JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
HollyW (Offline)
New to JF

Photography Questions - 04-08-2009, 08:43 PM

Hello, everyone!

I am making my first trip to Japan (Tokyo) next month. I've read a lot of conflicting information about where photos are, and are not, allowed. I am a big fan of Japanese graphics and packaging design; I would love to take pictures of the products I see in various markets. Some people have said that they were told not to take photos, while others have posted large photo and video blogs of every imaginable thing.

What has your experience been with regards to photography? I respect a ban on photos in sacred spaces such as the inside of shrines and temples, but what about other places?

Thanks in advance for your input!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-08-2009, 09:12 PM

In my experience, if they don't want photos to be taken, big signs will be displayed saying so.

At the same time, if you ask if you can take photos, the answer will generally be "no".

So I don't ask. I took a ton of photos in manga shops and drug stores. Always turned the flash off (didn't need it anyway). I took pics in front of staff, and never was told to stop. Again, though if I had asked directly, I would have probably been told to stop.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
HollyW (Offline)
New to JF

Wink Thanks for the advice - 04-09-2009, 02:35 AM

I'm bringing two cameras; one with a 20x zoom lens and one subcompact that will fit in my pocket. I call the small one my "spy camera." I'll use that to take flashless pics in the shops.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ChiAmaterasuNeko (Offline)
♪~♫~♪

04-09-2009, 02:41 AM

Oh, how exciting! I hope you enjoy your trip, and be sure to post some of the pictures here for us to enjoy! ^^ I also like the graphic designs on Japanese packaging. For some reason...they're somehow so much better than American packaging.

My JapanForum Family:
SephirothVVC--Psychotic Partner in Crime
HikkiFM--Adopted Daughter
Pexster -- My Cute Little Experiment

Member of: Shinobi no Mono Clan
(#5 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-09-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
In my experience, if they don't want photos to be taken, big signs will be displayed saying so.

At the same time, if you ask if you can take photos, the answer will generally be "no".

So I don't ask. I took a ton of photos in manga shops and drug stores. Always turned the flash off (didn't need it anyway). I took pics in front of staff, and never was told to stop. Again, though if I had asked directly, I would have probably been told to stop.
I've had the same experiences. I don't think I was actually told not to take pictures but did get some disapproving looks though. Most places that don't want pictures taken will have signage saying so.

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-09-2009, 08:50 AM

Photography is generally prohibited in museums, but I've had no trouble taking pictures anywhere else. Every cell phone in Japan has a built in camera, and people take pictures of everything, everywhere, all the time. Don't worry about whether or not its okay unless someone tells you it isn't. If they do, act sorry, say "sumimasen", and don't pay it another thought.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-09-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyW View Post
I'm bringing two cameras; one with a 20x zoom lens and one subcompact that will fit in my pocket. I call the small one my "spy camera." I'll use that to take flashless pics in the shops.
The signs are quite noticeable, it will definitely give you a good idea where Picture is not allowed or if flash is not allowed. My experieince is that Shrines, temples and castles does not allow flash photography (ok without flash), Museum does not allow photography unless specificed

There are several places I've been to with lower ambient light, they also don't allow flash photography to avoid other people in the area being disturbed
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-10-2009, 03:18 AM

Ok, in Museums you can take photographs but **NEVER EVER USE A FLASH**
If every person takes a picture of a monet using a flash it will fade the painting. NEVER USE FLASH IN A MUSEUM. Best option is to use a point and shoot on ASR setting (ASR is Auto Shake Reduction) and on this setting the camera take mutiple shots (samples) and overlays them to create a final image.

In Anime shops and other neat places you will see the NO CAMERA sign. This is for idiots and should be disobeyed at all times. Again, use a point and shoot on ASR or whatever setting you use that does not involve FLASH. Only stop if you are approached by staff telling you "no pictures", then relocate and take more pictures. You are stupid gaijin and do not know any better.

Top Tip.
Most newer point and shoot cameras can shoot video at quite good quality. You can walk around while recording video and make it look like the camera is not operating and that you are looking for a shot. You can even show people the camera while recording video and they will assume it is a still shot cam and be quite happy to be natural for it.

Marc.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-10-2009, 11:18 AM

It's certainly a lot easier getting away with snaps in a no-photo zone if you have a compact camera.

If you're on a DSLR with heavy glass on the front (particularly, say, L-series lenses, which are often cream-coloured rather than black), you're doomed

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Inside Stores and Arcades are usually a no no but you can get away with it.

Shrines are fine but no pictures of the inner shrine

Everything I shot in Tokyo during my trip is here