JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
poppies (Offline)
New to JF

my boyfriend is in osaka and i am in tokyo, help! - 04-14-2009, 10:52 AM

hello!

as what the topic says, my boyfriend studies in the other part of japan. since we like each other so much, we plan to meet each other every weekend, meet up friday night and go home during monday morning just in time for school. but the thing is, we want to keep it sustainable for the next few years that we are living here. any suggestions? for now, we make use of the shinkansen and the night bus. any ideas on how to improve our current situation. and also, i want to know if you guys are also experiencing the same situation or know of other people who are. please share!

thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-14-2009, 12:50 PM

Ouch. That's going to be extremely expensive by Shinkansen, surely?

I believe there's an overnight train between Osaka and Hachinohe which stops in Tokyo. It takes about half a day, but as it's an overnighter you can spend that time asleep, and it's far cheaper than bullet train.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SephirothVVC (Offline)
Death Is The Cure

Send a message via MSN to SephirothVVC Send a message via Skype™ to SephirothVVC
04-14-2009, 05:23 PM

my Girlfriend lives in a different stateT-T she had to move for school....so we just survive on the fact that we will see each other on breaks;.;!!!! it SUCKS

"I despise practically everything about human life, which does limit one's weekend activities."
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ChiAmaterasuNeko (Offline)
♪~♫~♪

04-14-2009, 05:25 PM

It may be hard, but it can definitely still work to have a long distance relationship. One of my good friends has a boyfriend who lives in another country because his parents are missionaries. They see each other very rarely but have still remained close. ^^

My JapanForum Family:
SephirothVVC--Psychotic Partner in Crime
HikkiFM--Adopted Daughter
Pexster -- My Cute Little Experiment

Member of: Shinobi no Mono Clan
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-14-2009, 05:36 PM

It may be cheaper for both of you to take a highway bus to a between point and meet up there.
Shinkansen from Osaka to Tokyo (or the other way around) is about 14000 for one way. A night bus for the same is around 4000 to 5000, but will take about 8 hours (!!) to get you there.

However, a bus to Nagoya is only 2500 (from Osaka, 2900 from Tokyo) and will get there in about 3 hours. A 5000 or 6000 roundtrip for each of you, and the cost of a hotel where you go.

If I were in your situation, I would be more worried about spending as much time as possible with my boyfriend putting costs second (but still keeping them important).
If you are meeting up at a midpoint, you can keep costs low while still making the whole event a sort of special thing by meeting at various different places and staying at hotels. Like a special vacation each time you meet up.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
poppies (Offline)
New to JF

04-15-2009, 07:06 AM

i checked the night train prices and the cheapest would go for 8000. times are also irregular also for it seems these trains seldom stopover at osaka. but ive seen the pictures of the inside and they look quite comfy. i wont do this every weekend, but i certainly would try it for the experience soon.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
poppies (Offline)
New to JF

04-15-2009, 07:09 AM

hmmm the bus to nagoya is quite a good idea. the only thing now would be money for hotels and stuff. but i guess for certain occasions we could try this one. : )
(#8 (permalink))
Old
VampireGirl1314 (Offline)
~I cant leave you~

Location: Japan 日本国, Jk Jk I live in Mexicali Mexico Baja California.
Send a message via MSN to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Yahoo to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Skype™ to VampireGirl1314
04-15-2009, 07:23 AM

thats terrible to hear.T_T
i wish i could help?

I could never be happier.
I found my missing piece and i know he wont leave me.
song by simple plan.
+{Member of the Crusnik Clan--Crusnik 04}+
+{Codename: Abel}+
I'm sorry for acting like this...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-15-2009, 07:30 AM

Actually I am kind of glad there was no Internet when I was in the exact same situation many years ago.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-15-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppies View Post
i checked the night train prices and the cheapest would go for 8000. times are also irregular also for it seems these trains seldom stopover at osaka. but ive seen the pictures of the inside and they look quite comfy. i wont do this every weekend, but i certainly would try it for the experience soon.
Night trains are pretty uncommon. They seem to sort of be a bit of a luxury. Night buses, on the other hand, are extremely common.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.