LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-15-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troo View Post
I think a lot of people prefer to stay longer purely because of the length of time it takes to get there. From many English-speaking countries it's a minimum 8 hours' flight, if not 12 or longer, so to take things at a relaxed, jet-lag-busting pace it's nicer to spend more than a week so that one can take it easy.

That and I can certainly think of a week and a half's stuff to do in Tokyo... But then I'd dawdle around every branch of LoFT, Tokyu Hands and Donki I could find
That's why I recommend going to other parts of Japan. Why fly 8 to 12 hours to spend all day in shopping mall?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
04-15-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
That's why I recommend going to other parts of Japan. Why fly 8 to 12 hours to spend all day in shopping mall?
Agreed. If someone were to offer me a free trip to Japan, anywhere I choose to go, it would not be Tokyo. I heard the number of gaijin there is basically just like being in a western area?

I'd probably go to Kyoto. Or back to Sapporo.

猿も木から落ちる
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Debi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-15-2009, 06:52 PM

Everyone pretty much said everything you had to hear.

I could simply add "Japan is one of the safest destination in the world. If you don't feel safe there, you will feel safe nowhere else."

Gimme a stick and I'll make a masterpiece out of it, go figure.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-15-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Agreed. If someone were to offer me a free trip to Japan, anywhere I choose to go, it would not be Tokyo. I heard the number of gaijin there is basically just like being in a western area?

I'd probably go to Kyoto. Or back to Sapporo.
Maybe Disneyland is like that on It's a Small World, but Tokyo is definitely full of Japanese people.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Debi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-15-2009, 07:05 PM

Roppongi is the most multi-cultural spot you will find in Tokyo.

Gimme a stick and I'll make a masterpiece out of it, go figure.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
04-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe Disneyland is like that on It's a Small World, but Tokyo is definitely full of Japanese people.
Do only Americans ride that? I guess this joke is over my head =[

猿も木から落ちる
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Matant86 (Offline)
New to JF

04-15-2009, 07:22 PM

I think that it is quite safe to travel in Japan, I was travelling first time there alone spring 2007 and I never had a moment that I felt unsafe. I was travelling around Japan from south to north and back for a month and I had wonderful time there. It was aiding me that I can speak little japanese, just so that I can ask directions, order food at restaurants and hotel or hostel reservations. I think it would be good to know some basic japanese phrases, because not everyone understands english.
I'll be visiting Japan again this summer and I'm very excited about it
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-15-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Do only Americans ride that? I guess this joke is over my head =[
I challenge you to go to any part of Tokyo (outside) and mistakenly think you were in a western country.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-16-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I challenge you to go to any part of Tokyo (outside) and mistakenly think you were in a western country.
Agreed. Although inside department stores in particular is horribly like being in a Western country, the outside world - even in Central Tokyo - isn't. Certainly Tokyo has the occasional Starbucks, but thankfully the Japanese are far too mental to allow the American conglomerates to take control

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
=Troo;698788]Agreed. Although inside department stores in particular is horribly like being in a Western country, the outside world - even in Central Tokyo - isn't.
Except the staff are much more friendly and the shops are more clean and well stocked. To the point of staff filling shelves within 30 secs of you taking an item. (exagg but close to the point.).

Back to the subject.

From a male perspective Tokyo (excluding roppongi) is about the safest place to get wasted, sleep where you fall and wake up with all of your money/cards/clothes ect all intact. Even the police will leave you to sleep it off unless you choose the road as your futon.

Drunks are easy to deal with. Just make loud noises at them and they should be happy enough.