JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
AkuNoHana (Offline)
New to JF

05-26-2009, 01:23 AM

I'm female and I went two years ago by myself and spent a week in Tokyo. I've never felt safer and had a wonderful time.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
lself (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2009, 01:56 AM

I traveled by myself in Japn as well. I was out late quite a few nights too because of going to concerts, etc. It felt very safe to me too. I was even staying in an area where there are lots of drunken old men but they never bothered me. So yeah, just be sensible and you should be fine.

雅はアメリカに行きます!
빅뱅하고 태군하고 허영생하고 동방신기하고
MBLAQ하고 아웃사이어하고 F.Cuz하고 U-Kiss를사랑해요!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
.......and unless you are going to Touhoku (and I don't see Touhoku on many travel plans) I wouldn't worry about that.
Ah yes... Tsugaru-ben. I spend a lot of time up there in Aomori-ken. Just about unrecognizable from "standard" Japanese. Young kids there can have trouble talking to their grandparents. But even way up there, most people under the age of 50 also understand "regular" Japanese....... even that spoken by a New England gaijin with limited skills.

And Japanese cities are far safer places than a lot of American cities. Comparing Tokyo with maybe LA....... there IS no comparison at all. Even Kabuki-cho at night is not all that bad when compared to the "bad parts" of even smaller US cities.

Use a little common sense and you'll be FINE! Enjoy.

best,

.................john
(#24 (permalink))
Old
AkuNoHana (Offline)
New to JF

05-26-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lself View Post
I traveled by myself in Japn as well. I was out late quite a few nights too because of going to concerts, etc. It felt very safe to me too. I was even staying in an area where there are lots of drunken old men but they never bothered me. So yeah, just be sensible and you should be fine.
I was also wandering the streets late one night after a concert and felt perfectly safe.
I'm bookmarking your blog so I can read about your trip. I'm going back at the end of June.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-26-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyewonee View Post
I have been saving up some money and am hoping to go visit Japan sometime next spring. However, my friend who was doing the same thing saving decided that she no longer wants to go visit.

Although, there is a long time before I actually get to travel there, there are somethings worrying me. I really never traveled just by myself to out of US before.

My concern is how dangerous it would be to travel to Japan for 2 weeks by myself. Being female and not being able to speak Japanese at all.. I prabably will try to get a set tourist trip but was hoping to take some time to myself adventuring.

Would it be safe enough to go out by myself sight seeing? I do not plan to wander out late at night but was hoping to find little nooks and cranny tea shops and temples and such.

daytime is very safe, and Japan is certainly famous on the world map as qualifying at the top, so don't worry.

If you are interested in Green tea, make sure you visit Uji shi. It's a beautiful place, and the small tea shops along the river make for a beautiful time.

Take a taxi from Kyoto station.

Cheers - Oz
(#26 (permalink))
Old
lself (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-27-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkuNoHana View Post
I was also wandering the streets late one night after a concert and felt perfectly safe.
I'm bookmarking your blog so I can read about your trip. I'm going back at the end of June.
Oh, good. I only barely just finished it, even though I've been back a while. I wish I was going back I hope you have fun

雅はアメリカに行きます!
빅뱅하고 태군하고 허영생하고 동방신기하고
MBLAQ하고 아웃사이어하고 F.Cuz하고 U-Kiss를사랑해요!