JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-13-2009, 11:55 AM

If art and design is your thing, this may interest you: Tokyo Shopping Guide | asking for trouble

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-13-2009, 12:18 PM

Ooh yes, I found that a while ago - I'm really into crafts, so definitely plan on checking out some of those places.

If anyone else is interested in arty type stuff in Tokyo, Tokyo Art Beat has some good articles about events.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-13-2009, 01:12 PM

Awesome! Thanks

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
tumblingwater (Offline)
New to JF

06-20-2009, 04:59 PM

Thanks for tip on Sengaku-ji!
(#15 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-20-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
Anywhere in Japan that's particularly nice in September/October? Nice autumn leaves?
Nikko in Tochigi-ken. Stunning.

best,

..............john
(#16 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 05:44 AM

Alright! Less than a month to my trip, what do you think of my itinerary?

19 Sept
Tokyo

20 Sept
Osaka

21 Sept
Day trip to Koyasan from Osaka (still deciding whether to just stay overnight at a temple)

22 Sept
Day trip to Amanohashidate from Osaka

23 Sept
Hiroshima

24 Sept
Hiroshima

25 Sept
Kumamoto

26 Sept
Kagoshima

27 Sept
Fly Kagoshima -> Osaka, train Osaka -> Kanazawa

27 Sept - 9 Oct
Homestay in Kanazawa

10 Oct
Tokyo

11 Oct
Tokyo

12 Oct
Tokyo

13 Oct
Home

-

I'll be spending lots of time on trains which is a bit of a pain, but difficult to avoid if you want to go everywhere =/ I'll bring a good book or two with me. Before anyone points out that I'm missing some big places, I've already been to Nara, Kyoto, Miyajima, Hakone, Himeji on a previous trip.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
(#17 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
Alright! Less than a month to my trip, what do you think of my itinerary?

19 Sept
Tokyo

20 Sept
Osaka

21 Sept
Day trip to Koyasan from Osaka (still deciding whether to just stay overnight at a temple)

22 Sept

23 Sept
Hiroshima

24 Sept
Hiroshima

25 Sept
Kumamoto

26 Sept
Kagoshima

27 Sept

27 Sept - 9 Oct
Homestay in Kanazawa

10 Oct
Tokyo

11 Oct
Tokyo

12 Oct
Tokyo

13 Oct
Home

-

I'll be spending lots of time on trains which is a bit of a pain, but difficult to avoid if you want to go everywhere =/ I'll bring a good book or two with me. Before anyone points out that I'm missing some big places, I've already been to Nara, Kyoto, Miyajima, Hakone, Himeji on a previous trip.
Hmmm, ok, I don't think you need 2 days in Hiroshima. 1 should do it. Instead, you could spend a day at some other place. For instance, you aren't visiting either Fukuoka or Nagasaki on Kyushu? Have you already been to both places? If not, IMO Fukuoka is worth 1 day if you can spare it (if not, at least stop to eat real Hakata ramen from a street stand there), and Nagasaki is worth 2 if possible.

Are you using a JR rail pass to ride the shinkansen? If not, then you might consider skipping Hiroshima completely and going across the top of Shikoku rather than the bottom of Honshu. Consider the following:

21 Sept
Day trip to Koyasan from Osaka, stay overnight at a temple

22 Sept
From Koya-san, take train to Wakayama City (maybe visit castle), take ferry from Kansai airport to Awaji Island, see whirlpools in Naruto bay (http://www.wel-shikoku.gr.jp/eng/seto/uzusio.htm), sightsee on Awaji and/or Naruto.

23 Sept
Visit Takamatsu (Takamatsu City Web Site: Main sightseeing spot)

24 Sept
Visit Matsuyama and Dogo Onsen (Matsuyama Travel: Dogo Onsen , Dōgo Onsen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

25 Sept
Take ferry from west coast of Shikoku to east coast of Kyushu (I believe they go to Beppu), from there go to Kumamoto

26 Sept
Kagoshima

27 Sept

IMHO, these places in Shikoku are far more interesting than Hiroshima. Or maybe skip all of them, head straight to Kyushu, and spend 2 days looking around Nagasaki instead... Nagasaki is FAAAAAR more interesting than Hiroshima IMO, and has a lot of historical sites related to the Meiji era, the trading island of Dejima, old churches, and much more (Nagasaki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Either of these options is preferable to 2 days in Hiroshima, IMO.

Also, while you are doing the homestay in Kanazawa, be sure to visit the park, and try to get down to Takayama and see the Hida Folk Village.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan

Last edited by samurai007 : 08-28-2009 at 08:37 AM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-30-2009, 05:29 AM

Hmm, well my intention was actually to spend the morning in Osaka (I have a couple of friends there, who I was intending to meet up with), then travelling to Hiroshima in the evening and staying the night. I've already seen Hiroshima on a previous visit though (passing through on the way to Miyajima) and seen the Peace Park, so maybe I could switch it for one of the other places you've suggested. I haven't been to either Fukuoka or Nagasaki before.

I really want to avoid staying in a different city every night though - as much as I'm trying to travel light, I think it will be a pain moving all my stuff and checking in to different places each time. How far is Awaji Island from Osaka? Is it possible to do as a day trip?

Ooh, I just realised I'll be in Kyushu around the time of the Autumn festival in Fukuoka - I might have to spend a night there and see it.

EDIT: Revised plan! Still have a lot of hostel hopping, but hopefully it won't be too bad... I'm also doubling back to Fukuoka, but I really want to see the lighting of candles on the evening of the 25th and also need to be in Kagoshima to meet up with a friend on the 26th, and I'm unwilling to give up either =_=

Samurai, your suggestions of places in Shikoku look wonderful, but there's too many things I want to see in Kyushu and not enough time!

19 Sept
Tokyo

20 Sept
Osaka

21 Sept

22 Sept
Koyasan, temple stay

23 Sept
Nagasaki

24 Sept
Kumamoto, Mt Aso

25 Sept
Fukuoka

26 Sept
Kagoshima

27 Sept

27 Sept - 9 Oct
Homestay in Kanazawa

10 Oct
Tokyo

11 Oct
Tokyo

12 Oct

Tokyo

13 Oct
Home

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog

Last edited by ChisaChi : 08-30-2009 at 06:33 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-31-2009, 05:18 AM

Koya-san to Nagasaki in a single day is going to be a long trip, even if you take the bullet train. It will leave very little time to look around Nagasaki, and it's a city that deserves at least 1-2 days IMO. Do you have some special reason to see Amanohashidate? Maybe you could skip that so you'll be less pressed for time on Kyushu.

Awaji Island is very close to Osaka and would be an easy day trip.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#20 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-31-2009, 05:46 AM

Yeah, after posting that I actually looked properly into travel times. I've decided that I really don't have the time to put into doing Nagasaki properly, so I'll be going to Hiroshima for that day instead. I understand your points but I think it's an easier in-between point to spend the night in, and there are a few things there I'd like to check out.

Amanohashidate just looked like it was pretty unique and picturesque, so I think I'd rather see it than another Japanese city unless there's something particularly interesting. Have you been there? Would you say that it's more or less interesting than Awaji?

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog