LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderX View Post
I live in the US and was wondering, aside from English Teacher, what other jobs could take me to Japan?

Also, would Manga/Anime companies hire a caucasian writer even if he's skilled in writing mangas (and other comic books for that matter, just nothing officially published....yet)?
Their are many other jobs. You need to pursue the job sites to get a good idea.

I would say the competition in Japan with writers for Manga and/or Anime is strong, considering it's in Japan, the home of it all.

If your work is good, you may get something with one of the English information magazines. I guess you would really need to contact them as it's hard for anybody to say unless it's coming form the source.

Good luck each and every way you go

Cheers - Oz
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Kahvi (Offline)
New to JF

05-25-2009, 03:31 PM

How likely is it to get a job of a hostess if one doesn't know much of japanese, but happens to be cute and naturally blonde?
I'm also planning on going to Japan, and it'd be awesome to somehow work there too.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Testament33 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Testament33 Send a message via MSN to Testament33 Send a message via Yahoo to Testament33
05-26-2009, 12:38 AM

Im 17 and graduating next year and will attending a community college then an art institute and finishing it up. What are the chances of me getting hired as a Video Game Graphics/Character Designer? Im attending Art Institute of Atlanta hearing that they have a graphics design course and im interested to join.

But as soon as i finish up my 6 (more or less) years of college, im thinking about moving to japan to follow my dream. Besides, Japan is the center of video game technology :] atleast to me it is >_>

Favorite Movie of all time~ 5 Centimeters per Second woot!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
everybest (Offline)
JF Regular

05-29-2009, 05:49 PM

Just curious, is there any racial discrimination when job searching in Japan? I'm from Taiwan and I've heard several stories from white folks about how hard it is to find a job here because of race. Having been to Japan numerous times though, I can imagine them being more open to foreigners, especially in the big cities with so much tourism and all the big electronic corporations going international.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
05-29-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybest View Post
Just curious, is there any racial discrimination when job searching in Japan? I'm from Taiwan and I've heard several stories from white folks about how hard it is to find a job here because of race. Having been to Japan numerous times though, I can imagine them being more open to foreigners, especially in the big cities with so much tourism and all the big electronic corporations going international.
I dont know from experiance but I've heard that sometimes companies will hire a person fluent in Japanese that is of Japanese heritage other then somebody who is fluent in Japanese and a foreigner.

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-29-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
I dont know from experiance but I've heard that sometimes companies will hire a person fluent in Japanese that is of Japanese heritage other then somebody who is fluent in Japanese and a foreigner.
So you are saying in Japan for a job requiring fluency in Japanese, Japanese companies will sometimes hire a native Japanese speaker rather than a non-native Japanese speaker who needs to be processed through the government for entry and visa and who will probably have to be hand-held for everything from housing to filing taxes?

Those racist bastards.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
05-29-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
So you are saying in Japan for a job requiring fluency in Japanese, Japanese companies will sometimes hire a native Japanese speaker rather than a non-native Japanese speaker who needs to be processed through the government for entry and visa and who will probably have to be hand-held for everything from housing to filing taxes?

Those racist bastards.
I had to smile at that post, good stuff MMM

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#18 (permalink))
Old
everybest (Offline)
JF Regular

06-01-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

Those racist bastards.
Oh, I see, so it never happens because everybody has an excuse.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-01-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybest View Post
Oh, I see, so it never happens because everybody has an excuse.
Absolutely. Why would you think every job in Japan should be in the international marketplace?
(#20 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-01-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahvi View Post
How likely is it to get a job of a hostess if one doesn't know much of japanese, but happens to be cute and naturally blonde?
I'm also planning on going to Japan, and it'd be awesome to somehow work there too.
Very likely..

Have fun

Cheers - Oz