JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
popster (Offline)
New to JF

finding a good, group japanese lesson - 04-19-2009, 09:21 AM

After being in Japan for several months, I decided to take advantage of free Japanese lessons. In Tokyo, I've taken free lessons in 2 locations near Tachikawa.

The vast majority of students are intermediate or higher level Asian people.

It seems that I've had bad luck finding a class for beginners. I can read Hiragana/Katakana slowly. Unfortunately, I understand only about 20 kanji characters.

The classes have no structure, no planning, no organization, etc... Plus, I've been attending the same classes for over 2 months but never get the same teacher. I study from my textbook, Genki An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese. The teacher is not interested in using it.

I know the old adage goes, "You get what you pay for". I've never experienced anything this disorganized. After every class, I want to quit. Somehow, I convince myself there will be some value the next class and drag myself to class the following week.

Can anybody recommend a good, group Japanese lesson for beginners near the Tachikawa area? I can only attend evenings or weekend sessions. I am now willing to pay for the classes.

Thanks in advance