JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Sumo in May. - 04-20-2009, 10:34 AM

Hi everyone

I tend to watch Sumo on TV while in Japan (oddly my visits tend to coincide with tournaments), but this time I'd like to attend the Kokugikan and watch a day's bouts live.

I don't want to advance-buy the tickets from outside Japan, as the courier fees are ludicrous. I'm more than happy to buy from the ticket office once we get to Tokyo, so, a few questions:

1: Can I turn up on, say, a tuesday and ask for tickets for the thursday? Or can I only buy a ticket for the day I attend the box office?

2: Are tickets available from Lawson convenience stores? If so, are they same-day only, or can they be bought in advance?

I'm shooting for Arena C seating, because it's the cheapest, so hopefully ticket availability won't be too problematic (and we won't be aiming to go in the last days of the tournament).

Cheers!

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Happyandcontent (Offline)
New to JF

04-20-2009, 02:43 PM

Nihon Sumo Kyokai Official Grand Sumo Home Page

Hope this helps

I was planning to go too, btw, are you aware if photographing is allowed in there?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-20-2009, 03:51 PM

I've already read that page, but the English is somewhat loose and vague. I was hoping someone here either had experience, or could read the Japanese. While my Japanese is good enough for me to turn up and ask for a couple of tickets in the right area for a specific day, it's not quite at the stage where reading comes easily.

I believe that photography is allowed so long as one does not use flash.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
HollyW (Offline)
New to JF

I'll be there! - 04-20-2009, 03:52 PM

I bought a box seat online, and ended up with second row! I didn't mind paying extra, since it's kind of a once-in-a-lifetime experience. They mailed the ticket to me; took less than a week to get to the U.S. My ticket is for the 14th. Now I have to practice sitting cross-legged on a pillow for an extended period of time; ouch! Oh, and the company I bought the tickets from said that photos ARE allowed. I'll definitely be taking pictures!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-21-2009, 08:25 AM

Awesome!

Alas as I'm in the UK buying overseas doesn't appeal, since while the tickets I'm after are about £25 each, it'd cost an additional £30 to pay for the agent to purchase them and courier them to me. If I were willing to pay £50 per seat I'd just get the more expensive ones once I'm there

I guess I'll just have to see what the Lawson machine says when I get there.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

04-21-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troo View Post

1: Can I turn up on, say, a tuesday and ask for tickets for the thursday? Or can I only buy a ticket for the day I attend the box office?

2: Are tickets available from Lawson convenience stores? If so, are they same-day only, or can they be bought in advance?

I'm shooting for Arena C seating, because it's the cheapest, so hopefully ticket availability won't be too problematic (and we won't be aiming to go in the last days of the tournament).
1. At the Kokugikan box office, you can buy any of the tickets that are available at the time of your visit, either for that very day or for a future date.

2. Yes, they are. Tickets can be bought in advance, which is recommended. Only when there are seats left, same-day tickets can be bought at Lawson.

Right now, Arena C looks to be wide open except for the Sat. and Sun.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-21-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
1. At the Kokugikan box office, you can buy any of the tickets that are available at the time of your visit, either for that very day or for a future date.

2. Yes, they are. Tickets can be bought in advance, which is recommended. Only when there are seats left, same-day tickets can be bought at Lawson.

Right now, Arena C looks to be wide open except for the Sat. and Sun.
You, Nagoyankee, are a star! Hopefully by the time we arrive there will still be some weekday Arena C seats available. If not, there's always the TV