JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
microbial (Offline)
New to JF

Planning a Trip - 04-21-2009, 02:56 AM

Hello~ I'm currently planning a trip to Japan for sometime next year. I pretty much have in mind what I'd like to do so far, but I thought I'd make sure I'm not missing anything. Basically, I'm wondering if anyone could share with me their favorite places (anywhere) in Japan, or the places that they most want to vist. Also, any interesting shops/restaurants/ect that aren't too well known would be great to know of too. thanks~ (≧∀≦)♪
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

04-21-2009, 03:05 AM

Kyoto:

Gion, Pontocho (Night) dinner at a Japanese riverside restaurant on Kiyamaatchi Dori (Street) expect to pay $$$

Finish off the night at a relaxing hostess bar (male only) as they are a great experience.

Nara (Original capital):

Head to the older parts, somewhere like Kashihara City and venture off for a nice walk to the older part of the city as it represents the original Japan street life as it was and still is in that area.

The above two really give you a real original Japan insight.

For shopping and all brands, Osaka, or for real heavy crowds, Tokyo (never been)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-21-2009, 11:08 AM

What interests you, microbial? Are you in to toys, martial arts, books, gardening, crafting, microbes, or... what?

If you want what I'd call interesting, then head to the Meguro Parasitological Museum. Their shop sells dead parasites in keyrings

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-21-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbial View Post
Hello~ I'm currently planning a trip to Japan for sometime next year. I pretty much have in mind what I'd like to do so far, but I thought I'd make sure I'm not missing anything. Basically, I'm wondering if anyone could share with me their favorite places (anywhere) in Japan, or the places that they most want to vist. Also, any interesting shops/restaurants/ect that aren't too well known would be great to know of too. thanks~ (≧∀≦)♪
As Troo pointed out, we need to know your interests before we can make any suggestions. How long are you going for? And which area are you going to stay in?

Osaka, Shibuya, Daiba, Yokohama, Ginza.. these are all great shopping areas. You can find some interesting stuff in Kobe as well. For sightseeing, there are just too many to list, so if you can answer the above questions, maybe I can suggest more.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
microbial (Offline)
New to JF

04-22-2009, 03:04 AM

Thank's for the suggestions~ x) I'm really not looking for more things I'd be interested in, 'cause I've pretty much got that all mapped out. I'm just seeing what the best things to other people would be (in any city).

The riverside restaurant and Meguro Parasitological Museum sound really nice. o.o; I never would have thought of those lol
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-22-2009, 07:46 AM

I really enjoyed Miyajima - it's a little island near Hiroshima, famous for the 'floating' gates and temple. If you go during high tide it's really beautiful!

Also really enjoyed the traditional ryokan and onsen in Hakone - it's really fun dressing up in yukata, having a beautiful traditional dinner served in your room and trying out the hot springs.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

04-22-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
I really enjoyed Miyajima - it's a little island near Hiroshima, famous for the 'floating' gates and temple.
It's a shrine, not a temple. This is important because you're talking about two completely different religions.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbial View Post
Thank's for the suggestions~ x) I'm really not looking for more things I'd be interested in, 'cause I've pretty much got that all mapped out. I'm just seeing what the best things to other people would be (in any city).

The riverside restaurant and Meguro Parasitological Museum sound really nice. o.o; I never would have thought of those lol
Fair enough, but where are you staying and for how long? I don't want to just give you suggestions for places that you won't even be close to.

Nagoyankee A lot of people still make that mistake, I had difficulties telling my friend what Kiyomizudera is....
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RediscoverTravel (Offline)
JF Regular

04-23-2009, 10:22 PM

Personally I like the older and out of the way places like Mt Koya, Shirakawa-go, Magome and the like. Of course you will not be able to see all of Japan in 1 trip but a mix of must see places like Kyoto and some out of the way places like above make a balanced trip. Also if you will be in Japan during a cooler season I recommend visiting a hot spring (onsen) area.

---
Japanese Guest Houses
Ryokan (Japanese Inn) Reservation Service
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-23-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
It's a shrine, not a temple. This is important because you're talking about two completely different religions.
Ah sorry, I tend to use the words interchangeably sometimes and it definitely isn't correct >.<

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts