JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
HollyW (Offline)
New to JF

Tokyo Travel Question - 04-22-2009, 07:03 PM

Has anyone here had difficulty using their credit cards in Tokyo? I know you need to let your credit card company know when you're going to be out of the country so they won't freeze your account, but I've heard of people doing this and still having their accounts frozen when they started making purchases in Japan. Even though I'll bring a fair amount of cash with me, I'd like to feel confident that my credit cards will work when I'm there.

Any tips or horror stories?

Last edited by HollyW : 04-22-2009 at 07:14 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-22-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyW View Post
Has anyone here had difficulty using their credit cards in Tokyo? I know you need to let your credit card company know when you're going to be out of the country so they won't freeze your account, but I've heard of people dong this and still having their accounts frozen when they started making purchases in Japan. Even though I'll bring a fair amount of cash with me, I'd like to feel confident that my credit cards will work when I'm there.

Any tips or horror stories?
I have never had a problem, except with trying to get cash from a credit card. Don't count on that.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-22-2009, 07:29 PM

Yeah I've had no problems with using credit cards. Although Japan is a pretty cash based society and you will need cash for some things. I've been able to pull cash out at the ATMs in 7-11's using my U.S. issued Visa and MasterCard.

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-22-2009, 09:37 PM

I've never had any problems using my credit card for purchases in Japan. I didn't tell my card company that I was traveling either.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-23-2009, 07:44 AM

I specifically told my bank, in person, I would be living in Japan and needed access to my US accounts and cards.

So far, no issue.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I have never had a problem, except with trying to get cash from a credit card. Don't count on that.
Same experience, was not able to do cash advance (Crazy high interest anyways), but using it was not an issue. I did call them the day before I travel though.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RediscoverTravel (Offline)
JF Regular

04-23-2009, 10:17 PM

Some businesses have merchant accounts (accounts that process credit cards) that only accept credit cards issued in Japan even if your credit card is "international". This is rare but it does happen. I had one card that I could use at one store and could not use at a different store. Very odd!

For getting cash use the Post Office and make sure your bank knows that you are in Japan.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-27-2009, 10:46 AM

I've never even tried using a credit or debit card in Japan. I just take cash.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
kMal (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to kMal
04-27-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troo View Post
I've never even tried using a credit or debit card in Japan. I just take cash.
I would prefer cash too. Maybe because I don't trust credit cards, especially when I'm in a different country. A combination of your creditcard and cash money would be useful I guess.

music reflects the soul of the man
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-27-2009, 12:44 PM

The trouble with credit cards (other than me not actually having one) is that you get charged a percentage for using them in a foreign currency. Visa's charge is 1%. Your bank may then decide to slap an extra charge on top of that, so it often really comes to 2-3%. It's blended in with the exchange rate, so you don't see this hidden charge.

The additional trouble with credit cards in Japan is that the majority of businesses simply don't take them. You'll likely do OK in a large city so long as you only shop in large or chain stores, but the moment you see something in an independently-owned shop (of which there are pleasingly large number in Japan) away from tourist areas you need cash.

If you don't like carrying cash and you'll be staying in cities you might like to get something like a SUICA card on arrival. Many shops in Tokyo accept this as a method of payment, but again you can't rely on it.

Visa like to freeze my debit card when I'm in my own country, let alone travelling. Useless tossers.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.