JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
arashistorm (Offline)
New to JF

Japan in August... - 04-27-2009, 08:51 AM

My mother, sister and I are going to Japan this Summer, from the middle of August to the beginning of September (I know! Blistering HOT!). We're planning to get a JR pass for the first 2 weeks and want to use it as much as possible. Our primary stay will be at Gifu, although we have friends in Ikebukuro that we can stay at also. We've vacationed to Japan a couple times, but we always have trouble planning what to do. I'd like to go to as many concerts as I can, but most of the groups I like aren't touring at the time Any suggestions?

Are there any events going on at the time that we can go to? Like an omatsuri? an Expo? Concerts? Shows?

And one more: what kind of gifts should I get for friends/family in Japan?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Best gifts are things from your local town / county / country that they cannot obtain in Japan. Stuff with your hometown's name on it, for example. Pens, notepads, clocks - good old touristy kitch often goes down extremely well

Head over to the top floor of Tokyu Hands in Ikebukuro

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RediscoverTravel (Offline)
JF Regular

04-28-2009, 04:35 PM

I agree with Troo about something local. Food items are also a good idea as you can enjoy them with your friends. When I organized a tour of women from Michigan they brought dried cherries and shared them with their home-stay family. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

I do not know much about concerts but there are quite a few "Live Houses" in most major cities. Just do a Google search like "live house Osaka" or wherever you are visiting. Also the Japan Times lists concerts.

Good luck with the heat and carry some small towels to wipe off sweat. You can get these at a 100 yen shop. Clean ones also make fun, cheap, easy to carry omiyage (souvenirs).

---
Japanese Guest Houses
Ryokan (Japanese Inn) Reservation Service

Last edited by RediscoverTravel : 04-28-2009 at 04:37 PM.