JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
miho2 (Offline)
New to JF

Booking accomodation - 04-28-2009, 07:19 AM

Hi,

we are going to japan late next week for three weeks. We have an idea of an itinerary but haven't booked any accomodation, yet. I am wondering how difficult it will be on the spot. Arriving in a city and asking the tourist information for help? We would like to stay in a mix of not-so-expensive hotels, ryokan and hostels. Do we need to call ahead, or pre-book via the internet? I noticed that quite a few hostels in Tokyo are fully booked in May, already. It seems few Ryokan have online booking. Friends who just went told us it was difficult calling them without speaking good japanese which we unfortunately do not...

Any advise appreciated.
Michael
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-28-2009, 08:32 AM

The majority of staff at ryokan, minshuku, and so on do not speak English (or, at least, not terribly well). There are also many of these places who will not accept foreign guests without a local to vouch for them.

Book in advance before you go.

You're also going at possibly the worst time for finding accomodation. Golden Week starts on the 29th of April, and while it technically ends on the 5th of May, hotels and travel can be a pain in the bum for a few days after. You really should've booked this by the beginning of the year to stand any chance of getting your choice of accomodation.

You'll do better if you book whatever you can get up until about the 8th, then hunt for more traditional options for the remainder of your time, as people will be back to work and rooms will be more available.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kevf (Offline)
New to JF

04-28-2009, 11:34 AM

You might try someone like Hostelworld. They have all types of hotels including Ryokans, you can pick something in your price range / location. I've used them for 2 trips to Japan, you pay a small deposit to book online, then the balance when you arrive at the accomodation. It does reduce your flexibility with your plans though, but as Troo says, you are going at quite a busy time.
Hostels in Kyoto - Book Online at Hostelworld.com

Have a great time anyway,
Kevin
(#4 (permalink))
Old
miho2 (Offline)
New to JF

04-29-2009, 06:42 AM

thanks guys. I meanwhile booked a place in Tokyo and Kyoto. Hostelworld was quite useful. We are planning on seeing the festivals in Kyoto around May 16th. Seems quite a busy time, too.

Mike
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

04-29-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miho2 View Post
thanks guys. I meanwhile booked a place in Tokyo and Kyoto. Hostelworld was quite useful. We are planning on seeing the festivals in Kyoto around May 16th. Seems quite a busy time, too.

Mike
If May 15 is okay with you, there is Aoi Matsuri.

Aoi Matsuri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(#6 (permalink))
Old
miho2 (Offline)
New to JF

04-29-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
If May 15 is okay with you, there is Aoi Matsuri.

Aoi Matsuri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yes, there is Aoi Matsuri and also that Boat Parade on the Sunday, I believe. Guess these are attracting quite a few visitors.
Mike