JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-07-2009, 02:24 AM

Take the Keio line from Shinjuku Station to Takao-zan, and hike to the top. It's a good workout, you'll get to see a lot of interesting people, and the views from the mountaintop are great. It's nice to get away from the city once in awhile. The climb and descent only take about 3 hours.

When I first came to Japan, I couldn't get enough of Tokyo, now that I've been living here, I come to find that one part of the city is much like another. The city doesn't vary much, restaurants, shops, convenience stores, and traffic.

I find now that I enjoy the countryside/beaches/mountains much more than the city. The people outside the city are much friendlier, the prices are lower, and the atmosphere is much more relaxing.

If you have time, climb Takao-zan, it's close to Shinjuku, you can take a direct train there. You'll get to see the natural beauty that Japanese love instead of the concrete, aspalt, neon lights, and trendy poseurs of the city.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-07-2009, 02:56 AM

With the weather like this, you may not feel like going too far away. If it clears up soon, Takao-zan would be great.

If not, have you tried beer and yakitori at Omoide-Yokocho, the two-foot-wide alley just south of the Shinjuku station?

Tokyo Dome City is good for all the rides and/or natural hot springs. The Giants have games (baseball) at Tokyo Dome today thru 10th as well.

If you're into the otaku culture, Nakano Broadway is only one train stop away on the express.

You can also walk north to Okubo Street for the best Korean restaurants in Japan.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-07-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
With the weather like this, you may not feel like going too far away. If it clears up soon, Takao-zan would be great.

If not, have you tried beer and yakitori at Omoide-Yokocho, the two-foot-wide alley just south of the Shinjuku station?

Tokyo Dome City is good for all the rides and/or natural hot springs. The Giants have games (baseball) at Tokyo Dome today thru 10th as well.

If you're into the otaku culture, Nakano Broadway is only one train stop away on the express.

You can also walk north to Okubo Street for the best Korean restaurants in Japan.

I've made a note of Okubo street for hopefully a future visit.

Now, the most important part, can you name the street corners that have bins

Cheers - Oz
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Philipf (Offline)
New to JF

05-07-2009, 06:24 AM

Thanks for all the help, today is our last day(whats left of it) as we fly out at 11am tomorrow.

We spent the couple of days around Harajuku, the imperial gardens and will nip into Shinjuku centre later for coffee and arcades. The car games look good(never did find a garage supplying Mitsubishi FTO spares).

Thanks for the help, sorted the bin problem out with a carrier bag as suggested

Phil
(#15 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-07-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipf View Post
Thanks for all the help, today is our last day(whats left of it) as we fly out at 11am tomorrow.

We spent the couple of days around Harajuku, the imperial gardens and will nip into Shinjuku centre later for coffee and arcades. The car games look good(never did find a garage supplying Mitsubishi FTO spares).

Thanks for the help, sorted the bin problem out with a carrier bag as suggested

Phil
That's great Phil and glad you took my suggestion on board.

Have you seen an umbrella machine yet?

Cheers - Oz
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-07-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Take the Keio line from Shinjuku Station to Takao-zan, and hike to the top. It's a good workout, you'll get to see a lot of interesting people, and the views from the mountaintop are great. It's nice to get away from the city once in awhile. The climb and descent only take about 3 hours.
Actually that sounds so awesome I think I'll do that next week. Thanks!

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Philipf (Offline)
New to JF

05-07-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
That's great Phil and glad you took my suggestion on board.

Have you seen an umbrella machine yet?
Yes, even used 1!

Now its that, and the electric toilets we need in the UK
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-07-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipf View Post
Yes, even used 1!

Now its that, and the electric toilets we need in the UK
Tell me about it. But can you get a Toto Washlet here? Pffft. Not for a reasonable price.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.