JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Philipf (Offline)
New to JF

I'm in Shinjuku, have a few questions. - 05-05-2009, 11:19 AM

Hi, been here for a few days now, and have a few days remaining. I'm loving it and the weather has been great(apart from today).

Is there anywhere you would recommend in/around shinjuku. We have been ueno(the zoo was great), asakusa, akihabara and all over shinjuku. Any suggestions?

The main question I have is 'Where are the bins!?'. Im gathering rubbish throughout the day without a bin in sight. Are they hidden or am I missing something?

Also, a little language question. Is 'de wa mata' see you soon? When ordering something, does the number of items go first:

IE
'ni grande cappuchino onegai shimasu'(excuse the spelling)

or is it

'grande cappuchino ni onegai shimasu'.

Also, what is a less formal good bye, as alot of people are saying something Im not understanding, it sounds like the last bit is 'ma sa'.

Thanks, Philip
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-05-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipf View Post
Hi, been here for a few days now, and have a few days remaining. I'm loving it and the weather has been great(apart from today).

Is there anywhere you would recommend in/around shinjuku. We have been ueno(the zoo was great), asakusa, akihabara and all over shinjuku. Any suggestions?

The main question I have is 'Where are the bins!?'. Im gathering rubbish throughout the day without a bin in sight. Are they hidden or am I missing something?

Also, a little language question. Is 'de wa mata' see you soon? When ordering something, does the number of items go first:

IE

or is it

Also, what is a less formal good bye, as alot of people are saying something Im not understanding, it sounds like the last bit is 'ma sa'.

Thanks, Philip
Grande cappuchino futatsu kudasai will probably be more appropriate...

how many more days? Hop over to Daiba, that will kill a day... maybe take the shinkansen to Yokohama for another day?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-05-2009, 12:56 PM

You're not seeing bins because you're supposed to take your rubbish home with you rather than ditch it in the street

Seriously though I had no trouble finding bins in public spaces such as train stations, shrines, gardens, etc. If you've been carrying your trash around for a couple of hours, drop into a train station and see if you can't spot a bin - or just outside Metro station exists rather than inside the station.

You might also be missing bins for recyclables - rather than a one-hole-fits-all, these have specific compartments for paper, PET, cans, etc.

Basically just keep the first plastic bag you get and stash your trash in it. Sometimes you have to hang on to it until you get back to your hotel, other times you can get shot of it sooner. It's no real trauma.

I'd use "Ja, mata ne" for "see you", but dewa is equally suitable. "See you tomorrow" would be "mata ashita".

There are two counting systems in Japanese between 0-10. From 11 there is only one. If you want to use the ichi, ni, san... system, you should really add a counter type to the number, but it's not essential for a foreign tourist to get that right. I would also use o kudasai rather than onegai shimasu when asking for a physical item as opposed to an ephemeral (a service, for example). Thus:

grande cappuchino o ni-hai kudasai.

(where -hai is the counter for liquids in cups / bowls / glasses, etc. Not bottles, which is -pon or -hon).

In the other counting system - hitotsu, futatsu, etc - the number itself is all you need. No counter is required:

grande cappuchino o futatsu kudasai.

"mata" is the only real informal "goodbye" I know, but that doesn't mean there aren't others. Also, people might be saying shitsureishimasu, which more kind of means "Please forgive my impoliteness", if they're leaving at a time which they consider to be early, or if they perceive that they are cutting you short by leaving.

Depending on how many more days "a few" is, are you there long enough to catch the opening ceremony for the sumo? That might be worth a shot It opens on the 10th of May: Ticket Sales Information - Nihon Sumo Kyokai Official Grand Sumo Home Page

I heartily reccommend the Edo-Tokyo Museum: Edo-Tokyo Museum

If you like cats, head up to Ikebukuro and go to Tokyu Hands' 8th floor: http://ikebukuro.tokyu-hands.co.jp/

Sengaku-ji is a fantastic way to spend a couple of hours: Tokyo Travel: Sengakuji Temple

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-05-2009, 01:39 PM

You'll find rubbish bins at the station (inside the gates), and in front of larger convenience stores.

If you get tired of Shinjuku, you can take the Chuo line train to Hachijoji, which is nearby, and has a few more interesting things to see. The park there (near the station) is very nice.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Philip
Generally on most side walks, outside convenience stores, etc.

Once you spot one, you won't miss another.

In the meantime, possibly take a plastic supermarket bag along for the walk to put your rubbish in.

Cheers - Oz
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-05-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:

IE

or is it

Thanks, Philip
Missed the last questions.... are you referring to something that sounds like "Ja, ma ta ne"??? That will be "Ok, see you later then"
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

05-05-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:

IE

or is it

Thanks, Philip
I looked it up, and the site says it's see you again. (also it's dewa mata)
(Onizone.com - Learning Japanese Page 2)

but it does mean see you later according to japanese.about.com(Japanese Language - from About.com)

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-06-2009, 08:55 AM

Meiji Jingu shrine.

Shinjuku gyoen, the old imperial gardens are nice too it'll cost you 200 yen.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
undertaker229 (Offline)
New to JF

05-06-2009, 09:32 PM

Wow: A lot of options: (some have been said before):

- Taking the train to Yokohama Minato Mirai 21 (30 min.)
- Odaiba
- Meiji Jingu Shrine and Yoyogi park in Harakuju (specially on sundays!)
- Shibuya for great late night sightseeing (and Tokyu Hands is a must!)
- Tokyo Dome City for leisure!
- Shopping in Ginza streets
- Sushi in Tsukiji Market
- The Hama Rikyu garden near Shiodome (is BEAUTIFUL)
- The gardens around the Imperial Palace

Enjoy, I was there for two weeks and it has been the greatest trip of my life!

Ron.-
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-07-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troo View Post
You're not seeing bins because you're supposed to take your rubbish home with you rather than ditch it in the street

Seriously though I had no trouble finding bins in public spaces such as train stations, shrines, gardens, etc. If you've been carrying your trash around for a couple of hours, drop into a train station and see if you can't spot a bin - or just outside Metro station exists rather than inside the station.
I thought the lack of bins was largely due to past incidences of bombs being placed in bins.

A fair bit you can do..

+ Asakusa - Kaminarimon, temple, chocolate bananas!
+ Ueno - Science museum
+ Shinjuku - Batting practise
+ Harajuku - not the shops along the main roads but along quiet alleyways

A little further out..

+ Odaiba - Future Science museum (also the Ooedo onsen might be worth checking out)
+ Roppongi Midtown - just a slice of snobbery, everything here is so upmarket (hope that the chocolate fountain is still there :P)
+ Motomachi / Chinatown - nice place to eat and go for a bit of a stroll (the Minatomirai line is a bit expensive though)
+ Kamakura

I loved the science museums!

Last edited by Rogozhin : 05-07-2009 at 02:06 AM.