(#21 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-13-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoiChan View Post
*Points at myself* Am I a dangerous Japanese guy? ^_^;
I think it's the older generation that pose the greatest danger.

I've seen many a funny scene on the late trains in Japan.

Cheers - Oz
(#22 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-13-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
I think it's the older generation that pose the greatest danger.

I've seen many a funny scene on the late trains in Japan.
Yes, drunk salarymen can be seen seen on last trains of the night, but if you are talking "danger" I would cross the street toward the "older generation" drunk than I would the "younger generation" drunk any day.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RediscoverTravel View Post
Many trains have a "Ladies Only" train for rush hour that will keep dirty old men away from you. Other than trains and late night drinking you should be fine. If someone does do something that you do not like just start yelling at them in English. Just be careful and use common sense.
Ladies-only carriages on trains are usually the front three. The embarkation point for these are clearly marked on the platform. These are only ladies-only for the morning rush hour period - again, times are also clearly marked on the platform.

There are no corresponding ladies-only cars in the evenings, because salarymen tend to dribble out of the office at varying hours, so the train is never as rammed with them as it is at 08:00

Many Japanese men standing on a train will hold the overhead, hanging hand-grip while reading a newspaper or book with the other hand. Partly this is a way to pass the time without falling over or getting bored, but it also says to nearby ladies "My hands are full. It wasn't me."

Finally I have no doubt that a lot of foreign women go to Japan with ideas of getting groped on the train, so when someone does accidentally brush against them or bump into them, they choose to believe that they were groped. I'm not saying it doesn't happen - not at all. I just don't believe it's anywhere near as common as foreign ladies like to believe it is.

That or I'm freakin' ugly and no Japanese man wants to touch me

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-13-2009, 08:12 AM

I was on the train one night late coming home, and a drunk, probably around 60 year old salary mean kept yawning full open lunging towards a young short skirted gal as he did it on the opposite bench.

I was pretty much him, her and me.

I gave her the nod of security and we had a laugh. He evntually stood up, fell over and his glasses smashed.

Kind of funny really, but then again, four of him and one young sexy girl in a carriage late at night alone, now, I could understand that the girl would feel very un-easy, or just adding to MMM, yes, possibly same applies to younger salary men

Cheers - Oz
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-13-2009, 08:17 AM

True. But hanging out with drunk men on a train in the wee small hours is asking for trouble in any country

(#26 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-13-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troo View Post
Ladies-only carriages on trains are usually the front three. The embarkation point for these are clearly marked on the platform. These are only ladies-only for the morning rush hour period - again, times are also clearly marked on the platform.

There are no corresponding ladies-only cars in the evenings, because salarymen tend to dribble out of the office at varying hours, so the train is never as rammed with them as it is at 08:00
I wonder where that is true. On West Japan JR there are morning rush and evening rush hours.

(#27 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-13-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
just adding to MMM, yes, possibly same applies to younger salary men
If we are talking about "danger" and real threats, there is no need to talk about salarymen.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-13-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I wonder where that is true. On West Japan JR there are morning rush and evening rush hours.
Tokyo. Presumably in the west Salarymen have less opportunity to get pissed at 3am

(#29 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-13-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
If we are talking about "danger" and real threats, there is no need to talk about salarymen.
Milkmen, policemen, ordinary men, give me some more advice.

Cheers - Oz
(#30 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-13-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Yes, and it's also on Kansai Hankyu, although full time, no hourly limits.

A pink carriage painted with flowers

Cheers - Oz