JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Dangerous Japanese men? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/25006-dangerous-japanese-men.html)

electricalice 05-07-2009 01:21 PM

Dangerous Japanese men?

*insert ludicrous, adolescent, juvenile teenage concern from years ago over hypothetical Japan trip *

Eminee 05-07-2009 01:40 PM

:confused:

Where did you hear that japanese men will prey on white girls?

From my research, you couldn't be more wrong.

Polar 05-07-2009 02:03 PM

I think you would be just fine.

As aways you would use common sense but I saw tons of women walking down alleys that I wouldn't walk down anywhere else BUT Tokyo during the evening.

ozkai 05-07-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricalice (Post 711469)
never been to Japan but id really like to go one day because i find the culture and art interesting...the only problem is ive heard you have to be careful if you are a white girl in Japan because some japanese men will prey on you....also i am quite a babyfaced 'cute' type of girl and have had trouble enough with males in England....would it be advisable to go in a group of girls or with a boy thats a friend?

I agree.. Japanese men will definitely prey on you if you are as cute as you say..

It's a hard one.. Maybe just wear plain clothing or something.. Try not to make up or dress to sexy.. Pants instead of short skirts, head bands instead of ribbons, mascara on the cheeks instead of the eyes, etc...

Troo 05-09-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

never been to Japan but id really like to go one day because i find the culture and art interesting...the only problem is ive heard you have to be careful if you are a white girl in Japan because some japanese men will prey on you....also i am quite a babyfaced 'cute' type of girl and have had trouble enough with males in England....would it be advisable to go in a group of girls or with a boy thats a friend?

You are at most risk if you are blonde and get drunk with strangers in seedy bars at 3am. Just like you would be in any other country.

SaintKat 05-09-2009 09:38 PM

^ This. Also if you're worried about safety then go with friends/family. Besides, that way you've got someone to share your great memories with.
:ywave:

MMM 05-10-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

I am trying to think of a country safer than Japan for "cute white girls".

RediscoverTravel 05-12-2009 08:40 PM

Many trains have a "Ladies Only" train for rush hour that will keep dirty old men away from you. Other than trains and late night drinking you should be fine. If someone does do something that you do not like just start yelling at them in English. Just be careful and use common sense.

MMM 05-12-2009 08:41 PM

I changed the title to better reflect the contents.

survivingonrice 05-12-2009 08:52 PM

ahahaha i just had to laugh when i saw the title of this....r u serious? men from any country can be 'dangerous' but, seriously...how dangerous do u think japan is?

aha..haha

xYinniex 05-12-2009 09:53 PM

fail post.

I think in any country, any cute girl by themselves would be more at risk from being...molested. But it's not a very high risk.

So travel the world. Just be more cuatious with yourself and your belongings and you should be fine.

JayT 05-12-2009 09:54 PM

If anything it's the white man in Japan that's a danger to the Japanese girls :rolleyes: :D

SHAD0W 05-12-2009 09:58 PM

Koir 05-12-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHAD0W (Post 715544)
Lock up your daughters ;)

Do you hear that a lot where you're from, Shadow? ;)

SHAD0W 05-12-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koir (Post 715547)
Do you hear that a lot where you're from, Shadow? ;)

:confused: no?

alanX 05-12-2009 10:49 PM

I locked up Koir's daughter.

Koir 05-12-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 715571)
I locked up Koir's daughter.

Har har. The "yo mama" meme for the 21st Century! :rolleyes:

AoiChan 05-12-2009 11:56 PM

*Points at myself* Am I a dangerous Japanese guy? ^_^;

ozkai 05-13-2009 12:47 AM

Japan's a very safe country for girls.

The only danger is the odd flasher, stalker, but a soft female kick or scream will have them running for their lives!

nobora 05-13-2009 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozkai (Post 715632)
Japan's a very safe country for girls.

The only danger is the odd flasher, stalker, but a soft female kick or scream will have them running for their lives!

Really?! How interesting

ozkai 05-13-2009 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AoiChan (Post 715602)
*Points at myself* Am I a dangerous Japanese guy? ^_^;

I think it's the older generation that pose the greatest danger.

I've seen many a funny scene on the late trains in Japan.

MMM 05-13-2009 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozkai (Post 715798)
I think it's the older generation that pose the greatest danger.

I've seen many a funny scene on the late trains in Japan.

Yes, drunk salarymen can be seen seen on last trains of the night, but if you are talking "danger" I would cross the street toward the "older generation" drunk than I would the "younger generation" drunk any day.

Troo 05-13-2009 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RediscoverTravel (Post 715471)
Many trains have a "Ladies Only" train for rush hour that will keep dirty old men away from you. Other than trains and late night drinking you should be fine. If someone does do something that you do not like just start yelling at them in English. Just be careful and use common sense.

Ladies-only carriages on trains are usually the front three. The embarkation point for these are clearly marked on the platform. These are only ladies-only for the morning rush hour period - again, times are also clearly marked on the platform.

There are no corresponding ladies-only cars in the evenings, because salarymen tend to dribble out of the office at varying hours, so the train is never as rammed with them as it is at 08:00 :)

Many Japanese men standing on a train will hold the overhead, hanging hand-grip while reading a newspaper or book with the other hand. Partly this is a way to pass the time without falling over or getting bored, but it also says to nearby ladies "My hands are full. It wasn't me."

Finally I have no doubt that a lot of foreign women go to Japan with ideas of getting groped on the train, so when someone does accidentally brush against them or bump into them, they choose to believe that they were groped. I'm not saying it doesn't happen - not at all. I just don't believe it's anywhere near as common as foreign ladies like to believe it is.

That or I'm freakin' ugly and no Japanese man wants to touch me :D

ozkai 05-13-2009 08:12 AM

I was on the train one night late coming home, and a drunk, probably around 60 year old salary mean kept yawning full open lunging towards a young short skirted gal as he did it on the opposite bench.

I was pretty much him, her and me.

I gave her the nod of security and we had a laugh. He evntually stood up, fell over and his glasses smashed.

Kind of funny really, but then again, four of him and one young sexy girl in a carriage late at night alone, now, I could understand that the girl would feel very un-easy, or just adding to MMM, yes, possibly same applies to younger salary men:rolleyes:

Troo 05-13-2009 08:17 AM

True. But hanging out with drunk men on a train in the wee small hours is asking for trouble in any country ;)

MMM 05-13-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troo (Post 715828)
Ladies-only carriages on trains are usually the front three. The embarkation point for these are clearly marked on the platform. These are only ladies-only for the morning rush hour period - again, times are also clearly marked on the platform.

There are no corresponding ladies-only cars in the evenings, because salarymen tend to dribble out of the office at varying hours, so the train is never as rammed with them as it is at 08:00 :)

I wonder where that is true. On West Japan JR there are morning rush and evening rush hours.

MMM 05-13-2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozkai (Post 715832)
just adding to MMM, yes, possibly same applies to younger salary men:rolleyes:

If we are talking about "danger" and real threats, there is no need to talk about salarymen.

Troo 05-13-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 715842)
I wonder where that is true. On West Japan JR there are morning rush and evening rush hours.

Tokyo. Presumably in the west Salarymen have less opportunity to get pissed at 3am :)

ozkai 05-13-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 715843)
If we are talking about "danger" and real threats, there is no need to talk about salarymen.

Milkmen, policemen, ordinary men, give me some more advice.

ozkai 05-13-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 715842)

Yes, and it's also on Kansai Hankyu, although full time, no hourly limits.

A pink carriage painted with flowers;)

MMM 05-13-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troo (Post 715845)
Tokyo. Presumably in the west Salarymen have less opportunity to get pissed at 3am :)

There is no shortage of places to get drunk at any hour of the day or night in Osaka.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozkai (Post 715853)
Milkmen, policemen, ordinary men, give me some more advice.

I am not sure what you mean.

Troo 05-13-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 715939)
There is no shortage of places to get drunk at any hour of the day or night in Osaka.

Opportunity and location is not the same thing.

kiyuga 05-13-2009 04:04 PM

I'm sorry. But aren't there dangerous people everywhere? Come on... what kind of question was that anyways?

essy 05-13-2009 05:11 PM

I think japan is quite a safe country,there are dangerous people in every country but the risk of running into some in Japan is quite low.

Troo 05-14-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiyuga (Post 715957)
I'm sorry. But aren't there dangerous people everywhere? Come on... what kind of question was that anyways?

Do bear in mind that "Dangerous Japanese men" wasn't the OP's title for this thread. Her actual post gives a far better indication of the aim of her question.

Kyousuke 05-14-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

i think men will prey on woman anywhere dispite their locations.the first thing you should know is that men are dangerous animals. but either way being careful in a new place is advised.

MMM 05-14-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troo (Post 715951)
Opportunity and location is not the same thing.

Now I am not sure what you mean.

MMM 05-14-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troo (Post 716373)
Do bear in mind that "Dangerous Japanese men" wasn't the OP's title for this thread. Her actual post gives a far better indication of the aim of her question.

The original title of the thread was "Ive". I had no choice but to change it. If you can suggest a better title, then I am more than open to suggestions.

Kyousuke 05-14-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 716378)
The original title of the thread was "Ive". I had no choice but to change it. If you can suggest a better title, then I am more than open to suggestions.

no, its good. it does sound like were generalizing japanese men as dangerous animals, but it works.:)

MMM 05-14-2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyousuke (Post 716380)
no, its good. it does sound like were generalizing japanese men as dangerous animals, but it works.:)

"WE" are not doing anything wrong. This comes from the OP. WE are educating in the right direction.