JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Faggotry (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Faggotry Send a message via MSN to Faggotry Send a message via Skype™ to Faggotry
Going to Tokyo for 4 days in 2010 need help. - 05-08-2009, 08:58 AM

Hey, I'm going to Japan from the 11th-26th of January 2010.
I'm going to Nozawa Onsen for 10 days for skiing and Tokyo for 4 days.
I have been to Japan before and went to Shiga Kogen, Kyoto and Toyko however going to Tokyo was different to the rest of the trip as I did not research what to do well enough and even though being occupied and having an amazing time, I feel there was alot more I could have done.

I thought the Japan Forum would be easily the best place to ask for this and I have read some other threads in this section however they didn't exactly answer my exact queries.

1. In Tokyo, what are the best places to do, what are the best landmarks to see what districts are the best for the day, where is the best food, are there any futuristic quirky interesting museums or places to see? I want to make the most of this trip and want to see what places will be the best to go too.
Any other interesting tips or places about Tokyo will be greatly appreciated and all responses will aswell.

2. Anyone know anything about Nozawa Onsen? If so the same questions for Tokyo kind of apply.

(#2 (permalink))
Old
letstalk (Offline)
New to JF

05-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Kind of difficult to answer.There are a lot of things to do in Tokyo.What are you interested in? Start with basic and general and tell use wht you like.

Tokyo - City Guide
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faggotry View Post

I thought the Japan Forum would be easily the best place to ask for this and I have read some other threads in this section however they didn't exactly answer my exact queries.
Really? Because this whole board is filled with these exact queries.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
letstalk (Offline)
New to JF

05-08-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letstalk View Post
Kind of difficult to answer.There are a lot of things to do in Tokyo.What are you interested in? Start with basic and general and tell use wht you like.

Tokyo - City Guide
One more.Some stuff here about your onsen spot:

Alpine Villa Nozawa -- accommodation in Nozawa Onsen Nagano Japan for skiing and snowboarding
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Faggotry (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Faggotry Send a message via MSN to Faggotry Send a message via Skype™ to Faggotry
05-08-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troo View Post
Really? Because this whole board is filled with these exact queries.
Yeah, I know theres alot of queries alike but there was far too many pages to browse through alone.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-08-2009, 12:24 PM

If you are going to Tokyo and plan to stay at a hotel, I recommend you try the Prince Hotel in Shinagawa. The hotel is next to Shinagawa Station on the Yamanote line, which means you can access the most popular parts of Tokyo conveniently (the Yamanote line encircles the heart of Tokyo). The last time I checked, the room rate was about 8000 yen per night, which is an excellent deal for a modern, private room in metro Tokyo.

On the Yamanote line you can make stops at Shibuya (to see Hachiko and Shibuya crossing), Harajuku (cosplayers, clothes shops, etc.), Ikebukuro (the Ikefukuro owl statue, I have no other idea why people like Ikebukuro), Ueno (home to the Ueno zoo, Tokyo National Museum, the Museum of Western Art, and the duck boats), Akihabara (electric town, where you'll find electronic items which cost more than they do in America, but which you can't use without an electrical adapter), Tokyo (where you can walk to Ginza, the Tsukiji fish market, or the Imperial Palace), Shinjuku (where you can visit Kabukicho, or the ni-chome neighborhood, which your username hints you might be interested in).

In Ginza you can take the Ginza line to Asakusa (traditional Japanese souvenir capital of Tokyo) and visit the Sensoji temple. The Edo/Tokyo museum is located fairly close to Asakusa, as are Tokyo's most famous Sumo stable.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Faggotry (Offline)
JF Regular

05-08-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
If you are going to Tokyo and plan to stay at a hotel, I recommend you try the Prince Hotel in Shinagawa. The hotel is next to Shinagawa Station on the Yamanote line, which means you can access the most popular parts of Tokyo conveniently (the Yamanote line encircles the heart of Tokyo). The last time I checked, the room rate was about 8000 yen per night, which is an excellent deal for a modern, private room in metro Tokyo.

On the Yamanote line you can make stops at Shibuya (to see Hachiko and Shibuya crossing), Harajuku (cosplayers, clothes shops, etc.), Ikebukuro (the Ikefukuro owl statue, I have no other idea why people like Ikebukuro), Ueno (home to the Ueno zoo, Tokyo National Museum, the Museum of Western Art, and the duck boats), Akihabara (electric town, where you'll find electronic items which cost more than they do in America, but which you can't use without an electrical adapter), Tokyo (where you can walk to Ginza, the Tsukiji fish market, or the Imperial Palace), Shinjuku (where you can visit Kabukicho, or the ni-chome neighborhood, which your username hints you might be interested in).

In Ginza you can take the Ginza line to Asakusa (traditional Japanese souvenir capital of Tokyo) and visit the Sensoji temple. The Edo/Tokyo museum is located fairly close to Asakusa, as are Tokyo's most famous Sumo stable.
I stayed in the Shinjuku Prince Hotel last time and the JR was very helpful, I didn't see Ueno Zoo, The National Musuem, Western Art, Tokyo Tower, The Fist Market, The Place and didnt get to Harajuku and I'm not gay, the username was just impulsive. Still lots of the information you've given me is still relevan also whats Yokohama like?

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Faggotry (Offline)
JF Regular

05-08-2009, 01:24 PM

Accidental Double Post.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-08-2009, 05:28 PM

Still not sure what you are interested in, but I like Odaiba, the 水上バス, Akihabara, Toyo Metropolitan Government Building (for a rooftop view of the city) and Tokyo Tower for cheap thrills.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Faggotry (Offline)
JF Regular

05-09-2009, 08:57 AM

I'm interested in the Culture side of Japan, I'd like to see castles and temples, I'd like to see museums, I'd like to see the super advanced side of japan the futurist part. Also I'm open to suggestions of what other people think is very good to see. I also really want to buy some tea and tea pots and stuff while I am over there, where is the best spot to get that? and also where is the best spot to buy all that cool game related stuff like mario keychains and strange novelty merchandise related to gaming or anime any major shops. Lastly is there any good shops that sell artbooks?