JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
schrott (Offline)
New to JF

Day trips from Hiroshima using JR Pass - 05-10-2009, 10:49 AM

Could someone recommend interesting day trips from Hiroshima (not towards Okayama, Osaka, Kyoto etc) besides the Miyajima monument? I have a JR pass, so would like to use it to travel somewhere and then return to Hiroshima the same day.

Older cities with traditional architecture, beautiful scenery / landscapes etc. are some of the things that interest me.

Thanks for your help.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-10-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrott View Post
Could someone recommend interesting day trips from Hiroshima (not towards Okayama, Osaka, Kyoto etc) besides the Miyajima monument? I have a JR pass, so would like to use it to travel somewhere and then return to Hiroshima the same day.

Older cities with traditional architecture, beautiful scenery / landscapes etc. are some of the things that interest me.

Thanks for your help.
Did you climb Misen when you were in Miyajima? Thats a good option if you haven't done it....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2009, 07:37 PM

The Yamato museum in Kure is a popular destination. It has a 1/10 scale model of the battleship Yamato. The Yamato was the largest battleship ever built and was built in and at times based in Kure during WWII.

Iwakuni has a historical bridge that is somewhat popular as well.

In October, Saijo is home to a large sake festival.

Matsuyama, on nearby Shikoku island is home to the oldest onsen in Japan.

Also, if you haven't visited shukkein garden in Hiroshima city it is a nice way to spend a couple hours in the afternoon. When I was there in April we even got to see part of a traditional Japanese wedding ceremony.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-12-2009, 09:10 AM

Hiroshima Travel Guide

Chugoku Region Travel Guide

I know you didn't want to head as far east as Osaka, let alone further, but I can't help offering this: Iga Ueno Travel: Iga Ninja Museum

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RediscoverTravel (Offline)
JF Regular

05-12-2009, 08:34 PM

The Sea of Japan is very nice though I always drove from Hiroshima. Check out Japan Railways Group - Timetable & Fares for ideas on how to get north.

While in Hiroshima you need to eat Okonomiyaki (aka Hiroshima yaki in other parts of Japan). It is good, will fill you up and is cheap. Highly recommended.

---
Japanese Guest Houses
Ryokan (Japanese Inn) Reservation Service