JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
schrott (Offline)
New to JF

Tohoku region attractions? - 05-10-2009, 11:04 AM

What are the best attractions (old traditional cities, interesting landscapes / scenery, markets etc) in the Tohoku region, that are accessible by train (JR Pass)?

How would you rank these?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-11-2009, 08:34 AM

Here's a good guide to the area, including info on the major train routes: Tohoku Travel Guide

Alas I've yet to visit this region, so cannot offer first-hand advice.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-11-2009, 03:55 PM

Schrott,

I've spent a bunch of time in Aomori-ken over the years.

There are tons of onsen up there to explore. Well worth looking into.

Climb Iwaki-san.... known as the Fuji-san of the north.

Hirosaki-shi is a nice historic old castle town. Some of the castle is re-created there. The gardens there are well known for their cherry blossoms.

Aomori-shi tends to be pretty "generic", having been basically destroyed in WWII and more or less "rebuilt" after that.

If you happen to be in Japan on August 1-8th, that is the time of three of the biggest "fire festivals" in Japan. Check out Hirosak-shi and Aomori-shi, for their Nebuta Matsuri (Festivals) and Goshogawara-shi for the Tachi Neputa Matsuri. I've seen all three, and personally I think the Goshogawara-shi one is the best of the three. But all three are an experience not to be missed if you can. Think kinda' like, "Japanese Mardi Gras".

If you are up there in July and have an interest in ceramics, there is an international wood-fire pottery artist-in-residence program happening at Tsugaru Kanayama pottery in Goshogawara-shi for the whole month. Open to the public to view.

I have to run right now, but I'll stop back later to fill in some more stuff.

best,

..............john
(#4 (permalink))
Old
schrott (Offline)
New to JF

05-12-2009, 06:30 PM

Thanks, John. I look forward to reading more tips from you...the festivals sound very good, but I am concerned about getting reasonable accommodation during times of peak demand, such as festivals.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-13-2009, 05:08 PM

Schrott,

In Goshogawara-shi, here is a possibility:

http://www.japanican.com/hotels/Shis...spx?st=2150002

It is The Patio Sunroute Hotel. I once stayed there when the prefectural government put me up in it for a bit over a week and a half. It is a very basic, small "business hotel" type accomodation. Nothing fancy, but clean and centrally located in the the town.

Not much English though. (I speak a bit of "survival" Japanese.) But probably enough that you could make do without it.

best,

.............john
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
05-14-2009, 12:06 PM

Ok ill start from the Top:

about 1 hour by bus from Aomori is a Ryokan called "Sukayu-onsen". You can get to Aomori by train and if you book the Ryokan youll get a free lift with a bus. There is a beautifull Mountain hike (around 4 hours). You can get the Bus to drop you off at the Cable car and than hike from the Top to the Onsen) the bus can take your lagguage).
The Ryokan itself cost a bit over 10000yen with food, but if you take the option without food its only 5000yen for a single room wich is reasonable. They have a small kitchen there!
The Onsen itself is huge with milky water and dark wood everywhere. The water tastes lemony and it is mixed bathing (so dont be shy). Definetly one of my top spots and my favourite onsen! I wrote on my webblog in german but you can see the pictures from there here

From there you can head down towards Towada lake with a JR bus wich again has a nice little hike along the river and the lakeside is pleasant and quit.
again pictures here

I then went to Akita wich was nice but not stunning

Next stop was Morioka wich is very easy to acces by train and has a old castle ruin. From there i went on a day trip to Hachimantai (i think only bus!) see here

Next stop on the way down was Hiraizumi where there was once a "Buddist Paradise" with many temples. Today there are still some left and its a pleasant to spend a day there. It reminded me a bit of Nikko. Pics here and you will also find somethings on wikipedia

There is a place called Naruko onsen where i stopped for a night, its a quite typical onsen town and only worth it if you havent seen a city like this before. Its also a bit of the track (try finding Osaki and than go to the left) click

Next stop is Sendai wich is the biggest City in Tohoku (i think!) and nice for a few days. There are old castel ruins on the top of the hill and a "famous" cementry. Also try Guitan if you are there : ) click
However the real highlight in this Area is Matsushima bay, a bay with many small ilands with pine trees on it. It is one of Japans Top 3 sights and one of my favourites in Tohoku. see here

From Sendai you can get to Akiu Onsen in about an hour (by bus). Another Onsen town with a nice small george for a short walk. Not much else to do this i definelty a place to relax a day. There is a huge and expensive Hotel wich is awesome insinde. Now heres the nice point: I got a recommodation from the tourist office to stay in their Bussines Hotel next door for 3500yen and i could use all the facillities of the monster hotel. Very nice Onsen! click

You could now head out to the west coast to Haguro san, a holy mountain with a 2446 stairs approach (there is a bus) but its a bit far from the other things i described (aroudn 1 hour from tsuruoka) see. here

My last Stop was Yamagata and Zao Onsen, wich was nice but not special.

I hope that was not to much information.....
My Top 3 are: Sukayu Onsen/Hakko san hike, Matsushima and Hiraizumi.

Ive got a map with all the points (or most of them) here

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-15-2009, 07:31 PM

I concur on Sukayu, Firebird.

best,

...............john