LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-10-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
If you got married, don't you think your spouse would provide you with these kinds of things? She probably won't let you mooch off of her forever, but at least until you get on your feet. This goes for any country. You're (normal) spouse isn't just going to let you be homeless.
Given this situation, I'm not sure it would apply. This would be like being dragged under water by a drowning person. The odds of getting work or 'getting a footing' is quite a heavy toll without any experience, money, or education.

On a side note:
longfortheblur if your parents are going to pay for your college in the states, then take the freeby. Not only will it increase your chances of staying in Japan by 100x, education is knowledge, and knowledge is power. If you truly want to live in Japan, it will take time and planning. Short cuts can lead to dead ends. (Get a part-time job as well to save money).
(#12 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
05-10-2009, 11:11 PM

Yes, you will have a **** job for sure if you do this.

The very most you could get is some job at a bar or McDonalds.

(Assuming your Japanese is very fluent)

猿も木から落ちる
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-11-2009, 12:03 AM

With no college, there are almost no options. Even if you marry a Japanese citizen, the only jobs you'll find available are bar tending, waiting tables, or other jobs which pay 1000 yen per hour (or less).

Even if you do marry a Japanese, you'll have to pick one with a good job/income; immigration will not let you enter the country unless your spouse is employed and has the means to support you. Otherwise you'll probably need to be sponsored by one of her family members in addition to being married, which is even harder than it sounds.

You'll need a college education if you are to have any hope of a decent job in Japan or anywhere else. If you don't have the money for college, or the grades for a scholarship, join the National Guard in your state. They'll pay for 4 years of university, and you can attend school while you serve. You'll be ready to graduate by the time your enlistment ends. The Army paid for my education, it's nice not to have to worry about paying back student loans for the next 10 or 20 years.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-11-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Even if you do marry a Japanese, you'll have to pick one with a good job/income; immigration will not let you enter the country unless your spouse is employed and has the means to support you. Otherwise you'll probably need to be sponsored by one of her family members in addition to being married, which is even harder than it sounds.
THIS.

Something which everyone, including myself who did this, forgets.
You need proof of support in order to get that spousal visa - they won`t just give it to you.

When I got married, my husband was working enough to support us despite being a student at the time... But they would not even consider the visa until we had his father present a crapload of documentation showing that he was willing to sponsor me. And even then, a 3 year visa was pretty much a pipe dream. I got a 6 month visa. Then another 6 months, then a year, then another year... for 5 years before they granted me a 3 year visa. I had to have a kid, my husband hit manager class, AND me get a degree before they`d grant it.

Marriage does not equal some easy way to a visa. They still are saying I have pretty much no chance of getting a PR visa at this point because we married so young. Apparently young spousal visa holders are pretty often marriage for visa types - so immigration is not too kind their way.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

05-11-2009, 12:29 AM

Good points, Nyororin.

Let's say the Japanese citizen you are dating is quite older than you, how difficult would it to obtain a spousal visa? Immigration will deffinately frown upon this, but... how difficult do you think it would be due to the age difference?

猿も木から落ちる
(#16 (permalink))
Old
longfortheblur (Offline)
New to JF

05-11-2009, 12:39 AM

Oh, I decided I will not marry in my life nor have a girlfriend or something like that.

Anybody know any cheap Japan colleges?

Maybe if I really beg hardcore towards my dad, get some free homestay families, get my student visa, and work the 20 hours a week, find a uber cheap college, maybe I can convince my parents to go.

Last edited by longfortheblur : 05-11-2009 at 12:47 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-11-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
If you got married, don't you think your spouse would provide you with these kinds of things? She probably won't let you mooch off of her forever, but at least until you get on your feet. This goes for any country. You're (normal) spouse isn't just going to let you be homeless.
Well it all depends, again, I am using the Male as 18 in this example. How much older should the girl be? How establish will she be? Any typical OL's income in Japan isn't going to support 2 people for a long time you know....

Its a realistic world buddy
(#18 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

05-11-2009, 12:51 AM

Common sense still applies "buddy"

If your spouse is broke living in the dumps, barely taking care of herself, then obviously she can't take care of another person.

Also: MY situation is, different than the norm. My GF has lived on her own for a while. (She's moving to Australia for 6 months, then Canada for 12 months, then U.S. for 3, then back to Japan to work at the same job. So needless to say she has money.)

It would be one more person flushing the toilet and eating instant Ramen for a few months, not that hard to do "buddy."

猿も木から落ちる

Last edited by alanX : 05-11-2009 at 01:18 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-11-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Common sense still applies "buddy"

If your spouse is broke living in the dumps, barely taking care of herself, then obviously she can't take care of another person.

Also: MY situation is, different than the norm. My GF has lived on her own for a while. (She's moving to Australia for 6 months, then Canada for 12 months, then U.S. for 3, then back to Japan to work at the same job. So needless to say she has money.)

It would be one more person flushing the toilet and eating instant Ramen for a few months, not that hard to do "buddy."
First off, i wasn't referring to you when i made my comments and suggestions. I was replying to the person that started the thread.

I am also suggesting these things under "normal" circumstances, you said it yourself, you are situation is not the norm......

You can go ahead and try living that life for a while, and you will find out how realistic it is
(#20 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

05-11-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
First off, i wasn't referring to you when i made my comments and suggestions. I was replying to the person that started the thread.

I am also suggesting these things under "normal" circumstances, you said it yourself, you are situation is not the norm......

You can go ahead and try living that life for a while, and you will find out how realistic it is
I realized that, and I apologize, I thought you were directing those comments towards me.

I have. I've lived with a college grad in her apartment for a little less than one year. She managed an Aeropostale store, didn't have a car (no car payment), the apartment was fairly cheap, and ate 12 cent MaruChan instant ramen and Dollar Menu cheeseburgers almost everyday. We lived just fine.

猿も木から落ちる