LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

05-11-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
I realized that, and I apologize, I thought you were directing those comments towards me.

I have. I've lived with a college grad in her apartment for a little less than one year. She managed an Aeropostale store, didn't have a car (no car payment), the apartment was fairly cheap, and ate 12 cent MaruChan instant ramen and Dollar Menu cheeseburgers almost everyday. We lived just fine.
I weep for the future of your health.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#22 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
05-11-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
I weep for the future of your health.
Me too =(((((

猿も木から落ちる
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-11-2009, 03:48 AM

How much older is she, Alan? Too much older and you draw that much more attention to yourselves as a couple.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-12-2009, 06:25 AM

OP: Man, I wish my parents had paid for my university fees Seriously, if your parents will pay for your education in the US, then take it! If you're dead set on Japan maybe look into universities that have a good study abroad program, save up your money and go over there with that for a bit to see how you like it.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-12-2009, 09:07 AM

The natural solution to your problem, longfortheblur, seems to be this:

1: Accept your parents' generous but extremely myopic offer to pay for your college tuition.

2: Go to college in the USA. Do a degree in something which interests you. If you can get a degree in Japanese Studies that would be perfect, but your parents are extremely likely to smell a rat Do you like computers? Get a BSc in something which will enable you to work with them. Do you like art? Do a BA in something which will enable you to get a job as an artist. Get a degree in something that you can spend the rest of your life doing for a living.

3: STUDY JAPANESE IN YOUR SPARE TIME. Find a Japanese restaurant who's hiring wait staff if at all possible. If you can speak Japanese but your reading is ropey, spend your spare college time learning to read. Do not spend your spare college time going out, getting drunk, vomiting in your roomie's bed, then waking up at 3pm and missing your lectures.

4: Aim to pass the JLPT 2 (at the very least) by the time you finish your degree. Bear in mind that the JLPT is only administered and marked once or twice a year.

5: Leave uni with your degree and apply for jobs either with Japanese companies in America, or American companies with offices in Japan. Make it clear on your application form / covering letter that you intend to move to Japan, are fluent in Japanese, and are just awaiting the results of JLPT (whichever level you sat).

I know, it's a pain in the arse waiting another four years. But trust me, trying to get into Japan without a degree isn't going to get you far. You'll thank yourself when you're 25 and living in Japan

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-12-2009, 11:09 AM

Or, go to culinary school and study to be a chef. Study hard, and get yourself a few year's experience at a decent restaurant, then apply with one of the zillion or so foreign-themed restaurants or hotels in Tokyo. There is a provision for "culinary professionals" to obtain a work visa. "Professional" means you'll have 3 or more year's experience as a chef or cook.

Food is a big deal in Japan, it's a wonder people here aren't fatter than Americans. I can't watch any kind of television program without at least some mention of a restaurant or recipe. They even have a program called "Cooking with SMAP", where the members of the band compete in a cooking contest which is judged by some lucky fan. I'm getting tired of hearing OISHII!! or UMAI!! after some popular celebrity takes a taste of some kind of food.

Learn to be a chef (or a least a great cook), and you might find a way to work in Japan.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Ah, but a degree is useful everywhere, just in case he gets sick of Japan when he's 40

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
RediscoverTravel (Offline)
JF Regular

05-12-2009, 08:28 PM

You can get a cultural visa and live with relatives. Getting a cultural visa is not hard but you will need to be a full time student and pay for your lessons. Japanese language schools offer visa as do martial art dojos and other cultural schools. After a while (like 6 months??) you can get permission to work part time. Hello Work (http://www.hellowork.go.jp/) might be able to find you a job but without a degree do not expect it to be a good job. I recommend spending month or 2 in Japan in the summer to see if you like it. Then come home and go back to school. After that you can make a more educated decision on if Japan is right for you or not.

---
Japanese Guest Houses
Ryokan (Japanese Inn) Reservation Service
(#29 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
05-12-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Or, go to culinary school and study to be a chef. Study hard, and get yourself a few year's experience at a decent restaurant, then apply with one of the zillion or so foreign-themed restaurants or hotels in Tokyo. There is a provision for "culinary professionals" to obtain a work visa. "Professional" means you'll have 3 or more year's experience as a chef or cook.

Food is a big deal in Japan, it's a wonder people here aren't fatter than Americans. I can't watch any kind of television program without at least some mention of a restaurant or recipe. They even have a program called "Cooking with SMAP", where the members of the band compete in a cooking contest which is judged by some lucky fan. I'm getting tired of hearing OISHII!! or UMAI!! after some popular celebrity takes a taste of some kind of food.

Learn to be a chef (or a least a great cook), and you might find a way to work in Japan.
Is that what you did?

猿も木から落ちる
(#30 (permalink))
Old
longfortheblur (Offline)
New to JF

05-13-2009, 03:09 AM

Haha, seriously, they always say oishii or umai no matter what. I never hear them say mazui harhar.

I wonder if a psychologist can help me get rid of my japan obsession. It is a bit too crazy. Studying japanese for hours straight isn't even boring cuz im so obsessed with japanese w~. I was planning to major in Japanese in my senior year but now I already kind of know it, and would be just a waste of money to major in Japanese now -_-.

Maybe I should major in Linguistics, whatever that is.

日本に行こうとしておるのじゃ。