JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Roey (Offline)
New to JF

Americans going to Japan, concerned about flu scare - 05-12-2009, 04:54 AM

Hi everyone,

I am travelling to Japan with my husband in a few days. We live in Hawaii.

I am concerned because one of the people that we were supposed to meet with has declined because he was advised by his institution not to travel to North America or entertain guests from countries with swine flu. (He is in the medical community)

My question now is, are we going to be totally ostracized in Japan because we come from the U.S.? Are people going to be scared of us and not want to talk to us? I'm just asking because I don't know what the media is saying over there and what their attitudes on the subject are.

My husband and I are both half asian (he is half Japanese) so we might be able to blend in somewhat, and we are seasoned travellers, but I am still uneasy. I want to enjoy this trip! And part of the joy of travelling for me is interacting with people.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

05-12-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey View Post
Hi everyone,

I am travelling to Japan with my husband in a few days. We live in Hawaii.

I am concerned because one of the people that we were supposed to meet with has declined because he was advised by his institution not to travel to North America or entertain guests from countries with swine flu. (He is in the medical community)
I would say that's just common sense and professionalism. There may not be much risk of him contracting swine flu or being a carrier. But if he does, by the very nature of his occupation it'll spread amongst susceptible individuals.

Quote:
My question now is, are we going to be totally ostracized in Japan because we come from the U.S.? Are people going to be scared of us and not want to talk to us? I'm just asking because I don't know what the media is saying over there and what their attitudes on the subject are.
I have no knowledge of public opinion of swine flu in Japan. I'm sure other forum members will have accurate information. All I can add is a news article here in Canada that concerned Japanese exchange students contracting swine flu while visiting, and carrying it back to Japan with them.

Quote:
My husband and I are both half asian (he is half Japanese) so we might be able to blend in somewhat, and we are seasoned travellers, but I am still uneasy. I want to enjoy this trip! And part of the joy of travelling for me is interacting with people.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
General advice I can give is "don't let too much worrying ruin the trip entirely". As you say, you're both seasoned travelers so I'm sure you'll take extra precautions to reduce the chance of bad things happening. Maybe you can contact the people you'll be seeing the most of during your trip to get their views on the situation.

Good luck and enjoy the trip!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-12-2009, 08:55 AM

According to the Daily Yomiuri, some schools are postponing foreign trips in light of the influenza, but not very many have done so at the moment.

Schools postponing foreign trips : National : DAILY YOMIURI ONLINE (The Daily Yomiuri)

However, the same article confirms that Japanese students have now contracted Swine Flu, so you'll hardly be taking it with you.

The Mainichi Daily News has this amusing piece:

Japanese expats return from Mexico in droves due to flu outbreak - The Mainichi Daily News

I suspect anyone who's idiotic enough to fly home just because a few people in Mexico got the 'flu is probably likely to be idiotic enough to view you as a dirty, disease-ridden hafu who's come to tread mud through their house and drop litter on the streets. Naturally they're perfectly clean, so couldn't possibly have carried 'flu home with them, nooo

I particularly like this: "Currently, on-board quarantines are conducted for passengers arriving from Mexico and other countries that are home to swine flu patients. Those who arrived in Japan via a third country are also checked with health questionnaires. If a person suspected of infection is found, he or she will be isolated before going through disembarkation procedures."

Because sharing a flight with 400 other people then getting isolated on landing can't possibly pass an airborne virus onto others

Basically you'll always encounter some people in any country you visit who don't want to talk to you. Why worry?

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.

Last edited by Troo : 05-12-2009 at 08:58 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Roey (Offline)
New to JF

Thanks - 05-12-2009, 09:42 AM

Thanks Koir and Troo for your responses. . . I feel like I'm being silly for worrying, but that response from our friend (how he had to decline) really got to me. It's so silly because I'm not afraid of the actual virus at all, being that it seems to be mild and so many people die from regular influenza every year. I'm more afraid of the social backlash.

Also we're still seeing a lot of Japanese tourists here in Hawaii, so they can't be that scared, right?

Anyway, thanks again. I know Japan will be so awesome that these worries will seem very small.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-12-2009, 10:45 AM

The only time that all incoming ppl to japan will be checked is in the airport, once you are cleared , then no problem.

A friend just came back from his trip in California, and although he was cleared in the airport, he is requested to wear a masked for 2 weeks in the office

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-12-2009, 10:57 AM

I'm a foreigner here in Japan (and have been living here for more than a year), and so far I haven't seen or noticed any unusual behavior shown toward me or other foreigners. I don't have any trouble in restaurants, buses, or getting a taxi, and no other foreigners that I know have had any strange experiences yet.

The only places in Japan where there are a large concern are the Mexican restaurants. Never mind that these restaurants are in Japan, and the food is prepared by Japanese cooks from Japanese ingredients, for some reason people are afraid to eat there, and these restaurants are suffering. Go figure.

Be prepared to deal with the possibility of delay at the immigration area at the airport. All passengers are being viewed with infra-red cameras to see if they have elevated body temperatures (from fever possibly associated with swine flu).
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-12-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I'm a foreigner here in Japan (and have been living here for more than a year), and so far I haven't seen or noticed any unusual behavior shown toward me or other foreigners. I don't have any trouble in restaurants, buses, or getting a taxi, and no other foreigners that I know have had any strange experiences yet.

The only places in Japan where there are a large concern are the Mexican restaurants. Never mind that these restaurants are in Japan, and the food is prepared by Japanese cooks from Japanese ingredients, for some reason people are afraid to eat there, and these restaurants are suffering. Go figure.

Be prepared to deal with the possibility of delay at the immigration area at the airport. All passengers are being viewed with infra-red cameras to see if they have elevated body temperatures (from fever possibly associated with swine flu).
We are doing the same in Australia with all US and Mexican inbound passengers.

Cheers - Oz