JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
northpig87 (Offline)
New to JF

Question: Takayama VS Kiso Valley. Similar? - 05-14-2009, 12:13 AM

Hello all!

Planning out a 18 day trip to japan, and have a question regarding Takayama and the Kiso Valley. Is it worth to visit both places? I'm very interested in the Hiking along Nakasandou between Magome and Tsugamo. How much will I miss out by not going to Takayama?

So if you were to choose one, Takayama or Kiso/Magome/Tsugamo...which one would you recommend?

Thank you for your help!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
lself (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-14-2009, 01:07 AM

Unfortunately I haven't been to Kiso valley but I did go to Takayama and it was extremely cool. Although Shirakawago was even more awesome. My sister has been to both, but she said she liked them both. She's indecisive

雅はアメリカに行きます!
빅뱅하고 태군하고 허영생하고 동방신기하고
MBLAQ하고 아웃사이어하고 F.Cuz하고 U-Kiss를사랑해요!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-14-2009, 01:18 AM

You can go hiking in the Japan Alps near Takayama, if you want to do both hiking and see old buildings.

I never visited the Kiso valley, but I enjoyed Takayama, Hida folk village, Kamikochi, and Matsumoto.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-14-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northpig87 View Post
So if you were to choose one, Takayama or Kiso/Magome/Tsugamo...which one would you recommend?
I'd take Takayama. But then I could be prejudiced because it was always one of my favorite vacation spots as a kid. As its nickename "Little Kyoto" suggests, it has a lot to offer to the tourist.

Kiso/Magome/Tsugamo are nice for the nature lover but they developed as posting stations rather than a regional center and therefore lack the refined feel and beauty that Takayama has.

If your schedule allowed it, you may go to both. You might actually like the contrast itself.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-14-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
I'd take Takayama. But then I could be prejudiced because it was always one of my favorite vacation spots as a kid. As its nickename "Little Kyoto" suggests, it has a lot to offer to the tourist.

Kiso/Magome/Tsugamo are nice for the nature lover but they developed as posting stations rather than a regional center and therefore lack the refined feel and beauty that Takayama has.

If your schedule allowed it, you may go to both. You might actually like the contrast itself.
Speaking of contrast, I was struck by the difference in walking through the beautiful, well-groomed Kanazawa park and then 2 days later hiking through the also beautiful, but wild and untamed Japan Alps at Kamikochi. And then, in just 2 more days, I was walking through the streets of Tokyo. A world of difference between them.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Tarto (Offline)
New to JF

05-14-2009, 10:59 AM

I'd go for Takayama (and Shirakawa-go is indeed beautiful if you have time).

I enjoyed Magome and Tsumago (not Tsugamo ), but was very disappointed by the "hike" between them. For the most part, the trail is made of concrete (!) and stays so close to the road you can actually hear the cars (you will also see them quite often because the trail crosses the road many times!...). Don't expect any breathtaking view either.

If you like real hiking then don't waste your time, just take a taxi and visit the two villages.