JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
shivee (Offline)
New to JF

Tokyo - Train pass? - 05-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Hi,
I'm heading to Tokyo at the end of this month and only staying 9 days. Is there any pass for trains that would be worth it? I will only be staying in Tokyo for this trip.

If I remember right the JR pass works a long way outside the city too so I assume there is something cheaper out there.

Thanks in advance for any help.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-16-2009, 03:15 PM

If you are staying in Tokyo and not planning on going far from the city, you don't need to bother with any special kind of pass. Just buy your tickets as you need them. On a busy day of train-hopping around the city, I'll rarely spend more than 1500 yen on train/subway fares.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-16-2009, 04:57 PM

There is an all-day pass that encovers a vast area of Tokyo. If your main route of transportation will be on the Yamanote line which it covers, then this is what you should look for.

I believe its call the 1 Day Tokunai Pass, costs about 700円/day.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
shivee (Offline)
New to JF

05-16-2009, 05:48 PM

Thank you for your replies.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-18-2009, 08:27 AM

Tokyo Metro already have a one-day pass now.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

05-18-2009, 08:48 AM

Any stop on or near the Yamanote line is less than ¥200, and most popular/touristy areas are on the Yamanote. I can't imagine you'd end up spending more than what it costs to get a pass, so I wouldn't bother with one. Tokyo Metro passes are cheaper than the JR ones, but the Metro is also less convenient.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MarcusTan (Offline)
New to JF

which Train ticket best suit us. - 08-19-2009, 03:06 AM

Sorry Guys,

We are planning for a 9 days trip such as Tokyo, Osaka etc... which ticket best suit us.

Please advice
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-19-2009, 03:30 AM

Go to Japan Railways site and see what's available. Most unlimited use passes must be purchased outside Japan. Once you get here you'll have to pay the same rate everyone else does.

Odds are you'll spend less than 1000 yen per day on train fair, so if a one-week pass costs 10,000 yen or more, you're better off just paying the normal ticket price.

On second thought, I noticed you'll be traveling between Tokyo and Osaka. Tourist can get a JR train pass which also included unlimited use of the Shinkansen (bullet train). Otherwise a reserved seat on the train from Osaka to Tokyo will cost around 17,000 yen each way. A pass would be a good deal for you. The Shinkansen is the best way to get from Osaka to Tokyo, otherwise you would have to endure an overnight bus ride. The Shinkansen can make the trip in only 3 hours or so.

Last edited by Sangetsu : 08-19-2009 at 03:33 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MarcusTan (Offline)
New to JF

08-19-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Go to Japan Railways site and see what's
On second thought, I noticed you'll be traveling between Tokyo and Osaka. Tourist can get a JR train pass which also included unlimited use of the Shinkansen (bullet train). Otherwise a reserved seat on the train from Osaka to Tokyo will cost around 17,000 yen each way. A pass would be a good deal for you. The Shinkansen is the best way to get from Osaka to Tokyo, otherwise you would have to endure an overnight bus ride. The Shinkansen can make the trip in only 3 hours or so.

Cool... you got the name of the pass? and as we are arriving early in the morning Tokyo Narita airport.. possible for us to take the Shinkansen directly for the airport?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-20-2009, 05:29 AM

It's a JR Rail pass

All the info you need is HERE.

You HAVE to purchase it in advance of traveling to Japan, you can't buy one there.