JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
liedergern (Offline)
New to JF

Arrow Traveling to Kobe-Swine Flu Etiquette-Please Advise!!! - 05-20-2009, 05:19 PM

Greetings,

My wife and I are staying with her Uncle in Kobe for 2 1/2 weeks, and we just got an email from them asking us if we wanted to reschedule our trip. He's a doctor and I think he's concerned for our health. We aren't at all worried about the flu, and really don't have another time we can arrange to go. If the pandemic level is raised to 6 (highest), surely Japanese businesses will freak and may close things down, even despite the protest of the government. And if large public gatherings are discouraged, we are concerned we might not be able to sight see as we would like. As long as restaurants are open and we can spend our days exploring Kyoto, we know we'll have a great time, so at this point we are still planning on going.

Any sense of how likely it is that they might close restaurants or shopping districts, or even (God forbid) temples or gardens in Kyoto? Also, would it be rude or imposing to come to stay with family anyway? We've been planning this trip for over a year.

Thanks for your help!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2009, 05:25 PM

I heard that one parade or festival in Kobe was cancelled.

Keep in mind that Japanese will not likely say directly what they are thinking in this type of situation, so him saying "Do you want to reschedule" very well might be "We want you to reschedule"

It may not be YOUR heath he is concerned about.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-21-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Keep in mind that Japanese will not likely say directly what they are thinking in this type of situation, so him saying "Do you want to reschedule" very well might be "We want you to reschedule"

It may not be YOUR heath he is concerned about.
I strongly agree with this - Chances are, it would be polite to reschedule.

I wouldn`t say that there is that much panic inside Japan itself, but people are pretty hesitant about encountering people who were recently abroad. To the level of barring them from work, etc.

Most likely, they`re scared that you`ll bring and spread it more than directly being concerned for your health.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.