JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Barnabas (Offline)
New to JF

Going to Japan in Summer - 05-28-2009, 12:35 PM

Hi all,

I’m spending 20 days in Japan with my girlfriend, mid august plus early September. We’re arriving in Tokyo after a 14 hour flight (from Madrid via Helsinki), so that we’ll probably rest a bit and then spend a few days in the capital. After that we’re clueless about what route to follow, as there’re so many options and obviously you can’t do everything in 20 days time.

I’m very curious about Tokyo and wouldn’t mind to visit other Japanese big cities if they’re really worth it, but we’re more the small village and countryside type of people. It would be great if we could do some hiking, but we don’t want to carry too much weight, that means no tent and no cooking utensils. We’re travelling with backpacks and will try not to spend too much money, specially in accommodation (we love Japanese food, I don’t think we’ll save much money on that).

We’ll appreciate any input regarding travel itinerary, tips or whatever you feel might help us.

Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
05-28-2009, 03:30 PM

Climbing up Mt. Fuji sounds fun, but not during peak times of the year, when its completely packed. May I ask what kind of housing you two are going to have?

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
05-28-2009, 04:20 PM

going to places in Tokyo would really cost you a lot in transportation~

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-28-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
Hi all,

I’m spending 20 days in Japan with my girlfriend, mid august plus early September. We’re arriving in Tokyo after a 14 hour flight (from Madrid via Helsinki), so that we’ll probably rest a bit and then spend a few days in the capital. After that we’re clueless about what route to follow, as there’re so many options and obviously you can’t do everything in 20 days time.

I’m very curious about Tokyo and wouldn’t mind to visit other Japanese big cities if they’re really worth it, but we’re more the small village and countryside type of people. It would be great if we could do some hiking, but we don’t want to carry too much weight, that means no tent and no cooking utensils. We’re travelling with backpacks and will try not to spend too much money, specially in accommodation (we love Japanese food, I don’t think we’ll save much money on that).

We’ll appreciate any input regarding travel itinerary, tips or whatever you feel might help us.

Thanks!
Tokyo is NOT Japan. I would say to stay away from Tokyo and spend your big city days in Osaka, shrine days in Kyoto and the rest of your country side type days at Wakayama, Takayama, Atami, Yumoto, Aomori
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Barnabas (Offline)
New to JF

05-29-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
Climbing up Mt. Fuji sounds fun, but not during peak times of the year, when its completely packed. May I ask what kind of housing you two are going to have?
We’ll look for double rooms in cheap Hotels. We don’t mind shared bathrooms if they’re clean.

@godwine. Kyoto is a must and I’ll check the other places you mention. What makes Osaka better than Tokyo?
Thankyou everyone
(#6 (permalink))
Old
HungryForRamen (Offline)
I LOOOOOOOVE THEM GINGERS

05-29-2009, 07:41 AM

Lucky you get to go! I don't have any tips, I'm afraid, except eat some onigiri and authentic ramen for me! Have fun with your girlfriend.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-29-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
We’ll look for double rooms in cheap Hotels. We don’t mind shared bathrooms if they’re clean.

@godwine. Kyoto is a must and I’ll check the other places you mention. What makes Osaka better than Tokyo?
Thankyou everyone
Osaka has everything that Tokyo has to offer, but better food. Things will look different but thats about it.

If you decide to still go to Tokyo, don't spend more than 4 days there, but do spend some time in Yokohama. Nikko is also a good destination if you are going to be in the Tokyo area.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-29-2009, 03:06 PM

I'll second the recommendation for visiting Nikko. Short trip out of Tokyo, and WELL worth the travel.

Also if you are looking to travel cheaply, but fast....... and you are staying in the Tokyo and "north" (east technically) area.... look into the JR EAST Railpass. A standard 4 day flexible use one (unlimited travel any 4 days in a 30 day period) is only 20,000 円 and it is easy to eat that up with much shinkansen travel at all. Otherwise... use slow trains to save money.

best,

.................john
(#9 (permalink))
Old
thangfish2003 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to thangfish2003 Send a message via Skype™ to thangfish2003
Smile Pagodas - 06-02-2009, 09:01 AM

I like pagoda. Tell me some places that have pagodas
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-02-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thangfish2003 View Post
I like pagoda. Tell me some places that have pagodas
Kyoto is your best bet for Pagoda, there are a few in Tokyo. I don't know of any that will allow you to go inside of it, so you have to check with other members.