JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

06-03-2009, 01:01 PM

Sounds like a nice trip coming up

maybe a good idea if you write down a small list, say stop at five for every location you are visiting.

Plenty of cheper places to stay in Japan and never seemed to be a shortage.

Cheers - Oz
(#12 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-03-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwagner120787 View Post
I do understand where you are coming from.
My plan is to rent a room at a guesthouse for about 60000.
Stay a couple of nights in Okinawa for [i giving myself to about 10000 a night].
And the same applies to possibly Tokyo or other areas that is a long train ride from Osaka. Everything else, however, I might just leave in the early morning, and come back on the last train back to Osaka. Since most of it is in the same general direction, I don't see why it won't work. Though, I haven't looked at travel distances with trains that I can ride with a Rail Pass. Or even if it is cheaper to not use a Rail Pass. Right now, I'm still working on accommodation possibilities, and itinerary, then I'll figure out how to get from place to place.

It will work, I never said it won't. I am just worry that if you do that, you will spend too much time traveling, but instead you can probably use that time to cover more grounds and attractions.

Have fun
(#13 (permalink))
Old
RediscoverTravel (Offline)
JF Regular

06-03-2009, 08:50 PM

I would just stay in youth hostel. They are all over Japan and then you would not have to worry about traveling back to one place each night. See
Japan Youth Hostels, Inc.
There are also gaijin houses that you can stay at for a week or so. In Osaka see
Guest House in Osaka

---
Japanese Guest Houses
Ryokan (Japanese Inn) Reservation Service
(#14 (permalink))
Old
jwagner120787 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jwagner120787 Send a message via MSN to jwagner120787 Send a message via Yahoo to jwagner120787 Send a message via Skype™ to jwagner120787
06-06-2009, 10:39 AM

Ok.
Again, the problem I find is that booking hotels or guest houses in multiple areas for only a few days, but enough to span over 30/31 days, is costly. Currently, it seems cheaper to have a guest house for monthly use, and rent a hotel/room for 1 or 2 nights [or more] when I will be far away from the main guest house.

My concern is that I'm traveling on a tight budget, and I'm willing to travel more, if necessary, so that my budget can accommodate my stay easier.

So far, the following regions are on my list, though I'm not sure what order yet. Except that Okinawa will probably be first. Then, depending how expensive train tickets get for the rest of my trip, I'll activate a 21-day pass for use for traveling across Japan.

- Okinawa
- Osaka << Primary Residence?
- Tokyo
- Kyoto
- Hiroshima
- Mt. Fuji

Any other places you'd recommend? I know almost all of these are along the southern part of Japan, and I wonder if anyone knows of any must sees in other parts of Japan. This is a vacation, so I don't want to feel rushed in sightseeing, so I don't want this enormous must-see list. I want to enjoy the feel of Japan, while seeing as much as I can. So, I wonder what other places you recommend!

Thanks again for any input you may have!
(#15 (permalink))
Old
jwagner120787 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jwagner120787 Send a message via MSN to jwagner120787 Send a message via Yahoo to jwagner120787 Send a message via Skype™ to jwagner120787
06-06-2009, 03:00 PM

Sorry to bump so soon.
However, my question is if it is worth getting a Rail Pass or not before I leave.
It looks like a bit of traveling to Tokyo and such back and forth over the month I'm there, and I wonder if it is worth getting 7/14/21 day passes or not, or if there is a cheaper form of passes when I get to Japan for just particular regions or trains. Again, my itinerary is still up for debate, but with the itinerary listed above [southern Japan, ATM], is it worth getting a Rail Pass?