JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MelR (Offline)
New to JF

Smile Accomodation Advice Needed!! - 06-02-2009, 02:17 AM

Hi I am going to be in Japan in february and was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on some good places to stay. I was looking around the $300 per night mark and am looking for some place near a trainstation.

I have been reading about shibuya and shinjuku and was wondering if these places would be the best? if anyone has stayed anywhere nice around here i would love to hear about it! I am in my early 20s and will be traveling with a friend so somewhere close to cool music, restaurants and places to hang out at night would be great.

Thanks so much!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
everybest (Offline)
JF Regular

06-02-2009, 06:44 AM

Shibuya Excel Tokyu Hotel: Tokyu Hotels - Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel: 東京・渋谷の宿泊はセルリアンタワー東急ホテルへ|Hot el in Tokyo

Both are in Shibuya in really nice locations. Excel is pretty much where the main crosswalk in Shibuya is and Cerulean is about 2-3 minutes away from there, like half a block and across the street. Both are also just a minute away from the JR and subway station. I think the Excel has a better location, but the Cerulean rooms are a lot nicer, the hotel in general feels more high class, and less crowded. From the site, looks like the cheapest single room at the Cerulean is a 33,000 yen and Excel is probably around 25,000. Free internet at the Excel, and Cerulean charges 1,050 yen per day.

Those are the only two hotels in Tokyo I've had experience with but with the subway system close you can pretty much get anywhere you want. Plus, if you're looking for things to do, there's a ton just a step outside the hotel and the nightlife is just as alive as during the day. I know people like to recommend you travel outside Tokyo to really experience all of Japan, but if you're just going to be shopping and kinda hanging out, Tokyo is definitely my favorite place to be. Pricey, but if you can afford it, I've had good experiences at both hotels. (I've actually had a friend complain about the noise at the Excel hotel, but I don't remember having much problems. It is in the middle of a really crowded area though.)

Last edited by everybest : 06-02-2009 at 06:50 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-02-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelR View Post
Hi I am going to be in Japan in february and was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on some good places to stay. I was looking around the $300 per night mark and am looking for some place near a trainstation.

I have been reading about shibuya and shinjuku and was wondering if these places would be the best? if anyone has stayed anywhere nice around here i would love to hear about it! I am in my early 20s and will be traveling with a friend so somewhere close to cool music, restaurants and places to hang out at night would be great.

Thanks so much!!
I guess I would need some more information...are you going only to Tokyo, or are you going to travel outside of Tokyo (I hope so!).

There are nice hotels in Shibuya, and all over Tokyo...really depends on what you are looking for.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
everybest (Offline)
JF Regular

06-02-2009, 06:57 AM

I forgot to mention, you should take a look at booking a room through expedia.com rather than directly through the hotel. I know you can get a room at the Cerulean for 2 for about $200-250 depending on time and duration (I'm not sure how all that factors into the cost) and I'm sure most other hotels are listed too.

Good luck.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-02-2009, 10:49 AM

Once again, I recommend the Intercontinental Hotel at Tokyo bay.

I always recommend this hotel for these reasons: First, it is a modern and clean hotel, with great rooms. Second, it is located next to Tokyo Bay, and you can get rooms which overlook either the bay or the city. Third, it is not located in the heart of the metro area (with all the crowds, noise, and smells).

The Intercontinental is located just outside the noisier part of the city, next to Takeshiba station on the Yurikamome line. From Takeshiba station, you can get to Odaiba (very scenic, with a beach and some of the best views in the city), or you can go take the Yurikamome line to Shimbashi station, where you can transfer to the Yamanote line, which will take you to pretty much every other part of Tokyo worth seeing.

There is also a water taxi (tour boat) stop near the hotel, so you can the boat to Asakusa, or even Kasai Rinkai park (near the Disney resorts).

Ginza, Tsukiji, and Hamarikyu gardens are all within walking distance of the Intercontinental.

The last time I stayed at the Intercontinental, I got a deluxe, bay view room (even the bathtub had a window) for just under $300 a night.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RediscoverTravel (Offline)
JF Regular

06-03-2009, 08:54 PM

Are you only giong to Tokyo or will you visit other areas of Japan? I would highly recommend spending at least a few days in Kyoto or at the very least Hakone.

---
Japanese Guest Houses
Ryokan (Japanese Inn) Reservation Service