JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
keichichan (Offline)
Fangirl

Travelguides and guidebooks.... - 06-03-2009, 08:49 PM

So I recently checked out Lonely Planets 2003 edition of Japan, and it's very useful and detailed about everything but I was wondering if there are ones for just cities in Japan or a better guidebook or travelguide?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RediscoverTravel (Offline)
JF Regular

06-03-2009, 08:57 PM

I am pretty sure that Frommer's Travel Guides and Fodor's Travel Guides has city specific guide books.

---
Japanese Guest Houses
Ryokan (Japanese Inn) Reservation Service
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-04-2009, 06:30 AM

There is a Lonely Planet Tokyo and Kyoto. IMO, the Lonely Planet series is the best, I used LP Japan extensively while I was there. ( Amazon.com: lonely planet japan )

I also used the Japan Handbook by J. D. Bisignani. ( Amazon.com: Japan Handbook (Moon Handbooks : Japan): J. D. Bisignani: Books ) It has a different focus from the Lonely Planet books... far less practical in terms of getting around, but more cultural info, festivals, places to visit that are off the beaten path, etc.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-05-2009, 04:19 AM

Time Out guide of Tokyo has a handy map of the subway that's easily stuffed into a pocket. That and the LPG were all I used.

DO NOT try any of the walking tours in the Time Out guide unless your into frustration.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
joeyj (Offline)
JF Regular

06-05-2009, 06:53 AM

The national geographic use to have a pretty good travel book.. I'm not sure if its still good or not but you might want to check that one out too.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
jwagner120787 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jwagner120787 Send a message via MSN to jwagner120787 Send a message via Yahoo to jwagner120787 Send a message via Skype™ to jwagner120787
06-05-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RediscoverTravel View Post
I am pretty sure that Frommer's Travel Guides and Fodor's Travel Guides has city specific guide books.
I was checking out Frommer's, and it actually gave me even more information than I had about making travel plans! Thanks for the link to that!

Fodor is actually semi-useful too. It looks like a list of must-see places across Japan and the world! Again, thanks for that!

Very useful guides!