JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
StriderX (Offline)
New to JF

Jobs in Japan? - 04-18-2009, 07:21 PM

I live in the US and was wondering, aside from English Teacher, what other jobs could take me to Japan?

Also, would Manga/Anime companies hire a caucasian writer even if he's skilled in writing mangas (and other comic books for that matter, just nothing officially published....yet)?

Last edited by StriderX : 04-18-2009 at 07:28 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
talz13 (Offline)
New to JF

04-18-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderX View Post
Also, would Manga/Anime companies hire a caucasian writer even if he's skilled in writing mangas (and other comic books for that matter, just nothing officially published....yet)?
Doubtful, they probably have plenty of Japanese people lining up for those jobs already. Especially if you're not fluent in Japanese!

I'd like to know about jobs over there too! It would be fun being able to get a programming job or something in Japan, if I could speak the language better
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-18-2009, 08:44 PM

Just about any job which requires you to go to Japan will take you to Japan. It's a bit of an open question

You could work the diplomatic corps. You get sent where you're needed, but that might turn out to be Japan, especially if you already speak the language before you apply.

You could work for a company with offices in Japan and request a transfer when a Japanese vacancy opens up. Again, some language ability may help, dependent on the role's requirements.

Can you get hired as a Manga writer when you're previously-unpublished and don't speak Japanese? Maybe. TokyoPop run an annual competition in the US to find new Manga writers and artists, but your best bet is to team up with a good artist before you apply. Manga writers are ten a penny. Either get good at drawing, or team up with someone who's already there but who sucks at the writing. And speaking from experience, let me assure you of this: For every good writer out there, there are 999 bloody awful ones. Your best chance of getting published is to be that one in a thousand who doesn't suck.

If you are genuinely serious about kick-starting a career in writing comics, then start it. Make your world, write your script, get it drawn, and launch a webcomic and upload 1-8 new pages per week. Grow a following organically. If your product is good, word of mouth will be the only advertisement you need. It will take time to build a readership and gain recognition, but it shows passion, and you can work on multiple projects at once (time pending, of course).

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-18-2009, 10:24 PM

This is something people forget:

Manga writers and artists are not "hired", they are commissioned. You are not paid a salary, rather your work is bought, just like other artists. Most manga writers are starving, just like other artists. A handful break through and become big, but the vast majority are eating cup o' noodles, just like other artists.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
04-18-2009, 11:23 PM

That doesn't sound like a very steady line of work, especially right now.

I've personally thought about trying to do some kind of sociologist type of thing. Like studying cultural trends and trying to predict what's going to happen next. I know that would be pretty much a pointless reason for me to want to do that in Japan having next to no knowledge as to how it works(not to mention already in a bad spot being on the outside looking in) and who would hire a foreigner to try to "foresee" what's happening next culturally.

My interest in the culture would probably turn into a hobby anyways.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
katon (Offline)
New to JF

04-18-2009, 11:49 PM

does some one here lives in japan?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-19-2009, 12:52 AM

Yes, quite a few of us do.

And there are plenty of jobs in Japan, even with the economy as it is. The question you must ask yourself is what you could bring to the job that a Japanese person already here could not.

And I still say Japan should not be the priority. Knowing what you want to do when you get to Japan BEFORE you actually go is a much bigger priority.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-20-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridgit001 View Post
That doesn't sound like a very steady line of work, especially right now.
Being a freelance writer right now is sucking pretty badly, I can tell you. *Checks bank balance. Cries.*

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Jcl (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Jcl
04-20-2009, 12:23 PM

Square Enix is hiring CG in Japan. So that's just another way to get in (if you are a skilled programmer). As it states, you may know either English or Japanese.

I'm not sure of any non-technology jobs though.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
StriderX (Offline)
New to JF

05-24-2009, 05:46 AM

Wow! I apologize for replying so late, had to get myself a new computer (my last one crashed)!

Thank you for all your information, it was all very helpful. Especially you Jcl! I'm actually studying to become a computer programmer, and perhaps other stuff as well!

As for speaking Japanese, I am learning the language.