JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
buddahas (Offline)
New to JF

Airport limo in Tokyo - 06-05-2009, 03:56 PM

Hi there,

I will be taking the airport limo from Narita to Tokyo. With this service they offer a 1 day metro pass. I was wondering if this pass is only valid on the day I use the limo, or it can be any day while in Tokyo?

Also, I purchased a 7 day JR pass. How difficult will it be to acitvate it and book the seats to Kyoto on the same day. I plan on leaving on 10th of July. Can the pass be validated on Shinjuku JR station and just take the train there (I'll be staying at Hilton, so it makes it kinda convenient). I was in Tokyo only once before for 4 days, so be gentle
(#2 (permalink))
Old
everybest (Offline)
JF Regular

06-05-2009, 04:08 PM

I don't know about activating day passes as I always get the Suica cards with a deposit for the metro and JR within the city, but I would think it's safe to assume that the one day metro pass wouldn't have to be the same day as there are limo's that don't get to tokyo until late. Just my guess though.

Last edited by everybest : 06-05-2009 at 04:43 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-05-2009, 07:15 PM

Downstairs in Narita Terminal 2 (floor above the Narita Express train to Tokyo) is a JR main office where you can conveniently exchange the railpass voucher for the actual railpass. You might want to do that befoere you catch the limo. 30 feet out the door from that office is a JR reservation desk where you can make train reservations from any place to any place.

But once you have the pass........ you can make reservations at any gurin mado-no-guchi. Remember that once you actually activate a 7 day pass (first use)...... it expires in 7 days.

At that time in July it is likely that you will have no problem making same day train reservations from Tokyo to Kyoto. OBon in the Kyoto area is in August.

best,

.....................john
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-06-2009, 12:41 PM

I don't know about the metro pass (I'll hazard a guess and say it's only valid on the day you take the limo bus) but with the JR pass, you can exchange your voucher for one at Shinjuku station (it's an easy process as well, provided you have the necessary ID/documentation). You can make reservations but you don't have to, you can freely go in and out of the gates with the pass and take any available unreserved seat (not Green or on Nozomi however, I assume you have an ordinary ticket). You can't take the shinkansen directly from Shinjuku, but you can use your pass to get to Ueno, Shinagawa or Tokyo on the JR Yamanote line and take the shink from there.

I had my pass activated in advance (I went the day before to the JR exchange office and had it activated for use starting from the next day.) This could be a good option if you don't want the hassle on the same day as you start your journey.