JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
Currently in Saitama Japan - 06-07-2009, 10:07 AM

I am visiting my my girlfriend in saitama japan (she was an international student in california before she graduated and moved back to japan), and when she goes to work i'm stuck in the apartment doing nothing. is there anybody here on the forums that want to hang out with me? i'm not disgusting or disfigured i'm here to stay for about 2 months! HELP ME!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-07-2009, 03:06 PM

Why are you staying in the apartment? Get out and EXPLORE! Walk around the city, or plan short day trips, visit a mall or bookstore, try a new restaurant for lunch every day this week, etc! 2 months will fly by, so make the most of your time there!

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-07-2009, 05:39 PM

If your girlfriend is Japanese........ I'd think you'd likely best make an effort to start learning more Japanese language, and getting immersed into Japanese culture a bit.

best,

....................john
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-07-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
I am visiting my my girlfriend in saitama japan (she was an international student in california before she graduated and moved back to japan), and when she goes to work i'm stuck in the apartment doing nothing. is there anybody here on the forums that want to hang out with me? i'm not disgusting or disfigured i'm here to stay for about 2 months! HELP ME!
2 months is a long time. I would start be increasing your comfort zone wider and wider. Learn to use the train and you can make day trips to Tokyo. Where exactly in Saitama are you?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
06-07-2009, 06:13 PM

are you financially ok?
if there is no problem, then you should travel places that is popular in Japan..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#6 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-07-2009, 06:44 PM

I agree with what the others have said. I had a similar experience during my stay in Hirohshima, only I was busy during the day installing equipment for a customer. For the first 2 weeks I was content to come back to the hotel everynight and stay there. Ultimately I realized I couldn't do that for the next two months and decided to search online for some places to go out and have dinner and drinks. I found a few the first night and met some nice people. As I became more comfortable wandering around the city without knowing any Japanese I expanded my knowledge of the different places and how best to get around. In the end, I ended up staying there for 6 months and became as familiar with the city as any native. My wife whom I met while there actually says that I know more of the city than she does.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

06-08-2009, 01:31 AM

thanks for all your replies guys. i am financially stable and i am going to make an effort to explore soon. i am currently staying indoors because i have a bit of a cold and feeling not so grand at the moment. i don't wanna go out sneezing and coughing as the people here are already so cautious about illness (they still wear face masks!) i have taken a basic japanese class at my college and i am currently self teaching myself here also.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

06-08-2009, 07:13 AM

where in saitama?

if you are neat Kawagoe, visit the place. It's interesting.
Take the Tobu Tojo Line and visit Ikebukuro, or the Subway Fukutoshin which will take you to Shinjuku, Shibuya..

If you have a little flu, just bring a mask with you when you go out and you will be fine

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

06-08-2009, 09:14 AM

i am staying 5 minutes away from walking to the Minami Urawa station if that helps. so far i have visted tokyo for a day and visit the temple there and ate some curry and some other snacks along the road. i had a great time and i got my fortune from the temple too it says i have the best luck
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

06-08-2009, 09:16 AM

i rode on the train a couple of times, at first it was very very confusing. one time i bought the wrong ticket but it was for a station further than i was going to so i lost out on a couple cents.