JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

How do I get a cellphone in Japan? - 06-09-2009, 08:06 PM

I've heard many people say that most international plans don't work in Japan, so I should get a Japanese cellphone. I know there's a long, probably hard process I have to go through to get a cellphone - I'm just not sure what the process is. Can someone post the steps to getting a cellphone?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Atakicat (Offline)
JF Nomad

Send a message via AIM to Atakicat
06-09-2009, 08:08 PM

I don't know for sure, But I imagine you could go with a Pre-paid cellphone. It might be much easier, if so.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-09-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atakicat View Post
I don't know for sure, But I imagine you could go with a Pre-paid cellphone. It might be much easier, if so.
That's true, I'll have to look into that.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-10-2009, 03:42 AM

If you are going as a tourist, a Japanese law that went into effect in late 2006 (I think) made it illegal for gaijin to actually own their cell phones. Some sort of anti-terrorism thing. I used to have a Dokomo account but was not able to re-activate the phone after that law was passed.

If you want to buy a Japanese capable cell phone.... let me know. I still have it <g>. You'd need to re-activate it.

In order to actually own a phone now, you need to have a resident alien card. Which means that you have to be living in Japan "long term".

Now I rent them when I am there since I am only there about 2 months at a time. The best deal that I have found is RentafoneJapaan. They are very easy to deal with and the price is right.

Rentafone Japan - Cell phone rental in Japan

best,

..................john
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-10-2009, 05:48 AM

If you have AT&T, you can get an international plan which will allow you to use your phone while in Japan. The only drawback is that you need to have a later-model 3G phone. I used an AT&T tilt on a visit a couple of years ago and had no troubles. AT&T is partnered with the Docomo network, so that's the carrier you will use when roaming here.

When I use my Docomo phone in America, the phone says "Cingular" (I thought the name Cingular had stopped being used a few years ago), but the phone works well enough.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-15-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
If you have AT&T, you can get an international plan which will allow you to use your phone while in Japan. The only drawback is that you need to have a later-model 3G phone. I used an AT&T tilt on a visit a couple of years ago and had no troubles. AT&T is partnered with the Docomo network, so that's the carrier you will use when roaming here.

When I use my Docomo phone in America, the phone says "Cingular" (I thought the name Cingular had stopped being used a few years ago), but the phone works well enough.
I'll definitely look into this! I really want to use an American phone in Japan, because I don't know if it makes any sense to buy a phone in Japan that I can't use once I leave.

LOVE: pass it on
(#7 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-15-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
If you are going as a tourist, a Japanese law that went into effect in late 2006 (I think) made it illegal for gaijin to actually own their cell phones. Some sort of anti-terrorism thing. I used to have a Dokomo account but was not able to re-activate the phone after that law was passed.

If you want to buy a Japanese capable cell phone.... let me know. I still have it <g>. You'd need to re-activate it.

In order to actually own a phone now, you need to have a resident alien card. Which means that you have to be living in Japan "long term".

Now I rent them when I am there since I am only there about 2 months at a time. The best deal that I have found is RentafoneJapaan. They are very easy to deal with and the price is right.

Rentafone Japan - Cell phone rental in Japan

best,

..................john
Oh. I knew there was a form that needed to be signed out, but I didn't know why or what it was for. If I can't find an American phone with an international plan I'll look into this, thanks.

LOVE: pass it on
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Bilgewater (Offline)
New to JF

06-17-2009, 01:18 AM

You can rent mobile phones at narita airport terminal ... 2, I believe. Once you get past immigration and security you will be in this long hallway where you will find a bunch of desks lined up against the far wall next to the exits where you can do everything from get train tickets to rental cars to mobile phones to rent. You might want to go there because they can speak English. Once out of the airport and you can pretty much forget about English for the most part.

Believe me, if you dont speak Japanese you wont want to try renting a mobile phone using Japanese.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
tumblingwater (Offline)
New to JF

06-20-2009, 04:39 PM

One thing not to do: get an "international cell-phone add-on" when you are buying your plane ticket. I did that through Orbitz; it sounds really reasonable--$40 USD--but then you learn AFTER the fact that, for Japan, you have to upgrade to a 3g model (as others have noted). That upgrade is an additional $170 USD, for a total of $210. (I know, you'd think their online booking would be sophisticated enough to tell that you are traveling to Japan and need the extra-expense info up front . . .)

I've decided just to not have a cellphone for the time we're there; but we're only going for 16 days, not so bad. Actually, I think it will be kind of nice to be liberated from the phone for awhile!

Have a great trip.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-21-2009, 03:37 PM

tumblingwater,

Take a look at the cell phone link I posted above. It is VERY inexpensive (both rental and usage) and VERY convenient to do.

I leave for Japan next Thursday, and I just got an email with my keitai (cell) # from them. It will be waiting for me when I get to my first night's ryokan.
When I leave Japan I just drop it in the pre-paid padded envelope and in any standard mailbox.

best,

................john