LinkBack Thread Tools
(#121 (permalink))
Old
Deviruu (Offline)
オワタ!

07-19-2009, 03:27 PM

... o___o;
Agh, I hate bugs, too.
The only pleasant one in my book is a butterfly. And lady bugs.

AGH! Dx Anything that buzzes! That is just the worst...
(#122 (permalink))
Old
RediscoverTravel (Offline)
JF Regular

07-31-2009, 07:30 PM

I lived in Japan for over 14 years and never saw either one of these. Of course I was not looking.

---
Japanese Guest Houses
Ryokan (Japanese Inn) Reservation Service
(#123 (permalink))
Old
wolf_requiem (Offline)
JF Regular

07-31-2009, 07:40 PM

While those two bugs are gross, they're also rather fascinating! If it was me, I would keep a distance and keep watching it out of curiosity.
(#124 (permalink))
Old
iloveonigiri (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to iloveonigiri Send a message via Yahoo to iloveonigiri
Thumbs down omg!!! - 08-01-2009, 03:08 PM

what the hell is that size !!!

if something like that would be near me i would faint or scream very loud,i could even have an heart atack I HATE BUGS !!!

~*~ AlexiA ~*~
(#125 (permalink))
Old
AnniBirde3 (Offline)
New to JF

08-03-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKitagawa View Post
hahaha mann, I will never eat a bug, ever... unless I'm like.. suuuuper drunk one day.
I've been to places before where they served bugs. I'm sure they taste alright, but without a blindfold or something I would be physically unable to put one in my mouth. Thanks for sharing that article, it was interesting.
ive eaten a few bugs in my life, its kinda an aussie bush thing, gross but eh.

Ive never been realy fazed by bugs, unless they flew anything that flies just scares the shit out of me (especially moths or butterflies, so sad)
But after looking at some of the pics you have put up here, eh kinda happy Australia doesnt have realy wierd bugs. Lots a poisenous snakes and spiders but they all look pretty normal and dont make me wonna pat em like some spiders you put up here lol.

AnnieBirde3
(#126 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-21-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RediscoverTravel View Post
I lived in Japan for over 14 years and never saw either one of these. Of course I was not looking.
That's more reassuring than you'll ever know

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but how common are some of these insects? I can accept some of them, deal with others, but that giant spider completely freaks me out! If I'm in a city, like say Tokyo, in a typical apartment . . . how likely am I to come across our many-legged friends here? I'm really hoping they are very rare and not commonplace, but please . . . someone tell me, because if there's spiders bigger than my hand that are commonly walking about I may cry
(#127 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-21-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but how common are some of these insects? I can accept some of them, deal with others, but that giant spider completely freaks me out! If I'm in a city, like say Tokyo, in a typical apartment . . . how likely am I to come across our many-legged friends here? I'm really hoping they are very rare and not commonplace, but please . . . someone tell me, because if there's spiders bigger than my hand that are commonly walking about I may cry
I saw hundreds of these all over the place wherever I went. This one I took in Odaiba. They probably are very common spiders and were about 8-10cm across (including legs)....

(#128 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-22-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:

I haven`t really seen much other than the small geji geji - small enough to fit through small holes in a screen. No "Bigger than my hand" horrors around here.

At the in-laws, we`ve encountered a few massive spiders, but the gekkos tend to eat them all before they get that big. (Gekkos live in their house. Much cuter to see a tiny gekko running across the floor than a spider or cockroach. They also don`t carry disease or eat people food like mice, so yay!)

I have yet to see a single one of those massive hornets. I`m absolutely terrified of them and am indeed on the look out. But not even one so far after 13 years.

The mosquitoes are what drive me crazy. I hate them, and they spawn in clouds here. ARGH.
My husband considers the little stink bugs mortal enemies now, and will go out of his way to kill them if at all possible. I guess one of them crawled into his pants once long ago, and his crotch stunk of bug for a week afterward.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#129 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-22-2011, 01:26 PM

Ah, thank you John and Nyororin for your replies

I'm somewhat glad that a lot of these aren't common, although still not happy about the ammount of spiders, but as spiders are pretty common here too I suppose there's not much difference . . . and 8-10 centimetres is less than what I envisioned after seeing these photos and reading these posts, at least, lol! Still, the geji-geji are the creepiest things I've ever seen >_<

What are the 'stink bugs'? I've heard of them on some dubbed anime, assumed they were made up creatures or euthemisms, I never realised it was a real type of insect.

You know the more I read about Japan the luckier I feel to be in the UK . . . no earthquakes, and no geji-geji, lol.
(#130 (permalink))
Old
OzukakiBurasuki (Offline)
JF Regular

04-22-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
What are the 'stink bugs'? I've heard of them on some dubbed anime, assumed they were made up creatures or euthemisms, I never realised it was a real type of insect.
There are stink bugs in the US, too. We tend to get them in humid areas such as Florida. They are usually green to brown in color and you should run from them if they are in site. If they feel threatened at all, they will release a liquid chemical that will cause a horrible odor that is difficult to remove, as Nyororin said, for about a week. It is like a spray, so don't be unlucky enough to have them in physical contact with you. This happened to my sister once and wasn't a pretty picture....nor a pleasant smell either.