JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
DevilHunter04 (Offline)
JF Regular

06-16-2009, 07:14 PM

Ugh, that second picture (first post) is just...*shudders* it reminds me of a spider. I can barly type that word with out shuddering. I'm deathly afraid of spiders, don't know why, I just am. I've seen some pretty nasty spiders where I live, like a wolf spider and a huge nasty black son of a bitch, it was about as big as a woman's fist (not kidding; that was the first spider I actually screamed and ran from, usually I just freeze up). Ew, hornets. I see bees and shit around here, honey bees I could care less about, but hornets *shakes head*, I'll take the long way if I see one. It sounds like when I go to Japan I should carry bug spray around with me, haha. Does anyone know of any nasty spiders in Japan, people have to worry about? (Post pics if you can, pics don't bother me.)
(#22 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to RKitagawa
06-16-2009, 07:49 PM

hmmm, as far as I know spiders aren't a huge problem in Japan. Of course there are many of them, but I think there's only one really poisonous one: the Redback Spider.

Quote:
"Media in Japan have reported the discovery of Redback spiders in Osaka, Japan within a hundred kilometres of Kansai International Airport. It was speculated that they arrived in Japan by "hitching" a ride on the outside of airliners, or carried in cargoes of wood chips.[10] In 2008, Redback spiders were found in Fukuoka, Japan. Over 700 have been found near the container terminal in Hakata Bay, Fukuoka city. Warning signs about Redback spiders have been posted in parks around the city as Japan has had no poisonous spider before now."

It seems one of the more common spiders in Japan is the "golden orb weaver"
Which aren't lethal, but still poisonous.

(#23 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
06-16-2009, 09:05 PM

Any more insects? These are very interesting...

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Hyakushi (Offline)
Ikaga desu ka!?

06-16-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKitagawa View Post
The Mukade
Heh bugs don't creep me out I use to live out in the desert and there were all kinds of freaky bugs but when I lived in japan I use to find these alot. Mukade once I put up a fly catcher and the next morning I found it on the floor and a huge centiped was all tangled in the fly catchers goo. I felt so bad, when I untagled it it wasn't moving Q_Q.
Once I even woke up to one trying to crawl in my ear but I just stood up and it fell to the ground and ran away. There quick but they eat all the other annoying insects so I don't think there to bad. I just wear slippers around so I don't step on one. My neihbor was telling me stories about these bugs that I guess when a earthquake split the earth in half these bugs came from hell or something. It was a cool story but I don't remember the whole thing but she said they were signs of evil cause someones mother was bitten by it. I always liked the way they looked though.

I'm not racist . . . I hate everyone equally.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyakushi View Post
Once I even woke up to one trying to crawl in my ear but I just stood up and it fell to the ground and ran away.
Dude.... You're brave. I would have left Japan, right after burning down my house if that happened to me.

Quote:
Any more insects? These are very interesting...
I'll post more as soon as I find them.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
06-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Thank you very much. And, the red... Something... Spider? Is that native to Japan, or is it an exotic species?

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Bilgewater (Offline)
New to JF

06-16-2009, 10:42 PM

The suzume bachi or giant hornet are definitely something to be wary of. They get particularly upset around the color black, so try not to wear black clothing when in the mountains. They are very fast so you cant outrun them, and if you find one, just get away as fast as you can. Although their size is such that you dont need me telling you that.

The centipedes will bite you, but after 18 years of living in the sticks I have never been bitten. Stepped on one in my bare feet though. Felt like stepping on a gummi bear.

Also be careful of black bears. Not exactly insects, but they are around and dangerous. Best way to prepare for them is to carry something like a whistle or anything that makes a lot of noise - although I guess screaming might accomplish the same thing. Other dangerous animals are mamushi, or japanese vipers. Never seen one in the wild, and monkeys. You would think that monkeys arent dangerous, but they will get pissed if you look them in the eyes and might attack you. And the inushishi or wild boars are said to be dangerous. Ive seen them enough times, but have never been attacked.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aota View Post
Thank you very much. And, the red... Something... Spider? Is that native to Japan, or is it an exotic species?
it seems it somehow came over to Japan on a plane. Don't know exactly how.

Quote:
The suzume bachi or giant hornet are definitely something to be wary of. They get particularly upset around the color black, so try not to wear black clothing when in the mountains.
thanks for all that info, especially the tip about black clothes, I'll make sure to remember that one.

Last edited by RKitagawa : 06-16-2009 at 10:57 PM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
coolforcats1 (Offline)
Very Regular to JF!

06-16-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Oh my that is huge!!! :O

I don't mind bugs and insects, but that might have to go in my "things I don't like" list lol

L.O.V.E Nyappy!
カチイ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21854982@N08/
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-16-2009, 11:55 PM

Japan is crawling with bugs. The most famous ones are the rhinoceros beetle and the giant sawdust beetle. Kids love these things, and they sell them in pet stores (and sometimes the 100 yen shop).

My first experience with Japanese bugs was when I moved into my apartment and found it infested with huge cockroaches. I bought poison traps which got rid of them, but I hated sharing my apartment with them for the first couple weeks I was here.

The next experience was with a huge gray spider which moved in a few months later. It was as big across as my hand, but it was super fast, and I had a hard time trying to get close enough to kill it. I managed to vacuum it up one day, but it got out of the vacuum cleaner somehow. I finally cornered it one day behind my tv and smacked it with a shoe.

I saw this bug flying through the air when I was walking through the park one day, I have no idea what it is, but it was as big as my hand.