JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Bugs In Japan - warning, bug pictures (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/25888-bugs-japan-warning-bug-pictures.html)

Kyousuke 06-17-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyavifan (Post 734686)
Are these worse than in the U.S.? and does it matter whether you're allergic or not?

I'm fairly certain it was a hornet which stung me repeatedly once, and only ended up puffy and red, where I was stung.

no worries, japanese hornets tend to kill you, so dont worry about allergic reactions. once they attack you they send out a signal to other hornets of its kind to attack.

Kyousuke 06-17-2009 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKitagawa (Post 734651)
that's true i guess. But I'm not really afraid of these bugs because of how dangerous they are.

I've always had a fear of centipedes. Just because... they're gross man... lol

try waking up with this thing in your bed,lol.

or this

kinda makes you feel better about your situation huh.

burkhartdesu 06-17-2009 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeyOberon (Post 734701)
Oh, yes, they are worse. An American hornet is pretty much just a hornet unless you are allergic, their sting is like a nasty pinch that swells up and stays sore for a few days. They are kind of mean, but not as bad as some kinds of wasp.

By contrast, a Japanese (or Asian) hornet is a vicious, hateful bastard that has the capacity to kill a person with no allergy. And just to make things more fun, they have absolutely no natural predators.

As for ticks vs. hornets/wasps -- I would trade my hornet sting for a tick bite any day! Lyme disease is actually very rare and only deer ticks are carriers. (Deer ticks are the brown ones with a single white dot on their backs. They are about the size of a capital "O.")

Of course, I'm allergic to bees/hornets/wasps, so it's an easy choice for me.

My uncle died from Lymes... it's more common than you might think!

(He got bit by a tick in Oregon)

RKitagawa 06-17-2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyousuke (Post 734840)
try waking up with this thing in your bed,lol.

kinda makes you feel better about your situation huh.

okay that first one is obviously fake.
but still gives me the creeps. second one looks kinda cool actually.

Kyousuke 06-17-2009 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKitagawa (Post 734870)
okay that first one is obviously fake.
but still gives me the creeps. second one looks kinda cool actually.

i know but what if you found that in your bed. i probably wouldnt mind. its the bugs with all those eyes that make me sick .

RKitagawa 06-17-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sangetsu (Post 734831)
Japan is crawling with bugs. The most famous ones are the rhinoceros beetle and the giant sawdust beetle. Kids love these things, and they sell them in pet stores (and sometimes the 100 yen shop).

ugh, cockroaches...
that spider sounds interesting, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of that would you?
and, awesome photograph, as always Sangetsu, that's a crazy looking bug.

Here's another photo of a japanese spider, and some info on it:

Quote:

ake ashi daka gumo, or the “high leg” spider. Huge, brown with knobby legs, these spiders are common residents in Japanese homes.

Frightening in size and speed, these are excellent cockroach killers and are harmless to humans

RKitagawa 06-17-2009 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyousuke (Post 734877)
i know but what if you found that in your bed. i probably wouldnt mind. its the bugs with all those eyes that make me sick .

lol, you wouldn't mind????
I wouldn't let myself sleep until i nuked that bastard.

I seriously can't stand like 99% of bugs. If I see them outside then I'm okay with it; But if there's a bug in my house, and it's not paying any rent, I'm giving it the shoe.

Pexster 06-17-2009 02:31 AM

Oh GOD!!!

More bigger than I expected.

Kyousuke 06-17-2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKitagawa (Post 734883)
lol, you wouldn't mind????
I wouldn't let myself sleep until i nuked that bastard.

I seriously can't stand like 99% of bugs. If I see them outside then I'm okay with it; But if there's a bug in my house, and it's not paying any rent, I'm giving it the shoe.

centipedes dont BUG me, excuse the pun, because they are harmless, at least the ones in my area. its bugs with alot of eyes or round things on their backs that give me the creeps

RKitagawa 06-17-2009 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyousuke (Post 734885)
centipedes dont BUG me, excuse the pun, because they are harmless, at least the ones in my area. its bugs with alot of eyes or round things on their backs that give me the creeps

well.. bugs with a lot of eyes aren't necessarily harmful either lol.
Most centipedes are actually venomous though.

anyways, to each his own. I get the creeps from a lot of legs, you get the creeps from a lot of eyes.

Here's a picture of some eyes for you:

And some legs for me:

ughhhhhh, I'm not getting any sleep tonight.