JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to RKitagawa
Bugs In Japan - warning, bug pictures - 06-16-2009, 02:52 PM

If there is one thing that really truly scares me about going to japan. It would be the bugs. I've always been quite squeamish when it comes to insects. But having lived most of my life in the city, it hasn't been much of a problem.
Anyways, there are two Japanese bugs in particular that scare the living S#!T out of me.

One: The Mukade

and Two: The Geji-Geji

I know the Geji-Geji is quite harmless (apparantly) but... EWWWWW, as you might be able to tell I have a strong dislike towards lots of legs....

so, I was wondering if there were any other particularly nasty/dangerous little bastards I should know about. I hear the giant killer hornets are responsible for a large number of deaths each year.

feel free to post as many disgusting pictures you can find.
And to people who have actually had the privilege of sharing a house with these bugs, what are your thoughts? Do they bother you at all?

Last edited by RKitagawa : 06-16-2009 at 02:58 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Quit worrying about these bugs. Mosquitoes are the most dangerous in the world due to the diseases they carry. Be very afraid.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-16-2009, 03:49 PM

I have never seen the first - but the second... Those come into our house around this time of year if I`m not careful to plug all the tiny openings on our screen doors and windows.

Most of the time the cats get them before I have to do anything, but it really sucks to have one run across the room or up on the wall. I can`t say I`m a fan of them, but it`s nice at least to know they`re harmless. I was afraid they`d bite me or something.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Quit worrying about these bugs. Mosquitoes are the most dangerous in the world due to the diseases they carry. Be very afraid.
that's true i guess. But I'm not really afraid of these bugs because of how dangerous they are.

I've always had a fear of centipedes. Just because... they're gross man... lol

Last edited by RKitagawa : 06-16-2009 at 03:57 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I have never seen the first - but the second... Those come into our house around this time of year if I`m not careful to plug all the tiny openings on our screen doors and windows.

Most of the time the cats get them before I have to do anything, but it really sucks to have one run across the room or up on the wall. I can`t say I`m a fan of them, but it`s nice at least to know they`re harmless. I was afraid they`d bite me or something.
actually I think they do bite sometimes.. lol sorry to break it to ya.
But they generally don't bother humans. In fact, they are considered useful to some people due to the fact that they eat cockroaches, moths, and other annoying pests.

The Mukade on the other hand, are vicious, poisonous, giant things, that always live in pairs and bite anything that touches it...

Last edited by RKitagawa : 06-16-2009 at 03:58 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kcyk8703 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2009, 04:05 PM

My first day in Japan I came across one of those geji-geji bugs. Luckily it was only a small guy. Hard to catch, they move quite fast and can jump (sorta). I threw it outside after catching it.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2009, 04:21 PM

The bugs seem to be bigger in Japan don't they? The cockroaches, dragonflies, hornets, etc. I guess it's that warm humid climate.

The bug that scares me the most out here are the ticks. They're sneaky little bastards and many of them carry Lyme disease which is pretty nasty.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Pexster (Offline)
j'adore le baise tu

06-16-2009, 04:27 PM

Some bugs I don't really mind, but those are purtty...Disturbing pics.

A Dream Of Form In Days Of Thought

www.mydramalist.com

Eiri is my Property, Bitches.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Mauja (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2009, 04:28 PM

Wow, this topic is interesting.. I´ve never seen pictures of something like that, I was like O___O when I saw it... I wouldn´t like to meet this.. Well maybe yes but let it walk on my body... eagh... *stares on 2nd pic...*
More photos of more monsters ^.^
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-16-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKitagawa View Post
actually I think they do bite sometimes.. lol sorry to break it to ya.
But they generally don't bother humans. In fact, they are considered useful to some people due to the fact that they eat cockroaches, moths, and other annoying pests.

The Mukade on the other hand, are vicious, poisonous, giant things, that always live in pairs and bite anything that touches it...
Well, I meant more in the order of running up to me and biting me. I can deal with bugs defending themselves - just not when they`re outright vicious.

I have a much greater fear of the huge hornets than I do of mukade... Mukade don`t fly.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.