JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
mythix (Offline)
v o i d

Hotels in Tokyo ? - 06-23-2009, 06:18 AM

So, I heard that a majority of hotels in Tokyo are more geared toward men/businessmen and aren't that friendly to the female gender, let alone travelling women. I am not sure if this is true, but I have heard it from a few of my friends who seem to insist that it's true, as well as it was hinted on in Shojo Beat not too long ago. I mean, they act like this issue is serious business or something, but it just doesn't seem like that would be truthful, in such extremes...

I am not sure if I am getting the name of the Hotel franchise right, but I heard that the 'Pod' hotels are more geared towards men than women, which are hotels that their rooms are 'pods' and tend to be the cheapest, too. Has anyone heard about these hotels and gender preference rumors, and do you guys have any info about it?

(And, haha, if your willing, do you have any advice on what hotels are best when travelling to Tokyo, if you have been there?)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-23-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythix View Post
So, I heard that a majority of hotels in Tokyo are more geared toward men/businessmen and aren't that friendly to the female gender, let alone travelling women. I am not sure if this is true, but I have heard it from a few of my friends who seem to insist that it's true, as well as it was hinted on in Shojo Beat not too long ago. I mean, they act like this issue is serious business or something, but it just doesn't seem like that would be truthful, in such extremes...

I am not sure if I am getting the name of the Hotel franchise right, but I heard that the 'Pod' hotels are more geared towards men than women, which are hotels that their rooms are 'pods' and tend to be the cheapest, too. Has anyone heard about these hotels and gender preference rumors, and do you guys have any info about it?

(And, haha, if your willing, do you have any advice on what hotels are best when travelling to Tokyo, if you have been there?)
Capsule hotels are often men only. Business hotels and normal hotels are for everyone.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mythix (Offline)
v o i d

06-23-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Capsule hotels are often men only. Business hotels and normal hotels are for everyone.
Ah, 'Capsule' - that was the word I was looking for!
Okay then, now I have it - thanks so much for replying, appreciate it :]
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
06-23-2009, 06:39 AM

you may want to find a small town a little away from tokyo to stay in. it's cheaper and gives you a chance to wind down from the crowded tokyo scene. a 20-45 minute train ride isn't all that bad to save a lot of money later.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
mythix (Offline)
v o i d

06-23-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
you may want to find a small town a little away from tokyo to stay in. it's cheaper and gives you a chance to wind down from the crowded tokyo scene. a 20-45 minute train ride isn't all that bad to save a lot of money later.
Yeah, that's does sound like a good plan - my friends and I were thinking of trying to find a place that was...eh heh, a bit calmer than right in the middle of everything, lol :] But yes, I totally hear where you are coming from on saving the money, that would be no problem at all...

Thanks so much for the advice, much appreciated!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythix View Post
Yeah, that's does sound like a good plan - my friends and I were thinking of trying to find a place that was...eh heh, a bit calmer than right in the middle of everything, lol :] But yes, I totally hear where you are coming from on saving the money, that would be no problem at all...

Thanks so much for the advice, much appreciated!
I usually stay at a business hotel when I am there, it cost me around 4000yen-6000yen per person per night. I usually stay around Shibuya, Shinjuku or Ueno. Very convenient location, and it is extremely easy to get around tokyo if you base yourself in one of these area...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-23-2009, 05:01 PM

I like Ueno because just a few minutes from the station it is very quiet, even though you are in Tokyo.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Cypsis (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Cypsis
06-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Actually I really don´t know much about good hotels, but I heard that Sakura hotel is normal. It should be one of the cheapest hotels in Tokyo. But I´m not sure.. upz

A Girl with a dream
(#9 (permalink))
Old
HollyW (Offline)
New to JF

Formerly Crowne Plaza - 06-24-2009, 09:14 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Metropolitan in Ikebukuro last month. It was a "no-frills" room, but the staff was VERY friendly and helpful. The best part about that hotel was that it was across the street from Ikebukuro Station. Very convenient.

Hey, MMM: Where do you stay in Ueno? I liked that area very much.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
edopeno (Offline)
New to JF

06-26-2009, 08:36 PM

I stayed at the Sakura Hotel Ikebukuro. Very close to Ikebukuro West Gate Park. Remember that drama? Anyways, the prices are very reasonable and the rooms, its as if you were living in an appartment in Japan! Yup, quite tight. But its great. Check them out if you get a chance.