JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Chile (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Chile Send a message via Skype™ to Chile
The Adventure of University - 07-07-2009, 09:40 PM

I am a student, hoping to relocate to Japan for University and long-term residence. Is there any essential travel advice?
I am unsure as to how to execute this plan, and need a place to start. I will be going with a friend, so finances will be combined for the purpose of living expenses.

Specifics I would like to know are:
-What steps need be taken in preparation for a long-term move, and University?
-How best to apply/prepare for Japanese University
-Legal requirements for such a move
-Unique financial expectations (I have heard of things like "key payments" on apartments)
-Are there any locations or Universities preferred to foreign students?
-Are there steps I can take, or credit I can earn towards my goal? Anything that will make it easier to gain legal and long-term entrance.

I am not horribly picky about the university I attend for my undergraduate degree. In fact, before I enroll in a university I am probably going to need some college prep (which may, upon qualification, up my requirements for university).

Thanks!

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum! If it has been, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction so I can make the necessary changes!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-07-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile View Post
I am a student, hoping to relocate to Japan for University and long-term residence. Is there any essential travel advice?
I am unsure as to how to execute this plan, and need a place to start. I will be going with a friend, so finances will be combined for the purpose of living expenses.

-Unique financial expectations (I have heard of things like "key payments" on apartments)
-Are there steps I can take, or credit I can earn towards my goal? Anything that will make it easier to gain legal and long-term entrance.

I am not horribly picky about the university I attend for my undergraduate degree. In fact, before I enroll in a university I am probably going to need some college prep (which may, upon qualification, up my requirements for university).

Thanks!

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum! If it has been, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction so I can make the necessary changes!
A few question before we jump into answering this post, are you currently in University already or in the process of planning to apply? Have you been to Japan before? How good is your Japanese?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Chile (Offline)
New to JF

07-07-2009, 10:49 PM

I am in the process of planning to apply to University. I have been in college for awhile, but have not yet attended a university.

I have taken Japanese off and on for four years, but I am not very good at it.
My studies have been inconsistent. Should I really decide to move to Japan for University, I will be taking college courses in Japanese before making the move.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-07-2009, 10:54 PM

What you need to do is look at international universities where classes are taught in English. There you can also take Japanese classes.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Chile (Offline)
New to JF

07-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
What you need to do is look at international universities where classes are taught in English. There you can also take Japanese classes.
I have been in the process of researching Japanese Universities that offer programs in language to foreigners for awhile now. But no matter my research, nothing offers me the kind of information I need about basic preparation for students, or general movers.
The university does not concern me as much as other things. I am familiar with educational bureaucracy, but fairly new at EVERYTHING else - haha! Life in a bubble.

Anyways, my goal here is to gather advice on the subjects of transition and preparation. No doubt it will be hard, but I want to have the essentials covered.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

I suggest American schools in Japan, such as Temple University Japan.

LOVE: pass it on
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Chile (Offline)
New to JF

07-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
I suggest American schools in Japan, such as Temple University Japan.
Did you read my third post?

I would really appreciate the help, if anyone has some advice to offer...I joined this forum specifically to gather information for this trip. All other resources are sparse.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Did you read my third post?

I would really appreciate the help, if anyone has some advice to offer...I joined this forum specifically to gather information for this trip. All other resources are sparse.
Yes, I did. I'm not sure why you can't research American schools in Japan. There's a lot of information available for that. If there something you feel that only Japanese Universities can offer?

LOVE: pass it on
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-08-2009, 10:01 PM

The reason resources are sparse is because Japanese schools aren't in the business of accepting students who don't read Japanese, therefore cannot pass an entrance exam.

Every non-Japanese I know who has attended a university in Japan has either gone on an exchange with their home university for a term or a year, or has gone to an American college like Temple. The only exception I know is of Kenyan marathon runners who were accepted to run in the very competitive college marathons.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Chile (Offline)
New to JF

This is irritating. - 07-08-2009, 11:43 PM

I do not have any problem with English speaking schools in Japan. Or American schools. My problem is that my actual problem is not being addressed. I must not have specified earlier - I have been researching all manner of schooling in Japan. Of course no university would accept me into a degree program without first speaking the language, and passing the entrance examination(s). My expectations are not fantastical. I simply desire to live in another country - and am looking for advice. I am beside myself here. Is it that I don't sound serious enough?
I would appreciate a strong, informational response to the post I started this thread with. If you do not have anything to contribute towards that particular discussion, please save your comments for the members of this forum who are milking their nuts over the latest manga.