JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
BloodStone003 (Offline)
New to JF

Visiting Japan in Sept.: Need Suggestions/Opinions - 07-15-2009, 09:32 PM

Hi,

I'll be visiting Japan for the first time in Sept. for 3 weeks by myself and I need some opinions on places to visit/stay as I'm making my itinerary for the trip. I know I have to visit the major cities such as Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto, but what other cities should I visit since I have 3 weeks to fit everything in?

I'm not into sighting that much, but more into doing things that are fun/adventurous so any suggestions in that direction would be helpful. One of the things I wanted to do is climb Mt. Fuji, has anyone done this? Any info. regarding this would be great, including booking in advance, cost, etc.

I was also wondering since I'll traveling all over Japan, should I book a hotel/hostel in advance before arriving in the city or will I be able to book one that day/night?

I don't want to ramble on so... Any and all opinion/suggestions/info. are welcome. Thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-15-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodStone003 View Post
Hi,

I'll be visiting Japan for the first time in Sept. for 3 weeks by myself and I need some opinions on places to visit/stay as I'm making my itinerary for the trip. I know I have to visit the major cities such as Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto, but what other cities should I visit since I have 3 weeks to fit everything in?

I'm not into sighting that much, but more into doing things that are fun/adventurous so any suggestions in that direction would be helpful. One of the things I wanted to do is climb Mt. Fuji, has anyone done this? Any info. regarding this would be great, including booking in advance, cost, etc.

I was also wondering since I'll traveling all over Japan, should I book a hotel/hostel in advance before arriving in the city or will I be able to book one that day/night?

I don't want to ramble on so... Any and all opinion/suggestions/info. are welcome. Thanks in advance!
As a rule of thumb of travel always try and book your hostel/hotel at least two days in advance, unless you really can't help it. The worst scenario is finding only one hostel in the area, arriving on the night and finding it full with no idea where to go next. I mean, the place might help you out, but that's not something you should just rely on. At least if you book (and it's very easy online, try hostelbookers or hostelworld) you can travel without worry and really scout where you want to stay too. 'K's House' in Kyoto is a reasonable place to stay; it's right by kyoto station and Shichijo on the keihan (handy for Osaka) and you can day trip from there to hiroshima, Nara, Osaka, although if you're not interested in sight seeing, Hiroshima is probably not worth the effort.

Official Tourism Guide for Japan Travel this site has an 'adventure' section which you might be interested in. There's plenty of available information about Mt Fuji online so just google for it.

If you want something really random, there's a mountain hiking trail at Kisaichi (take the keihan line osaka-bound from Shichijo, Kyoto and change at Hirakata) that rambles up and terminates at (oddly) a row-boating lake cum farm. It's non-touristy, scenic and a lot of fun with random climbing walls and towers along the way, plus easy to get back to the city for dinner when you're done.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Hi,

It really depends on what you want to do, you can't just go everywhere, its not a petting zoo. I suggest spending a day in Kagoshima, a day in Hakata, almost everywhere in Japan can be an adventure. I don't know how one can climb Fuji, never planned for it, so i don't know, you will have to ask others, but I can suggest the best view of it.

Tell us what you like to do and maybe we can offer something???
(#4 (permalink))
Old
BloodStone003 (Offline)
New to JF

07-15-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
As a rule of thumb of travel always try and book your hostel/hotel at least two days in advance, unless you really can't help it. The worst scenario is finding only one hostel in the area, arriving on the night and finding it full with no idea where to go next. I mean, the place might help you out, but that's not something you should just rely on. At least if you book (and it's very easy online, try hostelbookers or hostelworld) you can travel without worry and really scout where you want to stay too. 'K's House' in Kyoto is a reasonable place to stay; it's right by kyoto station and Shichijo on the keihan (handy for Osaka) and you can day trip from there to hiroshima, Nara, Osaka, although if you're not interested in sight seeing, Hiroshima is probably not worth the effort.

Official Tourism Guide for Japan Travel this site has an 'adventure' section which you might be interested in. There's plenty of available information about Mt Fuji online so just google for it.

If you want something really random, there's a mountain hiking trail at Kisaichi (take the keihan line osaka-bound from Shichijo, Kyoto and change at Hirakata) that rambles up and terminates at (oddly) a row-boating lake cum farm. It's non-touristy, scenic and a lot of fun with random climbing walls and towers along the way, plus easy to get back to the city for dinner when you're done.
Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations! I've looked at a few sites regarding hostels/hotels already, but haven't booked anything yet since I'm still planning my trip and debating how many days I'll stay in ea. city. I've read so many things regarding this trip and the amount of info. is quite overwhelming sometimes.

I think the most confusing thing is the rail system and transition from city to city. I'm going to purchase the Rail Pass for 21 days; will this be enough to get around most of Japan or at least the places I want to go?

David
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-15-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations! I've looked at a few sites regarding hostels/hotels already, but haven't booked anything yet since I'm still planning my trip and debating how many days I'll stay in ea. city. I've read so many things regarding this trip and the amount of info. is quite overwhelming sometimes.

I think the most confusing thing is the rail system and transition from city to city. I'm going to purchase the Rail Pass for 21 days; will this be enough to get around most of Japan or at least the places I want to go?

David
In theory you could see a large part of Japan in those 21 days, but the question is, how much of your trip do you want to spend sitting in a train.

I would pick (like you did) a few main cities to use a bases, and then satellite out. I think people forget that just moving and checking in takes time.

Kyoto, Kobe, Nara, are all day trips from Osaka (I would stay in Umeda, probably) A night in Kyoto wouldn't be a bad idea.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
BloodStone003 (Offline)
New to JF

07-15-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
It really depends on what you want to do, you can't just go everywhere, its not a petting zoo. I suggest spending a day in Kagoshima, a day in Hakata, almost everywhere in Japan can be an adventure. I don't know how one can climb Fuji, never planned for it, so i don't know, you will have to ask others, but I can suggest the best view of it.

Tell us what you like to do and maybe we can offer something???
I apologize about being vague in my question. I'm really up for anything, and this may sound naive, but I want to experience Japan instead of just looking at it. I want to be able to experience the culture of Japan say like going to a festival, learning a technique for doing something, etc. I know that's still a little vague, but I hope it helps.

If you could suggest one thing you have to do, one place you have to eat at, or one thing you have to see in this any particular city; was the type of suggestions/recommendation I was looking for. Know what I mean? Thanks for the above suggestions!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Hoshi342 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Hoshi342
08-14-2009, 06:08 AM

heyy i just got back from japan & it was amazing! besides the cities you are visiting, Nagasaki would also be a nice place to go. it mostly on the water & while you're there you should go to the Nagasaki Bomb Museum. it is very memorable.

and i am very proud to say that i have climbed mt fuji not the entire thing, of course haha ^.^ what i did (and it seemed easiest, i dont really know because i was traveling with a large group so it was ideal) drive up to the 5th station, which is the highest place you can go on the mountain by car, and it is approximately a 45 minute drive up the mountain on a windy road. there im sure that they do tours (we had 2 awesome tour guides who could speak english!). we climbed up to the 6th level from there. the climb up was mostly uphill andthe trail is all rocks & sand. at the 6th level there is a gift shop & a vending machine (drink a lot of water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). after the 6th level we walked to the biggest crater on the mountain, which was relatively close, and we even got to go in it then we walked back. be careful on the way back down..you dont realize how steep the trail is until youre practically sliding down it! im afriad that i dont know anything about cost or if you have to book in advance..but it would defianely be a fun experience! :]

(#8 (permalink))
Old
bibo (Offline)
New to JF

Northern + Central Kyushu tips - 08-15-2009, 11:14 PM

I you plan to visit also Kyushu island I would suggest to see:

Beppu city - the most famous onsen city in Japan (you can try many kinds of treatment there - onsen, sand bathing, mud bathing, steam bath)
For cheap accommodation in a traditional Japanese house there, google for HAPPY NEKO, BEPPU

Mt. Aso - the biggest active volcano in Japan (accessible by cable car or by hiking trail)

For more information on the places, just google for them.

If you would like to try zen-meditation there check - zenretreat.com > vitamins for the soul
(#9 (permalink))
Old
BloodStone003 (Offline)
New to JF

08-24-2009, 08:19 AM

Thanks guys for all the replies, I've gotten some great info. it has helped me in my planning.

Here's my itinerary for Japan:
Sept. 7-9 Tokyo
Sept. 9-13 Osaka
Sept. 14-17 Kyoto
Sept. 17-24 Fukuoka, Hiroshima, etc.
Sept. 25-28 Tokyo - Flying back home

What do you guys think? Feel free to suggested or comment on anything, I'm all ears. Thanks for sharing.

David
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-24-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the replies, I've gotten some great info. it has helped me in my planning.

Here's my itinerary for Japan:
Sept. 7-9 Tokyo
Sept. 9-13 Osaka
Sept. 14-17 Kyoto
Sept. 17-24 Fukuoka, Hiroshima, etc.
Sept. 25-28 Tokyo - Flying back home

What do you guys think? Feel free to suggested or comment on anything, I'm all ears. Thanks for sharing.

David

7 days in Kyushu area seems a bit much. Will you be making side trips to city like Hiroshima, Himeji and such?