JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jayjay007 (Offline)
New to JF

Tokyo - 07-21-2009, 02:47 PM

Hi

I am traveling to Tokyo from the UK for the first time in September, staying in Shinjuku, and would like to know what you consider the top 3 places to visit are.

Many thanks

Jay Jay
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-21-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay007 View Post
Hi

I am traveling to Tokyo from the UK for the first time in September, staying in Shinjuku, and would like to know what you consider the top 3 places to visit are.

Many thanks
Depends upon what you like... if you find temples to be boring, then Nikko may not be for you. If you have no interest in seeing cosplayers, then Harajuku is not for you. And so on...

Personally, I love seeing ornate temples and don't care about cosplayers, so what I suggest may not be what you'd like.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-21-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Hi

Many thanks
How long are you going for? What is your budget? And as per Samurai 007, what do you like to see?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ninjaselo (Offline)
New to JF

07-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Hi

Many thanks
jayjay007, are you going for Tokyo Game Show 09? If so, what dates will you be there?

I will be there between 22 sept - 2 oct. It will be my first time in Tokyo so I also want some advice (where to visit). I mostly like technology and console gaming so to see some cosplayers will be ok for me. I can also visit some temples when I'm there.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2009, 02:39 PM

Meiji Jingu is quite close to Shinjuku station maybe a 20 min walk and a fantastic Shinto shrine if you get there around 7:45 - 8:00 am you'll see the priests.

You'll obviously want to hit Akibahara however keep in mind it's really over priced and you can find games far cheaper elsewhere.

Where are you staying in Shinjuku ? I was just there in March.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-30-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Depends upon what you like... if you find temples to be boring, then Nikko may not be for you. If you have no interest in seeing cosplayers, then Harajuku is not for you. And so on...

Personally, I love seeing ornate temples and don't care about cosplayers, so what I suggest may not be what you'd like.
Ironically, the nicest temple in Tokyo is just a few steps from Harajuku Station.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2009, 08:16 AM

There is way more to Harajuku than just cosplayers. I couldn't care less about cosplayers, but there is plenty in Harajuku to keep me occupied. It's Meiji Shrine that's near Harajuku station, and it's a bit of a walk away because the approach is quite long- I suppose you could call that a few steps, relatively speaking though- or did you mean a Buddhist temple somewhere nearby, MMM? I can't think of one.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-02-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
There is way more to Harajuku than just cosplayers. I couldn't care less about cosplayers, but there is plenty in Harajuku to keep me occupied. It's Meiji Shrine that's near Harajuku station, and it's a bit of a walk away because the approach is quite long- I suppose you could call that a few steps, relatively speaking though- or did you mean a Buddhist temple somewhere nearby, MMM? I can't think of one.
You are right, it is Meiji Shrine, not temple, and at least the entrance is a few steps from the station.