JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
cheshirechic (Offline)
New to JF

Acceptable Tourist Fashion for Tokyo and Kyoto? - 07-25-2009, 02:19 AM

Hello!

I'm 24, and traveling to Tokyo and Kyoto with my very ancient Japanese Auntie (83!) and I'd love some fashion advice. When I've traveled in Europe, I tried to not stick out as a tourist, but I realize that this will be somewhat harder in Japan. I know that it will be pretty hot and humid, and we're generally doing city sightseeing, even though we might veer off of the urban path to visit family.

So:
What is acceptable casual youth fashion in these two cities?
Can I wear my usual uniform of skinny jeans, t-shirts, and sandals, or should I lean more toward sun dresses?
Will it look weird to wear something like Top Siders or Converse sneakers, or should I wear dressy (but comfortable) sandals instead?

I'd really love and appreciate any and all help. Thank you!

Edit: Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, my apologies! Please move it if necessary.

Last edited by cheshirechic : 07-25-2009 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Wrong forum? I hope not.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-25-2009, 02:26 AM

Anything is probably fine. Clean and not with holes torn in them is the main thing. Skinny jeans are fine, but it's hot in the summer.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-25-2009, 04:05 AM

The two big ways to spot tourists (in my experience) is that they`re either wearing much messier looking clothes than average (T-shirts, raggy jeans, etc) - or they`re wearing something that exposes too much skin.
Be careful in those two areas and you should be alright. Despite what a lot of people think (Thanks to pics around the net, etc) everyday Japanese clothing is pretty conservative.

For pretty average looking clothes, check out some digital catalogs for "everyday wear";

http://www.felissimo.co.jp/iedit/v8/catalogue/index.cfm

and

http://dc.bellemaison.jp/dc/141200904_/index.html

Are pretty standard fare.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-25-2009, 07:41 AM

There's no way I can wear my skinny jeans in summer, it's far, far too hot, especially in Kyoto. Go for lightweight fabrics that won't make you overheat.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
cheshirechic (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
The two big ways to spot tourists (in my experience) is that they`re either wearing much messier looking clothes than average (T-shirts, raggy jeans, etc) - or they`re wearing something that exposes too much skin.
Be careful in those two areas and you should be alright. Despite what a lot of people think (Thanks to pics around the net, etc) everyday Japanese clothing is pretty conservative.

For pretty average looking clothes, check out some digital catalogs for "everyday wear";

http://www.felissimo.co.jp/iedit/v8/catalogue/index.cfm

and

http://dc.bellemaison.jp/dc/141200904_/index.html

Are pretty standard fare.
Fabulous! I was just looking for links. I tried to check out Elle Japan, but I wasn't so successful. I really appreciate it.

@ MMM: Definitely not. Thanks!

@ sarasi: Great advice. I'll probably stick to linen, lightweight cotton, khaki, and layering tanks or somesuch. Thank you.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
mzamike (Offline)
New to JF

07-29-2009, 06:52 PM

I've read shorts aren't commonly worn in the city for the fleshy reason Nyororin mentioned. Anyone know about this?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-29-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzamike View Post
I've read shorts aren't commonly worn in the city for the fleshy reason Nyororin mentioned. Anyone know about this?
Shorts that go over the knees seems more common to me...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-29-2009, 07:59 PM

I would say shorts were uncommon. All of the people I hung out with in Japan thought it was odd that I always wore shorts. I almost never wear pants. Only one of my friends from japan wore shorts, the rest wore pants. Even when it was pretty hot out.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-29-2009, 11:36 PM

Every year I see more and more people in shorts, even in the upmarket areas of the central cities. I was in Ginza on the weekend and there were so many guys of all ages in shorts, which is quite a new thing. They were pretty much all knee-length, and they seem to wear them with sneakers (nice ones) rather than sandals.

For women as well shorts are becoming much more common although you are unlikely to see a woman over 40 in shorts.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-30-2009, 12:17 AM

Half-pants are a lot more common than shorts. They`re all usually knee length or thereabout. Mid-thigh style is not really popular at all and you won`t often see people in them.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.