JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
coatl15 (Offline)
New to JF

Advice for staying in tokyo for a month - 07-26-2009, 06:03 PM

I have never been to japan before. Although I've been wanting to go since I was very young. I am planning on going to tokyo in Nov. and staying for a full month. I am staying in one of the sakura houses for a pretty good price. Well all I want to know is if $2000 should be enough to stay in tokyo for a month.

Thank You
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-26-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatl15 View Post
I have never been to japan before. Although I've been wanting to go since I was very young. I am planning on going to tokyo in Nov. and staying for a full month. I am staying in one of the sakura houses for a pretty good price. Well all I want to know is if $2000 should be enough to stay in tokyo for a month.

Thank You
Want to make an OK trip into an excellent trip? Then cut your trip by about two weeks. $2000 is enough to live in Tokyo for a month, but not enough to vacation in Tokyo for a month. And why would you want to spend a month in Tokyo. You will see everything you could possibly want in about 10 days.

If it is your first time to Japan and you are going alone, make it for two weeks, three weeks absolute tops, and be able to splurge a little on sites and fun stuff.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
coatl15 (Offline)
New to JF

07-27-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Want to make an OK trip into an excellent trip? Then cut your trip by about two weeks. $2000 is enough to live in Tokyo for a month, but not enough to vacation in Tokyo for a month. And why would you want to spend a month in Tokyo. You will see everything you could possibly want in about 10 days.

If it is your first time to Japan and you are going alone, make it for two weeks, three weeks absolute tops, and be able to splurge a little on sites and fun stuff.
Thanks for the advice. Now that you mention it a month would probably be to long.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
07-27-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatl15 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Now that you mention it a month would probably be to long.
as MMM said, one month in Tokyo is too long. I had enough of Tokyo in two days. I'm staying in Saitama and traveling all around and been here for 2 months. 2 months is too long

i don't think 2,000 is enough to stay in tokyo for a month. did you count plane ticket, apartment, food, spending, transportation? i spent well over 3,000 the first month and my apartment isn't as expensive as tokyo would be

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun

Last edited by JackIsLost : 07-27-2009 at 08:49 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-27-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
as MMM said, one month in Tokyo is too long. I had enough of Tokyo in two days. I'm staying in Saitama and traveling all around and been here for 2 months. 2 months is too long
I knew that from your first posts, Jack. I know you are with your GF, which I understand, but you are living proof that "the longer the vacation the better" isn't necessarily true. It changes from a "vacation" to "living life" in a country and culture you don't understand, and that is work...which isn't a vacation.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JackIsLost (Offline)
Wanderer

Send a message via AIM to JackIsLost
07-27-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I knew that from your first posts, Jack. I know you are with your GF, which I understand, but you are living proof that "the longer the vacation the better" isn't necessarily true. It changes from a "vacation" to "living life" in a country and culture you don't understand, and that is work...which isn't a vacation.
haha, yeah definately. my brother kept warning me 2 weeks would be ideal. but this experience has been a good one. i'm returning home soon and i'm happy my summer went well.

and for the OP. tokyo is not that great, but you'll find out yourself if you like it or not.

うんこ漏らした。

my gun is bigger than your gun
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-27-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsLost View Post
haha, yeah definately. my brother kept warning me 2 weeks would be ideal. but this experience has been a good one. i'm returning home soon and i'm happy my summer went well.

and for the OP. tokyo is not that great, but you'll find out yourself if you like it or not.
It just depends what you are looking for. I like Tokyo a lot, but it isn't my favorite city in Japan. I like Yokohama a lot more than Tokyo. I feel like it is cleaner and has more character, even though it is just "next door". When I am in Kanto I usually spend more time in Yokohama than Tokyo.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-29-2009, 07:25 AM

I would echo MMM

Two weeks is more then enough, will you see everything ? No, but you will see everything you wanted to in two weeks. I know I did.

If your talking $2K for spending money you will be more then covered. I was there for two weeks in March and spent less then 1K on food, video games etc..

Take advantage of the "lunch set" prices 800 - 900 yen, every place has them and they go 7 days a week.