Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
PocketRockets285 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to PocketRockets285
07-29-2009, 10:49 PM

Well, I voted for one month, as that's how long I'm planning for my first trip to Japan in 2010. I've already been saving for a year so money won't be a problem and I've studied the language for 4 years so I can make myself understood while I'm there.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
LuckyLuck (Offline)
Transform Tomorrow

Send a message via MSN to LuckyLuck
07-29-2009, 10:50 PM

I think that all depends on circumstances and what type of person you are.
People who get home sick easily might find two weeks hard.
When I visit places for vacation I usually like to stay for two weeks though sometimes more depending if I'm visiting family or not.

The path to equality is a long road to travel.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-30-2009, 12:20 AM

I also can`t really answer. It depends very very much upon the person and their way of thinking, financial situation, and their plans for the future.
My first trip to Japan was the full 90 days (actually, 88 to be exact...) I never regretted the length and it was perfect for me. 1 week may be the best for one person, 3 weeks for another, etc.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-30-2009, 12:23 AM

I'd go with two weeks, but mainly for financial reasons.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
lself (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2009, 01:10 AM

Then again, you are paying 1000 dollars for a flight. I think if you go less then two weeks it's not really worth that. My first trip was three weeks. The second was a month...or a little more..

雅はアメリカに行きます!
빅뱅하고 태군하고 허영생하고 동방신기하고
MBLAQ하고 아웃사이어하고 F.Cuz하고 U-Kiss를사랑해요!
(#16 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2009, 01:18 AM

Realistically I would say two weeks, but when I see what most people are wanting to do it would take at least three. I'm amazed that people want to travel all over Japan on their first trip and not just concentrate on one area. Two weeks living out of your suitcase is long enough.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
DJnohara (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2009, 02:04 AM

I was in Japan for about two weeks, and it wasn't nearly enough!
I think about a month is enough time to really see and experience Japan
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

07-30-2009, 02:39 AM

If you've got the time, the money, and the right attitude, I'd say a month at least. I wouldn't exactly equate a stay longer than two weeks with "moving" to Japan, but you certainly can get a deeper understanding of what daily Japanese life is like if you stay for a longer period of time, rather than just riding that wave of tourist euphoria that you get your first week or two there. As Nyororin said, it really depends on the person. My first time to Japan was an extended stay, and I felt very little culture shock, and I felt like I could have stayed even longer than I did (a month), but on the other hand, I've known people who simply can't deal with the "normal" Japanese lifestyle, and wouldn't be able to stay longer than the average tourist does. I watched a person have a mental breakdown by their third week of studying abroad in Japan and had to go home, just because she didn't 'click' with Japanese society very well.

So, I'd go with the following conclusion: if the person likes to travel and just wants to "see Japan", then make it two weeks, simple. But if the person has a desire to live in Japan in the future, I'd say stay as long as they can, because wandering around Buddhist temples or Akihabara isn't going to prepare someone for living there - they have to see how well they deal with daily life there.

郷に入っては郷に従え

Last edited by Hatredcopter : 07-30-2009 at 02:41 AM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
07-30-2009, 02:40 AM

I would say 3 weeks. The first 2 or 3 days you will need to get used to everything, you will need to get over the jetlag, etc.
Than you would want to spend some time in your city of choice (most people Tokyo i assume) so lets say a week. Than you want to travel to a few places (Maybe Kyoto, osaka, Nikko,...) so another week. Thats leaves you a few days at the end to just relax and do some shopping, go to game arcades, bars, clubs whatever is your thing.

I think 2 weeks would also be ok, but think about the jetlag (mine took nearly a week) and about the money you spend for the flight!

My first trip was 1 year (working holiday) and i started getting homesick after 10 month but it was not to strong so i stayed the full year.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-30-2009, 04:52 PM

Maybe it is because I am coming from the West Coast USA, but I usually don't have much jet lag when I arrive in Japan. However, when I come back it is really bad...takes like a week to get back in order.