JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mikanena (Offline)
New to JF

Tokyo & Osaka Trip SUmmer 2010 - 07-31-2009, 07:50 AM

So I am currently hoping to go to both TOKYO and OSAKA (kyoto) in the summer of 2010... but i'm in the process of making it happen. The length is between 14-21 days. (i haven't decided yet) and there will be four of us girls between the ages of 17-18.
It will be my second time to japan, (i lived in osaka for a month and a half... i know a few good places to have fun. But i did NOT live as a tourist.. but as an actual resident with a host family ^_^ it was loads of fun)
It will , however, be the other three girls first time.

Just some quick questions
-what are some great tourist sights and just good places to see and shop at (in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka)
-What are some good places to stay for housing? (i was looking into hostels, but i'm not sure.)
-Some yummy places to eat
-Any events?
- We are trying to keep it nice and economical since it's just us four going on our own.
-Any advice? Tips? Comments?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
07-31-2009, 08:48 AM

Kyoto: - Kiyomizudera Temple (my fave, huge temple up in the mountain)
- Kinkakuji (Golde pavilion)
- Ginkakuji (silver pavilion, not as touristy)
- Gion district (historical-looking district), don't eat there if you wanna have money left. If you turn into the one street for Gion and go till the end, there's a temple there that I like, especially at night. You can see maiko (geisha in training) here.
- Kabuki theater in Gion (forget the name)
- For souvenirs, get something with green tea (Maccha) in it.

Osaka: - Shopping in Namba/Shinsaibashi (start in Namba), make sure you go to the ドン・キホッテ on the river... it's a big yellow building with a big yellow ferris wheel that doesn't work.
- Eat Takoyaki. Yes, I know how it sounds, just eat it. But be CAREFUL and just puncture it with the toothpick first and give it plenty of time to cool off or you WILL burn your tongue.
- Eat Okonomiyaki. Use the spatula to cut it on the hotplace and eat pieces of it on your own place with chopsticks.
- Go to Umeda in the evening and go to the Sky Building. Go up to the very top and marvel at the sight of Osaka at sunset.
- Eat at an izakaya or yakiniku place in Umeda at night!

Who needs Tokyo? :P

PS: 17-18 yr old girls? You guys should try to stick together and watch out for one another. Japan is really, really safe, but it also has an army of perverts. (That's why we don't need a military!)

Also in between Shinsaibashi and Namba there's a bridge going over the river (canal?). You're gonna see a lot of hosts there. Just... take your obligatory pictures, and get away. They will try hard as HELL to pick you up, and if they succeed they will take you back to their club, where you'll proceed to buy drinks for yourselves and them, blow all your cash, and get nothing--yes, nothing--in return.

Last edited by GTJ : 07-31-2009 at 11:56 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-31-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJ View Post
- Gion district (historical-looking district), don't eat there if you wanna have money left. If you turn into the one street for Gion and go till the end, there's a temple there that I like, especially at night. You can see maiko (geisha in training) here.

Osaka: - Shopping in Namba/Shinsaibashi (start in Namba), make sure you go to the ドン・キホッテ on the river... it's a big yellow building with a big yellow ferris wheel that doesn't work.
- Eat Takoyaki. Yes, I know how it sounds, just eat it. But be CAREFUL and just puncture it with the toothpick first and give it plenty of time to cool off or you WILL burn your tongue.
- Eat Okonomiyaki. Use the spatula to cut it on the hotplace and eat pieces of it on your own place with chopsticks.
- Go to Umeda in the evening and go to the Sky Building. Go up to the very top and marvel at the sight of Osaka at sunset.

Who needs Tokyo? :P

PS: 17-18 yr old girls? You had all better STICK TOGETHER and watch out for one another. Don't think you're safe because you're tourists... Japan is known for its perverts. Which maybe you like, I dunno. But they're all in their 50's and with bald spots.

Also in between Shinsaibashi and Namba there's a bridge going over the river (canal?). You're gonna see a lot of hosts there. Just... take your obligatory pictures, and get away. They will try hard as HELL to pick you up, and if they succeed they will take you back to their club, where you'll proceed to buy drinks for yourselves and them, blow all your cash, and get nothing--yes, nothing--in return.
Don't scare her like that... Japan is probably one of the safest place for foreigner. Its just common sense that you take extra care of yourself when you are on a trip. The hosts handing out flyers are usually harmless, unless you try chatting them up or give them dirty looks....why would any tourist do this anywhere else?

Agree to all that in Kyoto, you can also add the Toei Eiga Mura, its a cheesy knock off of Universal Studio, a lot of Taiga drama are shot here...

Do drop by Himeji and Kobe (side trip, one full day each) when you are in Osaka. For Osaka itself, Namba and Dotonbori is a good stop, but it will only last you a day/night. By the shore area, Kaiyukan is one of the world largest aquarium, so thats a good sight.

Bewteen Osaka/Kyoto to Tokyo, you have Nagoya, which has a Toyota museum that talks about the history fo the Toyota company (And the future) if that interest you. Atami/Hakone gives you access to Fuji with NICE onsen resort, so if you built up some fatigue in your trip, it will be a good stop, just make sure you don't wander into a co-ed bath

AROUND Tokyo, I highly recommend you spend at least 1 full day in Yokohama, half a day in Kamakura, and possibly 2 days in Nikko. Others will suggest Takayama, its a bit out of the way, so I've never been, but its very nice there.

INSIDE Tokyo, there isn't much, its just a big city. Akihabara, Harajuku on a Sunday is a must. Harajuku on a sunday gives you access to street vendor in Yoyogi park. But since you are in that area already, you might as well hit up some shopping at Shinjuku and Shibuya. Shibuya is known to be the origin of ALL asian fashion. Drop by the 109 in front of Hachiko, my fiancee thinks that shibuya its the heaven for all girls.. Shinjuku doesn't have much, Kabukicho cleaned up a lot, but its still not the safest place in Japan, so avoid Kabukicho at night, you are safe during the day though. Otherwise, Shinjuku is just a giant shopping area. The night scene is quite interesting. Roppongi Hills, Ginza, Asakusa.... all these are great places for tourist too. Oh, sunshine city, they have a food theme park that have all kind of food if that interest you

Odaiba is worth spending a day for tourist, you can take the morning train across, but I highly recommend walking over the rainbow bridge at night, the view is just amazing.... there are several museum in Daiba. Toyota have a test track in Daiba that lets you try out the latest car, all automated, do get your international driver license before hand....

thats about all that i can suggest.. have fun
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
07-31-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Don't scare her like that... Japan is probably one of the safest place for foreigner. Its just common sense that you take extra care of yourself when you are on a trip. The hosts handing out flyers are usually harmless, unless you try chatting them up or give them dirty looks....why would any tourist do this anywhere else?
Ah, hehe. Sorry. I was in kind of a negative mindset when I wrote this because of a related article I had just read. I'm uh, not fond of the hosts.

Quote:
By the shore area, Kaiyukan is one of the world largest aquarium, so thats a good sight.
They have a whale shark!!!

Quote:
just make sure you don't wander into a co-ed bath
Or maybe you just accidentally happen to "misread" the sign.

All in all... I'd say spend more time in Osaka and Kyoto than in Tokyo. Cuz I'm an Osaka guy and I'm extremely biased.

(Never been to Tokyo, but you should take godwine's advice cuz that sounds like a great trip right there! Hey maybe I'll do it too...)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-31-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Ah, hehe. Sorry. I was in kind of a negative mindset when I wrote this because of a related article I had just read. I'm uh, not fond of the hosts.

They have a whale shark!!!

Or maybe you just accidentally happen to "misread" the sign.

All in all... I'd say spend more time in Osaka and Kyoto than in Tokyo. Cuz I'm an Osaka guy and I'm extremely biased.

(Never been to Tokyo, but you should take godwine's advice cuz that sounds like a great trip right there! Hey maybe I'll do it too...)

I agree to that last part, most of what they have in Tokyo, they have in Osaka. Tokyo itself doesn't have too much to offer, except for its local culture. The only thing that Tokyo offer is probably difference scene and thats about it. Osaka has much better food (Personal opinion) though.

Yokohama is probably my favourite, just around the Landmark Tower area have enough to last you a full day... then the port, china town.. ramen museum... hmmm..

OOOOOH, Talking of which, when you are in Osaka, make sure you go and create your own personalized instant noodle at the museum, and go take a picture in front of Koshien.. its like all Japanese kid dream to play at the Koshien...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RediscoverTravel (Offline)
JF Regular

07-31-2009, 07:17 PM

While you are in the Kansai are spend the night on Mt Koya. It is great way to relax and recharge.

---
Japanese Guest Houses
Ryokan (Japanese Inn) Reservation Service
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Mikanena (Offline)
New to JF

07-31-2009, 08:36 PM

ive been to the golden pavilion! It was soooooo nice!!!!!!
But unfotunately it was a one day trip so i didn't get to go to any of the castles... but I did see a maiko! She was surrounded! I felt a bit of pity for her! All the foreigners were totally takin tons of pictures of her and crowding her. So my host sister took one casually from afar for me.
I loved going to namba and shinsaibashi! especially on busy days.. it's crowded and has lots of sales!!! And thanks for reminding me of the takoyaki! I know the pain! haha.
OH! The hosts! OH! I know what you are talking about. We took pictures with a group of them haha! They are very ... uh... interesting and some will talk english! But i think they are really nice! haha.
OH I remember the ferris wheel! And somewhere near it you can find the 100 yen shop! LOADS of stuff!

it seems like i'll be spendin more time in Osaka then in Tokyo again ahah! But I love osaka! So it's okay. I can be more of a tourist this time around!

Questions:
-In kyoto, there was this place to go shopping.. it's like kinda a dotonbori? like it's a street where people sell lots of things, really nice place for souvenirs, sell lots of kimonos during the fireworks in the summer, Um... it's next to a river with a bridge. Hrmm. I'm trying to remember it.. cause i totally want to go there. They also had a crab! But it's not dotonbori in osaka, but similar.
-How to you get to the umeda sky building?
-What exactly is an izakaya or yakiniku? Where can i find them?
-Where is the noodle museum? (you know the one with the personalizing thing? haha)
- Does anyone know how I can get a Rail pass? What are some limits and details? I'm planning to get it, but i want to make it worth it.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2009, 11:09 PM

You might be restricted to youth hostel type places for accommodation I'm afraid, as it seems a lot of hotels won't take reservations when none of the people staying are 20 or over.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-01-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikanena View Post
ive been to the golden pavilion! It was soooooo nice!!!!!!
But unfotunately it was a one day trip so i didn't get to go to any of the castles... but I did see a maiko! She was surrounded! I felt a bit of pity for her! All the foreigners were totally takin tons of pictures of her and crowding her. So my host sister took one casually from afar for me.
I loved going to namba and shinsaibashi! especially on busy days.. it's crowded and has lots of sales!!! And thanks for reminding me of the takoyaki! I know the pain! haha.
OH! The hosts! OH! I know what you are talking about. We took pictures with a group of them haha! They are very ... uh... interesting and some will talk english! But i think they are really nice! haha.
OH I remember the ferris wheel! And somewhere near it you can find the 100 yen shop! LOADS of stuff!

it seems like i'll be spendin more time in Osaka then in Tokyo again ahah! But I love osaka! So it's okay. I can be more of a tourist this time around!

Questions:
-In kyoto, there was this place to go shopping.. it's like kinda a dotonbori? like it's a street where people sell lots of things, really nice place for souvenirs, sell lots of kimonos during the fireworks in the summer, Um... it's next to a river with a bridge. Hrmm. I'm trying to remember it.. cause i totally want to go there. They also had a crab! But it's not dotonbori in osaka, but similar.
-How to you get to the umeda sky building?
-What exactly is an izakaya or yakiniku? Where can i find them?
-Where is the noodle museum? (you know the one with the personalizing thing? haha)
- Does anyone know how I can get a Rail pass? What are some limits and details? I'm planning to get it, but i want to make it worth it.
1. Are you referring to the Pontocho along the Kamo river? I don't know of any shops along it, maybe you are thinking of some festivals? I don't recall anything like dotonbori in Kyoto, there are a lot of stores along the way to Kiyomizu Dera though
2. North west corner off the Umeda station. You can see it, just walk towards it
3. Izakaya is like a bar/pub, traditional japanese style, you can find the all over the place. Yakiniku is BBQ meat, Yakitori is BBQ chickent, just menu item at an izakaya
4. I need to look this up for you, i don't remember exactly, but you can look for it yourself.. its just the Nissin Instant Noodle museum
5. Where are you from? You need to order it from a local outlet and pick it up in japan.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-01-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:

I agree with all the parts in red. I dont disagree with the other parts, I just cant vouch for them since I havent been to those other places.

If your wanting some matcha green tea, get some at kingakuji. They have matcha tea with gold flakes in it. It a cool souvenir that ties in to the golden temple.

And I agree with going to himeji. Its a fairly small town, and easy to get around. Great for a day trip, everything is within walking distance of the train station. Plus Himeji castle is amazing.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.