JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
bigpun (Offline)
New to JF

Japan Noob - 07-29-2009, 09:30 PM

Hi all,

I'm a brand new member just joined up after lurking for a while now.

So, i've always wanted to go to Japan and a few weeks ago I decided enough was enough and I plucked up the courage to book a ticket to head out. I'm flying out by myself, but meeting a friend who currently lives out there.

I'll be out there for around 2 weeks, and plan to visit Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo, and then hopefully onto climb Mt Fuji

While i'll be with my friend for the first week or so, because of his work commitments the second week i'll be venturing out on my own rather than being restricted as to what I can do.

I'm really excited and the experience will be great! I am a bit nervous though about being alone in such a different place, so if anyone has any tips then i'd love to hear your advice - or even better, if there's anyone out in the Tokyo region in a couple of weeks who wants to meet up that'd be great

Thank's for reading
(#2 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
07-29-2009, 09:44 PM

Good for you for getting up the courage to do such a thing! Most people are content to sit in their rooms and watch anime or something, but you're taking the bull by its horns and that's really commendable!

As for advice, how's your Japanese? Someone else posted some good links on another thread for survival Japanese phrases if you are lacking, I'm sure they'll pop in with the same links again, hopefully. The average Japanese person you'll see on the street will usually be pretty scared of English and hence avoid you if you seem to be headed that way. There's various reasons but they're very rarely malicious, and actually for every one of them, there's one or two people who have taken an active interest in learning English and will jump at the chance to talk with you and help you out, maybe even show you around!

I find that you'll have no problem getting around, getting help, and having a fantastic time. English is EVERYWHERE, so you can even navigate the subways and train lines relatively problem-free!

I would say just bring lots of cash and get it changed out at the airport; hardly any place will take credit so never rely on it.

If I can think of anything else I'll post it! I hope you enjoy Osaka, that's my city!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-30-2009, 12:09 AM

I could be wrong, but I think someone around her posted about Mt. Fuji and how at certain times of the year, you can't climb up there. Just make sure you look into it before going to be sure.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2009, 01:10 AM

You be having too much fun to worry too much. And people there are very helpful if you have a problem, just make sure you have a dictionary with you to help you. Have a great trip!

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpun View Post
Hi all,

I'm a brand new member just joined up after lurking for a while now.

So, i've always wanted to go to Japan and a few weeks ago I decided enough was enough and I plucked up the courage to book a ticket to head out. I'm flying out by myself, but meeting a friend who currently lives out there.

I'll be out there for around 2 weeks, and plan to visit Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo, and then hopefully onto climb Mt Fuji

While i'll be with my friend for the first week or so, because of his work commitments the second week i'll be venturing out on my own rather than being restricted as to what I can do.

I'm really excited and the experience will be great! I am a bit nervous though about being alone in such a different place, so if anyone has any tips then i'd love to hear your advice - or even better, if there's anyone out in the Tokyo region in a couple of weeks who wants to meet up that'd be great

Thank's for reading
Outstanding. You'll have a blast...
Don't be afraid to ask authorities or transporation staff for help Japanese or English...

In the past I've had a better trip after doing so rather than relying completely on one set of directions or map.
If the destination in Japan seems a bit dounting alone... see if there is some short inexpensive tour that you can be with a group for a while... in which case you may pick up a travel partner(s).

Doesn't hurt to get a pre-paid phone at the airport if going to real rural areas, else pay phone. You may not need it, but good to have it if you run into a travel issue or whatnot.

Have fun..