JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
PocketRockets285 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to PocketRockets285
My trip in 2010 - 08-09-2009, 04:13 PM

So, I have been thinking of traveling around Japan for AGES, now I'm finally able to do it! I will be going for a month, in March/April 2010.

The flight ticket and Japan Rail Pass will already be paid for, so I reckon I will have about £3500-4000 to spend on accommodation and other expenses while in Japan.

My question is, what's the best way to go about organisimg my accommodation while I'm travelling? I'll be moving around a great deal, so I was thinking of registering with either Japanese Inn group Japanese Inn Group Home Page | Traditional Ryokans, Hostels, Hotels, Backpackers, B&B, and Guest Houses in Japan OR the Welcome Inn Reservation Centre WIRC | Japan Hotels, Ryokan and inn Online Reservation

If anyone has any experience with either website, or any other ideas, I'd love to hear them... thanks!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-09-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketRockets285 View Post
So, I have been thinking of traveling around Japan for AGES, now I'm finally able to do it! I will be going for a month, in March/April 2010.

The flight ticket and Japan Rail Pass will already be paid for, so I reckon I will have about £3500-4000 to spend on accommodation and other expenses while in Japan.

My question is, what's the best way to go about organisimg my accommodation while I'm travelling? I'll be moving around a great deal, so I was thinking of registering with either Japanese Inn group Japanese Inn Group Home Page | Traditional Ryokans, Hostels, Hotels, Backpackers, B&B, and Guest Houses in Japan OR the Welcome Inn Reservation Centre WIRC | Japan Hotels, Ryokan and inn Online Reservation

If anyone has any experience with either website, or any other ideas, I'd love to hear them... thanks!!
I have been dealing with Japanhotel.net for a many years now with positive experience, other members suggest something else : JapanHotel.net Japanese Business Hotels, Ryokans, Minshukus, Guest Houses, Hot Springs and other accommodation maybe you can give them a shout?

How long are you going for? 3500-4000 seems alot....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
PocketRockets285 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to PocketRockets285
08-12-2009, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the link, godwine - that website looks pretty useful.

One question about booking - I'll be making reservations while I'm in Japan, probably online, and I noticed that bookings should ideally be made 10 days before the arrival date at the hotel.

That might not always be possible, because I was planning on being flexible with regard to when and where I travel, so should I be thinking about this another way, or should I work out my accommodation and travel itinerary before I leave?

Once again, any input would be appreciated
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-12-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketRockets285 View Post
Thanks for the link, godwine - that website looks pretty useful.

One question about booking - I'll be making reservations while I'm in Japan, probably online, and I noticed that bookings should ideally be made 10 days before the arrival date at the hotel.

That might not always be possible, because I was planning on being flexible with regard to when and where I travel, so should I be thinking about this another way, or should I work out my accommodation and travel itinerary before I leave?

Once again, any input would be appreciated
It is easier to cancel than it is to find a place to sleep in a remote area after dark. I would book them all in advance.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-12-2009, 11:48 PM

If you will be staying in fairly large cities, you can just look for a place when you arrive. Even if your 1st and 2nd choice are filled, you'll always be able to find SOME place with vacancy. I did this in Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Matsuyama, etc without any problem, though if you travel in the peek season it may be tougher.

If there is a specific ryokan/hotel you definitely want to stay at, or you're staying in a more remote or exclusive area (on Miyajima Island or another popular spot, in a small town, etc), then you should try to make a reservation.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-13-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
If you will be staying in fairly large cities, you can just look for a place when you arrive. Even if your 1st and 2nd choice are filled, you'll always be able to find SOME place with vacancy. I did this in Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Matsuyama, etc without any problem, though if you travel in the peek season it may be tougher.

If there is a specific ryokan/hotel you definitely want to stay at, or you're staying in a more remote or exclusive area (on Miyajima Island or another popular spot, in a small town, etc), then you should try to make a reservation.
I am leaning towards MMM idea of booking in advance. I didn't lock down my itinerary till now (For october) and sadly a lot of my "hotels of choice" are fully booked already. I am definitely supportive to the idea of booking WAY in advance
(#7 (permalink))
Old
New (Offline)
New to JF

10-06-2009, 01:12 PM

i also going in Mar / April 2010.

who else?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

10-06-2009, 01:34 PM

I never booked and found it was always easy in small towns to find a local Ryokan or Japanese Style 'Pension' (Spelling') hotel.

In the lrager towns, you are never out of sight of the larger Western STyle hotels, albeit with smaller rooms.

Cheers - Oz