JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Tokaido shinkansen screwed up royally today - 08-11-2009, 12:12 PM

If anyone is reading this and is planning trips headed south (West) of Tokyo, the earthquake this morning really screwed up the shinkansen. Be aware of possible delays. I had the misfortune to be using it from Tokyo to Nagoya today. It is really strange to be sitting on that kind of train and moving about as fast as a bicycle. Or sitting stopped for 40 minutes.

Hopefully the backlog of peole trying to get places will clear up soon..... but the stations were a mess. The JR folks were not happy campers.

best,

.............john

PS: Posting from Japan...so today is 8/11 at night here.

Last edited by JBaymore : 08-11-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Specifying time and date.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-11-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
If anyone is reading this and is planning trips headed south (West) of Tokyo, the earthquake this morning really screwed up the shinkansen. Be aware of possible delays. I had the misfortune to be using it from Tokyo to Nagoya today. It is really strange to be sitting on that kind of train and moving about as fast as a bicycle. Or sitting stopped for 40 minutes.

Hopefully the backlog of peole trying to get places will clear up soon..... but the stations were a mess. The JR folks were not happy campers.

best,

.............john

PS: Posting from Japan...so today is 8/11 at night here.
But isn't that normal after a quake? I mean, its totally understandable...

Had it been Canada, everything will shut down for days....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JojoBizarre (Offline)
JF Regular

08-11-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
But isn't that normal after a quake? I mean, its totally understandable...

Had it been Canada, everything will shut down for days....
true that.

sometimes the metro is close or not running for no damn reason!

Blame the others!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
cosmicenema (Offline)
JF Regular

08-11-2009, 02:26 PM

We're planning on going to Tokyo next month and when my wife saw this on the news she freaked out. Does anyone have any comforting links about how earthquake proof Tokyo is? We travel to earthquake prone California all the time so I don't know what the deal is. Thanks!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-11-2009, 03:18 PM

Japan has many small quake in different region every year. So far I experienced 3 or 4 myself. I have never experienced a major quake but judging from the quake from the last 2 days, I think it is fairly "quakeproof" per say.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-12-2009, 12:55 AM

What do you mean by "quakeproof"? Most newer buildings are built to fairly strict regulations, which is supposed to mitigate damage from earthquakes, but noone really knows exactly what will happen. In the two medium-sized quakes we have just had, nothing even fell over in my 4th floor apartment. This is a big city, and so if there is a very large earthquake, which might happen tomorrow, or 50 or 100 years from now, there will certainly be a lot of casualties.

Those of us who live in Tokyo live with this every day- you are just visiting. If you don't want to take your chances, then don't come. Keep in mind that the chances of you getting hit by a bus next time you cross a street are considerably higher than the chances of you dying in an earthquake.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-12-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
What do you mean by "quakeproof"? Most newer buildings are built to fairly strict regulations, which is supposed to mitigate damage from earthquakes, but noone really knows exactly what will happen. In the two medium-sized quakes we have just had, nothing even fell over in my 4th floor apartment. This is a big city, and so if there is a very large earthquake, which might happen tomorrow, or 50 or 100 years from now, there will certainly be a lot of casualties.

Those of us who live in Tokyo live with this every day- you are just visiting. If you don't want to take your chances, then don't come. Keep in mind that the chances of you getting hit by a bus next time you cross a street are considerably higher than the chances of you dying in an earthquake.
No need to be harsh, he just want to know if they will be safe. I do agree with you though, there is no telling. Thats why its called an "accident" since its not planned

I mean, Fuji is long due for an eruption (according to the scientist, as its estimiated the Fuji erupt every 10 years or so, and it has't for the last 30 years), if it does erupt, it will be a MASSIVE one, but people around it don't live in fear, and its definitely not stoping other tourist.

My friend was sitting in his living room when a truck lose control and ploughed into his living room, stopping literally an inch short of hitting him.....

Anything can happen...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-12-2009, 12:23 PM

Yeah..... it is normal with a significant jiishin that the trains either take a little damage.... or they just have to check IF they took some damage brfore sending a high speed train down the tracks. The whole "shut down" seemed like it amounted to about 5-6 hours total. Not sure if the backlog of people are back to normal today or not.

Yes... most other countries would likely be down for DAYS. Japan is used to this stuff.

There was some major damage to some roads though...... so that may put some extra pressure on the trains since many people will be traveling for O-Bon.

I have to head for Kyoto tomorrow from here in Tokoname..... so I hope it is not too crazy.

A friend quoted a Japanese friend of his; "Jiishin is the price we must pay for enjoying onsen and other natural beauty here." Well put.

best,

................john
(#9 (permalink))
Old
cosmicenema (Offline)
JF Regular

08-12-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
No need to be harsh, he just want to know if they will be safe.
Thanks. I know we'll be safe . . . like I said we travel to California all the time and have been in earthquakes there. I was just looking for some comforting statistics. I got an email from my grandma today saying I shouldn't go because of this . . . nevermind the whole bus on the wrong side of the road thing.