(#11 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Seven Eleven
This place absolutely saved me when it came to getting cash on my visit to Japan, since you can easily find them everywhere.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-24-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriyuri View Post
This place absolutely saved me when it came to getting cash on my visit to Japan, since you can easily find them everywhere.
Actually Seven Eleven are not very common in the Kansai region.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-25-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Actually Seven Eleven are not very common in the Kansai region.
Right, it's Lawsons that are everywhere, 7/11 was only in the big cities like Osaka.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

08-25-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicenema View Post
  • Do most ATMs take foreign cards?
  • Are most ATMs in English?
  • If I bring some 10k bills are they going to be usable? For example in the States most places won't/can't break a $100 bill and even a $50 is too high some places.
  • Does anyone have a recommendation for a good bank to use in Japan from the States? My bank has some very high fees.
Most don't take foreign cards, try citibank they usually do but are not so numerous. SMBC banks are much more common, most have English help and when I push English it sometimes asks if it was a card issued in Japan or abroad so it seems they take foreign cards.

English ATMs are Citibank/SMBC/7-11

There is no problems with 10k bills. I have never, ever been asked if I have anything smaller. Don't be put out as they yell 10k going in as they put it in the register, that guy behind you is not likely to mug you for your change.

Lots of places in the cities take credit cards and ATMs have cashing services but a word of advice on this, tell your credit card company where you are going. Some stop the card as soon as it is used in a suspicious place and far away Japan can seem dodgy to the computer systems

(#15 (permalink))
Old
cosmicenema (Offline)
JF Regular

08-25-2009, 01:38 PM

Thanks again for the tips! One more question!

Some places I travel they don't like to take cards that say "See ID" on the back. They want the signature. Do you know if they care in Japan? Will they even notice?

Also - I've heard so many different answers on the Cash vs. Credit Card question I'd just like more feedback. We're going to Tokyo and for the most part staying there. My plan has been to take the cash I think we'll spend for sight seeing, food, and transportation but to use the credit card for shopping if we find anything. Is this reasonable or should I bring cash for shopping to? I assume most western places would take the credit cards but will local shops in Akibahara and the like?

Last edited by cosmicenema : 08-25-2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: add question
(#16 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-25-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks again for the tips! One more question!

Some places I travel they don't like to take cards that say "See ID" on the back. They want the signature. Do you know if they care in Japan? Will they even notice?

Also - I've heard so many different answers on the Cash vs. Credit Card question I'd just like more feedback. We're going to Tokyo and for the most part staying there. My plan has been to take the cash I think we'll spend for sight seeing, food, and transportation but to use the credit card for shopping if we find anything. Is this reasonable or should I bring cash for shopping to? I assume most western places would take the credit cards but will local shops in Akibahara and the like?
Why are you worry about the signature check???

Credit card is accepted at most major stores and restaurant. Cash is best for sightseeing (Admission fee) and others...
(#17 (permalink))
Old
cosmicenema (Offline)
JF Regular

08-25-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Why are you worry about the signature check???
I've been to some places where they won't accept it if it isn't signed with a signature. Just a strange thing. Not too worried about it!
(#18 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-25-2009, 02:47 PM

if you do have trouble with the see id thing and a shop wont accept it just move onto the next shop. if youre going to be shopping anywhere other than the really small local shops chances are the prices wont vary that much for whatever youre looking for. smaller shops are sometimes more expensive anyway. its very different from the way taiwan or hong kong might be where one shop might give you a great deal.

take enough cash, and bring extra just in case tokyo works out to be pricier than you thought. its really safe, unless you go looking for trouble, so take as much as you want. since it sounds like there are 2 of you going split it between the two of you just in case anything happens, however unlikely.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

08-25-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I've been to some places where they won't accept it if it isn't signed with a signature. Just a strange thing. Not too worried about it!
You don't need to sign if it's under 10,000 yen
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-25-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abasio View Post
You don't need to sign if it's under 10,000 yen
That depends on the store. Some will have you sign for even the most paltry amounts.

I`ve only once had the person at the register check my signature to the one on the card. Once. Out of who knows how many hundreds of card uses. I remember it because it was incredibly strange to see it be checked.

I have heard of places not wanting to accept a card if there is no signature on the back at all, but never about any complaints regarding the form/shape/etc of the signature. I even know someone who draws a little dog face as their signature.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.