JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Lady (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation traveling to Tokyo in octobre and need help - 08-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Hi everyone!!

We are a group of 4 ppl and we are travelling to Japan (Tokyo) for the first time in a octobre, and we were hoping you can help us.
Our hotel is in the Asakusabashi area, next to Akihabara electrical town. We booked our hotel for 15 nights
* What places can you recommend us to visit for sure/sightseeing spots, the places to be.
* Is it possible to visit Mt Fuji in one day from our hotel
* we don't eat meat what kind of dishes do you recommend us, how do we ask if there is meat in our dish.

Kind regards

Lady
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-24-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
Hi everyone!!

We are a group of 4 ppl and we are travelling to Japan (Tokyo) for the first time in a octobre, and we were hoping you can help us.
Our hotel is in the Asakusabashi area, next to Akihabara electrical town. We booked our hotel for 15 nights
* What places can you recommend us to visit for sure/sightseeing spots, the places to be.
* Is it possible to visit Mt Fuji in one day from our hotel
* we don't eat meat what kind of dishes do you recommend us, how do we ask if there is meat in our dish.

Kind regards

Lady
15 nigst is a LOT.. what do you like to see? There are plenty of sigths around that area, but it will not last you 2 weeks.. consider Nikko and other surrounding city. I highly recommend Yokohama... As for Fuji, what do you mean "VISIT"? if its just for a glimpse of it, then taking a boat cruise on Lake Ashi might be sufficient, if thats the case, make a 2 days trip in Hakone to relax a bit at the onsen as well....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-24-2009, 06:05 PM

Why spend 15 nights in 1 hotel when there are hundreds of hotels in Tokyo...and I agree with Godwine...I once spent 10 days in Tokyo strictly on vacation and ran out of things to do. If you have the means take the bullet train to Osaka and visiy Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara (all under an hour from Osaka station).

How strict vegetarian are you?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Lady (Offline)
New to JF

08-24-2009, 11:47 PM

[quote=godwine;764417]
Hi Godwine thanks for reaction
15 nigst is a LOT
we have been to NY for a week and we haven't seen it all thats why we are taking 15 nights to visit Tokyo ( in the back of our heads thinking it's much bigger).so we don't have to rush things

what do you like to see?
bit of everything: culture,japanees gardens, shopping, sumo wrestlers ofcourse, ...

As for Fuji, what do you mean "VISIT"?
meaning like go over there but not climb the it, like in not staying the night.

In most big cities you have these hop on hop off busses is there something of that kind in Tokyo?

Greetings
The Ladies
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Lady (Offline)
New to JF

08-24-2009, 11:56 PM

Hi MMM
Thanks for your reaction

[quote=MMM;764418]Why spend 15 nights in 1 hotel when there are hundreds of hotels in Tokyo
Like we said it's our first time and we don't know others who visited to give us tips when we booked our trip and the lady of the traveling agency was not a big help. And we just find out to day this forum. bit late we know

If you have the means take the bullet train to Osaka and visiy Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara (all under an hour from Osaka station).
if we have the means??? meaning money??? how much will it cost just to get an idea

How strict vegetarian are you?
Like "kosher" strict in this case, part of our religion: we are not allowed to eat meat

Greetings
The Ladies
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Lady (Offline)
New to JF

08-27-2009, 05:46 PM

(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-27-2009, 06:39 PM

With rail passes you can ride the shinkansen (bullet trains) for free for the length of you pass. It's usually a couple hundred dollars one way.

In terms of "kosher" I mean, do you eat fish, dairy products, etc? It can be sometimes hard to find restaurants that use strictly vegetable oil when deep-frying.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
08-27-2009, 07:49 PM

I think 15 days is quite ok, ive spend more time here but havent seen it all, my list of recomodations:

1 day in Odaiba (Tokyo bay Area). See the Ocean, ride the ferry wheel, go to Toyota and the fancy covered Shopping arcade (cant remember the name)

Spent some time exploring the street of Asakusa and go to the tempel

Akihabara, the place of electronic, manga, anime, and Maidcafes (i wrote more in the post named Akihabara in the "living in Japan" section

spend some time in Shibuya, see the crazy street crossing near the station. If you are into clubbing than Shibuya is the place to be. Take a stroll along the so called "love hotel hill" and watch the funny shapes and maybe get a glimpse and some roompictures.

Spend and evening in shinjuku´s neonlights. Stroll through Kabukicho to see the pink salons, soaplands and their like.

Visit the palace

Visit Harajuku on the weekend to see bands and dressing up. Also nice for shopping if you search something special.
This can be nicely combined with a visistroll though Yoyogipark and the shrine

Spent some time in Uenos Amejokocho, the ex-blackmarket

Take a drive out to Kichijoji wich is famous with the locals for nice shopping in many small shops. Try to get there on the weekend and stroll through the inokashirapark there will be a market (you have to take the Chuo line from Shinjuku)

There is a Koreatown near Shinjuku but i dont remember the station name and i havent been there

There is Tokyo Disneyland but i can only recommend it if you have kids travelling with you. Try not to go on the weekend

Go on top of the Tower

Go to Roppongi where theirs lots of foreigners and international flavour restaurants. You either hate it or like it ( i didnt). Roppongi Hills is the rich area and might be worth a stroll

Spend 1 hour in an internetcafe even if just to see the service (free drinks, personal box, tons of manga,...)

Karaoke? they have quite a few english songs

Ginza is the highclass shoppingarea if thats your case, Shibuya can be expensive.

i havent been to Yokohama but i think its worth the visit. its only 1 hour from Tokyo.

There are buses in Tokyo, however most are local and hard to navigate for beginners. I would recommend to use the train or subway, it will bring you nearly everywhere. I felt the train was more practical and a bit cheaper. Distances can be far so make sure you know something is before you attempt to walk. Taxis are expensive. Trains stopp running just past midnight as does the Subway and most buses. Earlier on the weekend.

Im sure theres more to do but i cant think of anything right now. My Top 3 are: Inokashirakoen on the Weekend (near Kichijoji)
Amejokocho the market in Ueno (oh there is a park as well!)
Harajuku on the weekend (see the cosplayers, bands and eventually the dancing elvis´s)

Otherwise Nikko is a nice trip as well!
if you dont eat fish as well you will eventually have a hard time.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#9 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2009, 10:01 PM

Fish and dairy product useless?
Vegetarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
To which do it apply?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Inzaghi22 (Offline)
New to JF

08-28-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
culture,japanees gardens, shopping, sumo wrestlers ofcourse, ...
This will be a problem, there are six tournaments, three in Tokyo. The last one in Tokyo takes place from 13th til 27th of september. There is no tournament in october, the next one is in November in Fukuoka.